General Yuzuru Chat

Hi everyone!

I hope it's okay to post this here. I've been a fan of Yuzuru since around 2018 and have been a lurker here for about a year.

This Olympics has been emotionally exhausting as I'm sure a lot of you relate to, but it reminded me why I admire Yuzuru Hanyu so much.

I'm a college student in the US and have been dealing with my own struggles with the pressure of living up to expectations in an academic setting. I was watching Yuzu's short program live and after the 4S, I was in shock. I couldn't believe that this had happened to him and honestly I felt pretty devastated. The kind of pressure on him here was insane and I don't know how I would have reacted had such a thing happened to me. My heart went out to him, but the way he responded to the situation really spoke to me and reminded me of why he is so inspiring as a person.

He didn't panic, skated beautifully for the rest of the performance and was calm and collected as he got off the ice. The way he handled the media and the rest of the event was no different.

His resilience in the free skate was no less inspiring. I think he made a good choice to go for the 4A even if people think it potentially cost him a medal. He remained true to himself and what he believed in and performed his best 4A yet (with an injury!). In a way, I think his fourth place finish further proved how much of an impact he has. To me, Yuzu was able to prove here that figure skating is not really about the medals. I know he inspires me just by who he is as a person on-or-off the ice.

A lot of what Yuzu has gone through at this Olympics has spoken to parts of my own life which has given me a lot to think about this week. I hope I can act like him moving forward with my own struggles.

Also, just kind of an interesting side note:

I live in NC's hometown, SLC and I haven't heard a single person talk about his gold medal. I also literally live 5 minutes away from the Olympic torch from 2002, so the Olympics are usually a big deal here (I'm kind of ashamed to say that this gives me a little bit of bitter satisfaction). 

Just goes to show NC will never have the cultural impact Yuzuru has, no matter how many gold medals he wins. :yuzushrug:

2 minutes ago, Aroissa said:

Hi everyone!

I hope it's okay to post this here. I've been a fan of Yuzuru since around 2018 and have been a lurker here for about a year.

This Olympics has been emotionally exhausting as I'm sure a lot of you relate to, but it reminded me why I admire Yuzuru Hanyu so much.

I'm a college student in the US and have been dealing with my own struggles with the pressure of living up to expectations in an academic setting. I was watching Yuzu's short program live and after the 4S, I was in shock. I couldn't believe that this had happened to him and honestly I felt pretty devastated. The kind of pressure on him here was insane and I don't know how I would have reacted had such a thing happened to me. My heart went out to him, but the way he responded to the situation really spoke to me and reminded me of why he is so inspiring as a person.

He didn't panic, skated beautifully for the rest of the performance and was calm and collected as he got off the ice. The way he handled the media and the rest of the event was no different.

His resilience in the free skate was no less inspiring. I think he made a good choice to go for the 4A even if people think it potentially cost him a medal. He remained true to himself and what he believed in and performed his best 4A yet (with an injury!). In a way, I think his fourth place finish further proved how much of an impact he has. To me, Yuzu was able to prove here that figure skating is not really about the medals. I know he inspires me just by who he is as a person on-or-off the ice.

A lot of what Yuzu has gone through at this Olympics has spoken to parts of my own life which has given me a lot to think about this week. I hope I can act like him moving forward with my own struggles.

Also, just kind of an interesting side note:

I live in NC's hometown, SLC and I haven't heard a single person talk about his gold medal. I also literally live 5 minutes away from the Olympic torch from 2002, so the Olympics are usually a big deal here (I'm kind of ashamed to say that this gives me a little bit of bitter satisfaction). 

Just goes to show NC will never have the cultural impact or success Yuzuru has, no matter how many gold medals he wins. :yuzushrug:

a warm welcome to the forum! :puddingpooh: it's great that yuzu continues to inspire people in ways not related to figure skating :D

1 hour ago, Harutolama said:

I do believe Yuzu was robbed of a Bronze. However I think if Yuzu never went for the 4A leading up to Olympics, things would have been different. He would've been clean and possibly went to NHK trophy because he wouldn't have been injured due to 4A attempt. In a way, Yuzu was robbed of a bronze but by attempting and falling on it instead of going safer with a 4Lo, he also contributed solidifying his chances of not medaling. 

