General Yuzuru Chat

2 hours ago, ZuCritter said:

I won't spoil the suspense by telling the story, but I will observe that the image of the food in question may be accurate, since the person who made "pancake" part of the Yuzu lexicon is a Canadian (but not from Quebec).

ETA: Glad to be reminded, too, of Yuzu's -- and Johnny's -- lovely pancake spins.

Annndd on that note:

Here's a link that explains it perfectly, but for those who TL; DR, "first pancake" refers to the reason why Yuzu would always start the season with a Challenger competition like Autumn Classic. As Brian Orser would say, when you are making pancakes, "the first pancake is always spoiled" because you might not have the temperature of the pan right, or the batter is the wrong consistency,  or you might need more oil in the pan, etc. So, Brian would get Yuzu and his other athletes to do an early season competition every year as a test run for their programs and training, to see what needs to be adjusted.

But over time, it also became a catchphrase for Yuzu's fans, who were often disappointed,  not by Yuzu's skating, but by the quality (or lack thereof) of the judging and the subsequent scores. We'd tell each other "first pancake" and shake it off. Or if Yuzu had a struggle with a jump (like 4S, our favorite snake), same thing, "first pancake".

Hence :pancake: came to be.

Two fun facts:

1. When Evgenia came to TCC, she pointed out that the same idea exists in Russian culture. In her words, "the first pancake is always a lump". 

2. Yuzu's 'first pancakes' were to other skaters' 'first pancakes' as champagne is to water, in my opinion. 

In any case, I doubt we'll ever see another 'first pancake' from Yuzu again. Now that he's a professional, he probably thinks it would be unprofessional to show one.

The article>>

https://coach.co.jp/en/view/the-first-pancake-is-always-spoiled.html

(Ignore the stuff about finance, focus on the Yuzu part.)

On 2024/6/23 at 午前3時54分, fuzz_ball_21さんが言いました:

[NEWS]

This information must be corrected. Photographer Yaguchi-san denied that on his IG live (not archived) last Saturday. He mentioned that the portrait shoot was only 20 minutes. Half of the PB would be portraits, and each book would come with two postcards. The publishing date might be postponed.

1 hour ago, Llbyd said:

This information must be corrected. Photographer Yaguchi-san denied that on his IG live (not archived) last Saturday. He mentioned that the portrait shoot was only 20 minutes. Half of the PB would be portraits, and each book would come with two postcards. The publishing date might be postponed.

Even Japanese fans were surprised by the information contained in the article. I wonder where the person who wrote it got the idea that there were shots in the city. Yaguchi-san must have been very confused by people asking about it 😅