Attack on Titan

makebelieveup

5 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

Anyone following this? the finale is finally airing and I am sooo excited. This is one of my all time favorite anime.

I am! Can't believe that it's been now well over 8 years since I watched the first episode and I had no idea it would become so huge back then. I'm both an anime watcher and manga reader so I couldn't help but read the whole manga as well. Knowing how it will end I'm excited to see Mappa's adaptation of the finale. I liked what they did so far in spite of what the internet trolls all have said on Twitter.

If you haven't read the manga yet, prepare for some jaw-dropping plot.

My best friend came to visit me a couple of months ago and we let our lungs out while in the car singing along to Shinzou wo sasageyo full blast:roll:

5 minutes ago, Whoopiewoop said:

I am! Can't believe that it's been now well over 8 years since I watched the first episode and I had no idea it would become so huge back then. I'm both an anime watcher and manga reader so I couldn't help but read the whole manga as well. Knowing how it will end I'm excited to see Mappa's adaptation of the finale. I liked what they did so far in spite of what the internet trolls all have said on Twitter.

If you haven't read the manga yet, prepare for some jaw-dropping plot.

My best friend came to visit me a couple of months ago and we let our lungs out while in the car singing along to Shinzou wo sasageyo full blast:roll:

Omgosh I didnt read the manga but I heard a lot of people didnt like it so I hope they'll make the anime ending bettter. I only recently got back into anime and only last year did I start to get into action anime. I just finished season 4 ep 17 and man every season it only got darker! 

okay so I havent read the very ending but did read a bit of spoiler regarding Eren's true intention. Urgh man this is heartbreaking i feel like he is both a protagonist and antagonist at the same time. He is like an antihero. 

Who is your favorite character? Mine is Armin followed by Levi, Jean, Erwin, Hange and Sasha. My least favorite among the main characters is Mikasa, tbh. Also, do you agree with Eren's ideology/method or Zeke's? Eldia vs Marley who is the real bad guy?

48 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

Omgosh I didnt read the manga but I heard a lot of people didnt like it so I hope they'll make the anime ending bettter. I only recently got back into anime and only last year did I start to get into action anime. I just finished season 4 ep 17 and man every season it only got darker! 

okay so I havent read the very ending but did read a bit of spoiler regarding Eren's true intention. Urgh man this is heartbreaking i feel like he is both a protagonist and antagonist at the same time. He is like an antihero. 

Who is your favorite character? Mine is Armin followed by Levi, Jean, Erwin, Hange and Sasha. My least favorite among the main characters is Mikasa, tbh. Also, do you agree with Eren's ideology/method or Zeke's? Eldia vs Marley who is the real bad guy?

I genuinely believe that the people who didn't like the ending are the ones who were expecting a knight in shining armour type of hero, which as it looks like you seem to already know is not the case. The only thing I didn't like is the final 3-4 pages of the last chapter. It did leave me in a bit of a 'wtf'? state. 

I like plots where there is no right nor wrong, it's all very grey. Do I agree with things Eren did? No - but at the same time I know that significant change needs drastic measures and war is never pretty in any shape or form.

I see the logic behind every character's intentions (except effin Yelena, she is like the Joker, just a fanatic of chaos wanting to watch the world burn) but only when you see WHY things became the way they did will you be left a bit shaken and realise that someone specific took it just too far and could technically be blamed for the entire conflict. I read that part of the manga and immediately texted my friend freaking out. Turns out that he had read that exact same part at the same time as I did and we needed to have an emergency video call about it lol

It's hard to say who the bad guy is. Yes, Marley was the oppressor for hundreds of years, and obviously going about it the wrong way, but they had their valid reasons too: fear. Eldians were too dangerous because of their unpredictability and no one wants to have a ticking bomb breathing down their necks, but the way they lived in Paradis Island is partially also their own fault (minus the Titans being man-made by Marlians of course). They couldn't even rule their own people so they came up with lies after lies after lies just to try and keep everything under control.

I'm just going to put this under spoilers in case someone who hasn't watched or read the manga at all comes across this thread. Considering where you are at, you're safe to read lol.

Spoiler

Mikasa is complicated. Eren had a point when he accused her of being fixated on him because she is an Ackermann who we know by now are a bloodline inclined to help and protect Eldian royalty, aka Eren, so the final arc is about her trying to figure out what she wants compared to what her blood is telling her to do. That being said, the reason why he did that is all very clear at the end, at least to me. You just have to connect the dots. You'll get there :D

Armin is the brains, trying to think about everything logically and strategically but he has suffered mentally quite a bit when he became a titan and found himself killing everyone at the port in Marley. He's shaken up and trying to deal with everything while clinging onto his hope to gain their freedom in a positive way but with how things are going, he is clearly still struggling. I like him, but unfortunately, he is weak, and that weakness has prevented him from making an actual difference in Eren's behavior until now. Either that or Eren is just stubborn af.

As for my favorite, and this might come as a surprise, I have a soft spot for Annie. I swear my reasons are valid :P

1 hour ago, Whoopiewoop said:

I genuinely believe that the people who didn't like the ending are the ones who were expecting a knight in shining armour type of hero, which as it looks like you seem to already know is not the case. The only thing I didn't like is the final 3-4 pages of the last chapter. It did leave me in a bit of a 'wtf'? state. 

I like plots where there is no right nor wrong, it's all very grey. Do I agree with things Eren did? No - but at the same time I know that significant change needs drastic measures and war is never pretty in any shape or form.