Please stop saying Yuzu's brought this on himself with every chance you've got. I will only engage in this one last time:

1. 4A has been his dream and motivation for skating since last Olympics. Without it, he would have stopped competing already and wouldn't have gone to this Olympics at all.

2. Training for the impossible jump is not easy. He could not just stop training 4a and prepare a different layout for Olym, when time is not on his side with his fragile ankles. A fall on a 4S could be just as devastating as with a 4A. To be honest, any comp could be his last. And if he used all his time remaining chasing the only thing that he has not achieved, then that meant he made the choice to go higher, farther.

3. Everything happened here could have happened if he chose 4Lo instead of 4a. We will never know what would happen in an alternative scenario, so why try to blame him for what could have happened in this unknown scenario.

4. They underscored him and propped up his rivals, that's a fact. Nathan and Shoma and Yuma now all have at least one medal that should have gone to Yuzu. He was not on the podium this time not because his performance was not good enough, but because the judges pushed him off it.

3. Stop saying JSF dislike him because he went for 4a. JSF has never been fond of him, even when he won them gold medals and worlds spots. (When he had gold in Sochi, Hashimoto implied that he was undeserving. When he won the only medal for Japan at Worlds Saitama, they proceeded to ban Pooh bears and badmouth him when he withdrew from comps because of Covid.) He was left without a medal this tine because they chose Shoma, they have prefered Shoma to win over him for years. 

I can't with people who fault Yuzu for going after his dream. Injuries, sickness, misfortunes, he persisted through all that to push the frontiers for fs, and somehow that is a flaw.

Yuzu is not irrational. Last Olym, he went for the easier layout because he had the conviction that skating relative clean would get him the win. This time, without the 4a, he would have no technical edge against Nathan. And he did not have that absolute confidence anymore, thanks to the hellish psychological torture they put him through the past four years. He tried to define his wins on his own terms, please respect his choice.

7 minutes ago, Yuzupu said:

Yuzu is not irrational. Last Olym, he went for the easier layout because he had the conviction that skating relative clean would get him the win. This time, without the 4a, he would have no technical edge against Nathan. And he did not have that absolute confidence anymore, thanks to the hellish psychological torture they put him through the past four years. He tried to define his wins on his own terms, please respect his choice.

I think Yuzu was not into medalling either. His goal wasn't a Bronze or silver. His goal was 4A. If he had wanted a medal less than Gold, he would have dropped 4A last minute for a safer layout. But he clearly wasn't invested into a medal. That is his choice. I respect that. But I'm just stating that is why the JP fed might not have liked his choice. Because all they care about are results and medals rather than challenges or attempts. 

Yuzu's  2021 world  FS was not good because of asthma attack, so I don't blame him there. I do think judges were rather harsh on Yuzu for not skating perfectly clean Free skates against Nathan for the last 4 years. They were expecting only perfect clean programs from him for the last 4 years and hence underscored Yuzu's PCS alot.

3 minutes ago, Harutolama said:

I think Yuzu was not into medalling either. His goal wasn't a Bronze or silver. His goal was 4A. If he had wanted a medal less than Gold, he would have dropped 4A last minute for a safer layout. But he clearly wasn't invested into a medal. That is his choice. I respect that. But I'm just stating that is why the JP fed might not have liked his choice. Because all they care about are results and medals rather than challenges or attempts. 

Yuzu's  2021 world  FS was not good because of asthma attack, so I don't blame him there. I do think judges were rather harsh on Yuzu for not skating perfectly clean Free skates against Nathan for the last 4 years. They were expecting only perfect clean programs from him for the last 4 years and hence underscored Yuzu's PCS alot.

