General Yuzuru Chat

Commercial was launched a while back, but the English subtitles are new.

Yuzu is even competitive about skincare !!!

Please consider leaving a comment to thanks Sekkisei that Yuzu is their Global Muse and for the English subtitles ( and also some grovelling to beg for launch of Sekkisei in your country of residence )

1 hour ago, YuzuJay said:

Miya san is such a fanyu. looks like Miya is in Sendai. 

1 hour ago, YuzuJay said:

Miya san is such a fanyu. looks like Miya is in Sendai. 

Miya is so funny :grin: I wish I had hugged cardboardzuru when I was in Sendai now lol!!

On 5/12/2023 at 6:29 PM, SuzyQ said:

According to this news clip, the electricity costs at Ice Rink Sendai have been tripled :dbana:

https://www.yomiuri.co.jp/sports/winter/20230512-OYT1T50243/

リンクの運営会社によると、施設内の電気代が従来の約3倍に膨らんでいる。氷の下のパイプに冷却液を流す「冷凍機」は24時間稼働させることから、特に運転費用がかさむという。そのため、より電力を使う夏場、日中の一般向け営業を休み、冷凍機の稼働率を落とす。夜間や早朝の貸し切り営業、スケート教室での利用は続け、稼働率を一時的に元に戻す。

According to the rink's management company, electricity costs in the facility have ballooned to about three times the previous cost. The "chillers," which run cooling liquid through pipes under ice 24 hours a day, are particularly expensive to operate, according to the company. Therefore, during the summer months, when more electricity is used, the company closes daytime operations for the general public and reduces the operating rate of the chillers. The operation rate will be temporarily restored to its original level by continuing nighttime and early morning rental operations and use for skating classes. (translated by DeepL)

I remember Yuzuru said he was expecting improvement in ice rink facilities when he was asked about new ice rinks in Tetsuko's Room the other day.  This cost problem at Ice Rink Sendai might have been in his head, just my guessing.

Meanwhile, Hungary gives up hosting 2024 European figure skating championships due to economic reasons :whiteflag:

https://apnews.com/article/figure-skating-european-championships-hungary-d3a31b95c2adbee484a6f89600eb0899

I saw a post from Finland too saying they wouldn't host European Championships 2024 because of economic reasons.

I just listened to a figure skating podcast from 2020 with Nam Nguyen as guest. He spoke very shortly about how Yuzu helped him get his triple axel back: 

Nam: "I remember when I first moved to Brian, I lost my triple axel, because I was going through growth spurt. So I was like not about that jump at all. And I remember this one day when Yuzu just straight up pulls me aside and he is like bro, you got to do this got to do that and this and then you will be able to get your Axel back. And I did it, it was a huge surprise, I followed everything that he told me to do. Euhm and then I was able to get that jump back." 

@09:30 he starts talking about TCC Yuzu & Javi + Yuzu axel part (sadly the yuzu part is very short hahaha) 

10 hours ago, Pammi said:

I saw a post from Finland too saying they wouldn't host European Championships 2024 because of economic reasons.

Also IMO because they fear FS events will not bring in money, considering Finlandia and GP Espoo last year were both (big) flops. 

Did any host countries make any visible profits in the past year, I do wonder? Japan drew in the most respectable amount of audience (hence money) and still, outside of the compulsory NHK Trophy and WTT, I don't think they will host any other major international events in the next couple of years, and that's telling.

12 hours ago, Melodie said:

Also IMO because they fear FS events will not bring in money, considering Finlandia and GP Espoo last year were both (big) flops. 

Did any host countries make any visible profits in the past year, I do wonder? Japan drew in the most respectable amount of audience (hence money) and still, outside of the compulsory NHK Trophy and WTT, I don't think they will host any other major international events in the next couple of years, and that's telling.

iirc Palavela, Torino did not recoup costs and one of the proposed event venues in France has now declined to act as host for future comp. Sources may not be wholly reliable as these were just snippets of info gathered from twt posts

16 hours ago, Melodie said:

I'm afraid this will become even worse from now on. I think in the last couple of years, including last season, many countries and cities were willing to host figure skating events because of their success. And that was, of course, mainly because of Yuzu. He was the one who was responsible for ticket blood baths and sold out venues. Organizers could sell out their venues even at ridiculously high prices and they and the ISU made some nice profits due to Yuzu's popularity.

Obviously, Yuzu as figure skating's cash cow is a thing of the past. The empty seats at competitions last season were a glaring proof of the descent of this formerly beautiful sport into complete irrelevance without Yuzu. Even at the World Championships in Japan, there were plenty of empty seats.

For the ISU, the fat years, the money, and the popularity brought by Yuzu are over. It's too bad for this fundamentally beautiful sport that got destroyed by corruption. But after what the ISU did to Yuzu and other athletes for so many years, I watch everything that's coming to them with Schadenfreude.

2 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

I'm afraid this will become even worse from now on. I think in the last couple of years, including last season, many countries and cities were willing to host figure skating events because of their success. And that was, of course, mainly because of Yuzu. He was the one who was responsible for ticket blood baths and sold out venues. Organizers could sell out their venues even at ridiculously high prices and they and the ISU made some nice profits due to Yuzu's popularity.

Obviously, Yuzu as figure skating's cash cow is a thing of the past. The empty seats at competitions last season were a glaring proof of the descent of this formerly beautiful sport into complete irrelevance without Yuzu. Even at the World Championships in Japan, there were plenty of empty seats.

For the ISU, the fat years, the money, and the popularity brought by Yuzu are over. It's too bad for this fundamentally beautiful sport that got destroyed by corruption. But after what the ISU did to Yuzu and other athletes for so many years, I watch everything that's coming to them with Schadenfreude.

The truth as revealed at the accounts section of the ISU conference last year, also openly discussed the use of funds from profits made from Figure Skating which were allocated to Speed and Short Track. The two latter disciplines have benefitted enormously from Figure, is spite of generating minimal income themselves. The Figure profit was syphoned towards Speed and Short Track and used to provide facilities for both, as well as Figure. This would be regarded by many as uneven distribution of resources.  The popularity of Figure funded ISU almost in its entirety, now alas ISU as a whole will have to manage the deficit. The funds allocated to Speed and Short Track, more than half of the money came from Figure, the income generated from those two disciplines was from advertising and represented a significantly smaller proportion of their annual funding allocation.