I see the logic behind every character's intentions (except effin Yelena, she is like the Joker, just a fanatic of chaos wanting to watch the world burn) but only when you see WHY things became the way they did will you be left a bit shaken and realise that someone specific took it just too far and could technically be blamed for the entire conflict. I read that part of the manga and immediately texted my friend freaking out. Turns out that he had read that exact same part at the same time as I did and we needed to have an emergency video call about it lol

It's hard to say who the bad guy is. Yes, Marley was the oppressor for hundreds of years, and obviously going about it the wrong way, but they had their valid reasons too: fear. Eldians were too dangerous because of their unpredictability and no one wants to have a ticking bomb breathing down their necks, but the way they lived in Paradis Island is partially also their own fault (minus the Titans being man-made by Marlians of course). They couldn't even rule their own people so they came up with lies after lies after lies just to try and keep everything under control.

I'm just going to put this under spoilers in case someone who hasn't watched or read the manga at all comes across this thread. Considering where you are at, you're safe to read lol.

Reveal hidden contents

Mikasa is complicated. Eren had a point when he accused her of being fixated on him because she is an Ackermann who we know by now are a bloodline inclined to help and protect Eldian royalty, aka Eren, so the final arc is about her trying to figure out what she wants compared to what her blood is telling her to do. That being said, the reason why he did that is all very clear at the end, at least to me. You just have to connect the dots. You'll get there :D

Armin is the brains, trying to think about everything logically and strategically but he has suffered mentally quite a bit when he became a titan and found himself killing everyone at the port in Marley. He's shaken up and trying to deal with everything while clinging onto his hope to gain their freedom in a positive way but with how things are going, he is clearly still struggling. I like him, but unfortunately, he is weak, and that weakness has prevented him from making an actual difference in Eren's behavior until now. Either that or Eren is just stubborn af.

As for my favorite, and this might come as a surprise, I have a soft spot for Annie. I swear my reasons are valid :P

Spoiler

Okay so I think I have an idea what the ending will be like. 

I agree that the anime is not about who is right or who is wrong. It explores the darkness of war and humanity and how all war is hell. It started with greed for power to dominate from Eldia, and for the same reason it was later dominated by Marley. It's a full vicious cycle that wont stop unless someone chooses to sacrifice something. I love Armin's saying where it says "  "Someone who can't sacrifice anything, can never change anything! In order to overcome a monster, you must be willing to throw aside your humanity." and I think that is exactly what the entire theme is about. That is the reason for the rumbling. I love how the titans are symbolic figures for the montrosity of humanity. And I love how the walls have so many symbolic meanings based on one's perspectives. To Eren, the walls were a cage of his freedom. To the outside world and to the Eldian in the beginning, the walls Eldia's shield. Later they realized the walls were to protect the outside world from Eren. 

Okay so I read that Eren's true intention is to send the rumbling and not to go through with Zeke's euthanasia plan. Zeke's euthanasia plan stems from self hatred. And while it appears to be the less violent plan, its still a mass genocide. It's where his plan differs from Eren's. Eren's always chosen to move forward. Even his type of titan is a symbol of his ideology. The Attack Titan is one that fights not to oppress but for freedom. He believes we are born to this world to be free so there is no way he chooses to go with a plan that takes away a person's choice to live. So it makes sense that he would rather choose to sacrifice the rest of the world than to stop his people from having the freedom to be born. Its somewhat a paradoxical ideology because in order to gain freedom he must kill, but it still makes sense once you understand his values. And I think when we kind of have all of these characters with different ideologies choosing to live out their beliefs, the differences will inevitably lead to greater tragedy and war. So I do not expect a happy typical ending where everyone live happily ever after in the end. It just wouldnt add up. Actually Eren is such an interesting character that while he is not my favorite he is the most interesting one to me personally. And because he is so caught up with the concept of retribution, I have a feeling Eren is the type who will choose to use himself to atone for the sins he committed. 

and finally I also love how the anime explores identity crisis through the eldians living in marley who became brainwashed. They were taught that they are born evil bc of their ancestors and they needed to redeem themselves by killing their own kind in order to be honorary marleyans. Was King Fritz's ideology of pacifism correct or not? Tbh I feel like even if Eldia becomes extinct there would still be other forms of weapons. The problem is hunger for power. Even when Eldia hasnt posed as a threat for years, the Marleyans still tried to brainwash their people and make a devil out of Eldia and try to attack it by sending pure titans. They still persecute the eldians living in Marleys. They still want to find the Founding Titan even when they already have the other 8. So pacificism also didnt solve the problem of war. Its what make the story so genius bc it makes you debate what is right or wrong but there is no absolute answer. Its just based on a person's ideology. And thats why Levi kept asking Eren to choose for himself whatever makes him less regret bc there is no right or wrong answer.

The song is soooo good. That's my favorite OP! I actually like the swan OP too it's such a light song with so much sadness.

why do you like annie? 

8 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

why do you like annie? 

Spoiler

Like is a strong word haha I think that I just understand her a bit better after reading the manga. There are some aspects at the end that I think will make you understand the reasons of why she was way she was and the things she did. Right now she looks like this psycho who doesn’t care for anything, but those tears while in her Titan form when she was almost defeated by the squad in the woods were for a reason. 

I don’t have a favourite to be honest, I appreciate everyone’s character development, admitting that they have good and bad qualities and I look at the story as a whole. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...