Somehow you ignored all of my points :68468287: JSF and judges do not expect anything from Yuzu except for him being out of the way.

2 hours ago, Yuzupu said:

Sorry but Shoma got away with underrotation, and his skate did not warrant higher PCSs than Yuzu's. Yuzu's score should have been higher than Shoma's. 

tbh I don't have it in me right now to discuss about shoma's scores  :dbana: I'm still a bit down sorry :cry:

2 hours ago, liv said:

I noticed right away that he didn't get much applause from the J group. Only Kaori stood, her coaches didn't and neither did Wakaba. I don't know the big cheeses in the JSF enough to identify them, but they certainly weren't overly supportive. He certainly deserved a standing O as a show of support  from his compatriots, even if  just in recognition of what he has done, even if that particular performance wasn't his dream performance. 

It certainly makes you wonder how much jealousy some might feel. Or resentment of his universal appeal and the attention he gets. It's a real emotion that sometimes can't be helped. 

It is still disgusting...bless, Kaori and to h**l with the rest

14 minutes ago, Yuzuismyoneandonly said:

These kids be skating for the Ivy leagues/ med school applications and not for the love of the sport Istg ==

that's what really separates yuzu from everyone else for me; you can see his love for skating, it's in every single program, competitive or not; it's in his music choices; in every detail of his costume; and in his brilliance for trying the unprecedented 😭😭 

and not saying that no one else has the passion for ice skating like he does, but at his level, after all his achievements, after all the unfairness he's faced, it's hard not to feel burnt out and call it a day, but he's still here with the same fervor for figure skating as he had when all the medals and accomplishments were still shiny new things

19 minutes ago, Hanmgse said:

tbh I don't have it in me right now to discuss about shoma's scores  :dbana: I'm still a bit down sorry :cry:

You made a case for Shoma placing higher than Yuzu. I simply pointed out that he shouldn't have. We are all disheartened. No need to feel sorry.

Just now, Yuzupu said:

You made a case for Shoma placing higher than Yuzu. I simply pointed out that he shouldn't have. We are all dishearted. No need to feel sorry.

I said that because while I agree with Nathan winning and Yuma in second, I'm not sure about shoma and I don't feel like checking his detailed scores rn :dbana:

1 hour ago, Aroissa said:

...Also, just kind of an interesting side note:

Just goes to show NC will never have the cultural impact or success Yuzuru has, no matter how many gold medals he wins. :yuzushrug:

hello and welcome! i'm a noob here too, but this place is so warm.

i am not a nice person, and i'm revelling in schadenfreude right now. thanks for sharing this interesting side note

side note from me: mum, who stopped watching figure skating ages ago, texted me today, checking in with me - whether i'm okay, upon learning results after free skate and watching the events herself.

thank you, Yuzu, for helping me find something to bond over with mum, with whom we have a rocky relationship.

45 minutes ago, Aroissa said:

Honestly, it kind of confused me when I heard. I don't really follow NC that much so I can't really speak on who he is as a person. I will say that I can't really picture him as a doctor. He seems pretty aloof most of the time which makes me wonder why he would be passionate about going into medicine if not just for the prestige. Considering he goes to Yale and now has an OGM, I doubt he'll have any trouble getting into a US med school if his grades are half decent though. I don't wish NC any ill will but its hard not to ignore all of the privileges he's had.  

....you realize Yuzuru also was pretty privileged...right? He doesn't have his feds backing, sure. Not contesting that, but skating isn't a cheap sport. Someone foot the bill for him before he started making a name for himself... He went to Waseda, a damn good University....can we back off on Nathan"s personal life? If this was Vincent Zhou...kinda curious on what the tune sung would be then...Lastly, to play devil's advocate, isnt it better to have another goal beyond skating? We ALL saw how devastated Yuzuru was to think the 4A and his goals were in vain, if he had another passion beyond skating...would that have helped buffer the hurt? Purely speculative, but a consideration. Heck, maybe he does, he's private enough lol.

God. Can I get back to supporting Yuzuru now?