Vacation recommendations?

Old Cat Lady

Anyone have any favorite experiences that they would recommend?  

Husband and I tend to be a bit clueless and lazy so something with some sort of structure and/or guidance would be great for us.

Thinking something like a resort with activities near by would be best.

Hmm, one of my favourite experiences was driving through Germany. They have sections of the highway where there's no speed limit, so it was great fun getting from city to city. Made the journey lots of fun instead of just the destination. But you'd have to enjoy driving, and also requires some research on which cities you want to see.

A little more structure - I took my parents on an Alaskan cruise pre-pandemic. They pretty much give you a list of activities each day and you pick and choose what you'd like to do on the boat. Port-wise, most of the stops are tiny towns/villages, so it's super easy to get off the ship and stroll through the town, and get back on with time to spare. Not sure what cruises look like in the current situation though.

Iceland was also really easy. We just based ourselves in Reykjavik and joined some local tours to get driven out and see the sights, then wandered the city on our own for any attractions within the city and shopping. Good mix of fixed itineraries and free time. But again not sure what's open in these times. 

Good luck planning! I thorough miss vacations and travel! :sad-smiley-046:

Hawaii is a worthwhile trip, if they're currently letting visitors in. And every one of the islands is different so you can pretty much have whatever kind of experience you like. I've visited both Oahu and the Big Island and would happily recommend both, although my preference was definitely the Big Island as Oahu is very built-up. 

We stayed at the Royal Kona resort and pretty much ignored all their activities in favour of doing our own. I was with my brother who thought the very best way to spend each day was to find a jungly mountain path for a multi-hour hike, so for me it wasn't exactly a restful vacation, but I did have fun. And when we finally went snorkeling and hit the beaches, it was super amazing. Kona's small enough that you can walk through the main drag in about an hour and find all kinds of places offering tourist activities. 

If you're looking for something closer to home, have you ever been to Lake Placid and the Adirondacks? Very nice cottage-y vacation type of atmosphere where you can do lots or a little, whatever you like.

Thanks for suggestions everyone. 

I have no ideas about where or when we vacation. We'd just go whenever is a good time for the location.

For the first time in our lives, hubby and I make comfortable livings so I want us to have some good life experiences, sort of make up for the times when we were too poor to do anything.

We both want to hit some concerts but who knows when those will happen again. We plan to do Autumn classic if Canada will let us in - hubby's not a fan but he had such a good time that HE's the one bringing it up. But after this season, I don't see myself travelling to competitions unless we want to get together for a reunion.

We want to see Japan and Australia but those might be retirement vacations. 

I always thought a train ride through Europe - a la "Before Sunrise" - might be fun

ETA: we also take separate trips. I'm more adventurous than he but get easily confused so if there's any type of group vacation I could join that would be fun