Fay

Lord of the Rings discussion thread

Fay   

We've discovered recently there are quite a few LOTR nerds almost  quoting Silmarillion over here - so let's get a place of our in the planet and talk about anything on Middle Earth - be it a book or film versions.

So when did you start your journey through Middle Earth? And what captured you?

Who do you identify with in the Tolkien's world?

Do you like Peter Jackson's films?

Etc etc etc - be free to discuss anything if you like!!!

Puniyo   

I've only watched the LOTR trilogy so far... I really do want to read the books though.

I'm just too lost in its OST lately... :party0035:

Fay   

I have to say that I was excited about Jackson's LOTR (though VERY critical of some changes - really, Peter, the ents were that stupid?), but the Hobbit turned out to be a complete failure to me despite superior computer-generated work. Martin Freeman was excellent as Bilbo, the dwarves were good, Ian McKellen was fantastic - but the story could have been told in a single two-hour movie.

OMG YES YES YES A LOTR / HOBBIT / SILMARILLION DISCUSSION PAGE!!!

OMG BLESS YOU ALL FOR STARTING THIS DISCUSSION!!!

YAY!!! :Strawberry: :Strawberry: :Strawberry:

please excuse my excitement - i LOVE LOVE LOVE the lotr/silmarillion stories since i was a kid and it's always so wonderful to see fellow fans!

as for the movies, the original rings trilogy were really well made (despite the plot changes, but they weren't too bad).  i especially love the 4 hour extended special editions which are pretty much the only version i will watch these days.  the cast, costumes, design, music, everything was beautiful.  i especially love the prosthetics they used (instead of too much fake looking cgi)

the hobbit movies were decent but i honestly think they could've told the entire story in a 3 hour movie (with a 4 hour extended version for director's cut).  the hobbit book is TINY compared to the original rings trilogy, and yet they took 3 movies to tell this story of a tiny book...

they added so many unnecessary stuff that dragged the movie so slowly ... i even fell asleep during some bits (and i'm a fan!)

the actors and cast did a great job, the costumes were beautiful, music was great, everything was good just as you expect, except the cgi were too much (way too much!) and the script itself had many problems.

but at the end of the day i'm still glad the hobbit movies were made because i waited for like 12 years for them to be made after lotr finished.  i'm happy with most of it except for the dragged out plot...

also, i really REALLY want a silmarillion tv series one day!

even tho it's highly unlikely (with the copyrights and all) but still!

silmarillion would work beautifully as a tv series (not so much movies because movies aren't long enough for silmarillion)

i love silmarillion the best out of all tolkien's works so...

1 hour ago, Puniyo said:

I've only watched the LOTR trilogy so far... I really do want to read the books though.

I'm just too lost in its OST lately... :party0035:

the lotr (and hobbit) ost are some of the BEST ost i've ever had the pleasure of hearing!!!

omg i replay them on a regular basis like i love love LOVE the music SO MUCH

especially the EPIC music (all the battles, dwarves, etc.) and then the very beautiful elven music

the hobbit / shire music is very relaxing and helps me go to sleep when i feel stressed

also i really really want to see more people skate to lotr / hobbit music rather than all the music that have been done many time before

Fay   

I expected to get the LOTR OST used a lot more by skaters, honestly. It's such sweeping epic music. Rohan has got to be my favourite theme!

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

I expected to get the LOTR OST used a lot more by skaters, honestly. It's such sweeping epic music. Rohan has got to be my favourite theme!

OMG YES!  i LOVE the rohan theme!  and when the rohirrim ride out to face battle!  OMG THE EPICNESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

also, EOWYN IS SUCH A BADASS OMG SHE's SO AWESOME - A ROLE MODEL FOR ALL WOMEN!!!

i love eomer too!  he's AWESOME and i love how good and brave and badass he is ... actually eomer and eowyn are just AWESOME siblings full stop.

1 minute ago, ralucutzagy said:

I love Billy Boyd's voice and the way he sings almost every sad song from both trilogies. The entire LOTR - Hobbit's music is so beautiful.:BeatingHeart::BeatingHeart::BeatingHeart:

yes this!  billy boyd's songs are wonderful and it was so good of them to get him to sing the last goodbye!  how beautiful and meaningful!!!  i remember when that music video came out i rewatched it SO MANY times omg hahaha

Fay   

Eowyn was just great - Miranda Otto nailed the part, I agree.

And Billy Boyd's singing part - yes, that was just heart-rending!

Puniyo   

We have serious LOTR fans here... :0001:

I remember that LOTR became very famous in Portugal around the time when Harry Potter got also a lot of attention. My friends would always compare both series even though they are so different from each other! 

And 'The Return of the King' was actually the first movie I ever watched on a cinema theater so it kind of holds a special place in my heart... haha!

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

Eowyn was just great - Miranda Otto nailed the part, I agree.

And Billy Boyd's singing part - yes, that was just heart-rending!

eowyn casting was spot on and miranda was just awesome :snpeace:

billy's singing is wonderful and part of the highlights of this wonderful movie series! :pbow:

Fay   
1 minute ago, Puniyo said:

We have serious LOTR fans here... :0001:

I remember that LOTR became very famous in Portugal around the time when Harry Potter got also a lot of attention. My friends would always compare both series even though they are so different from each other! 

And 'The Return of the King' was actually the first movie I ever watched on a cinema theater so it kind of holds a special place in my heart... haha!

You started with the Return of the King?