Team we're fewer but still good!

Guest turquoiseblue

Donovan Carrillo: The whirlwind continues. Diving with Rommel Pacheco? Why not
Olympics.com

“Before figure skating, I was in gymnastics and diving, and I had the opportunity to meet a lot of Olympic athletes and train with them when I was a kid like [Olympic divers] Ivan Garcia, Germán Sanchez and Jahir Ocampo,” Carrillo told Olympics.com. “They were always super nice with me and they taught me a lot.”

He used what he saw in diving to push his skating forward.

“I took a lot of inspiration from them because as a Mexican, I’d never seen a quad in figure skating before. But I had seen a quad rotation, quad rotation and a half in diving, so, I just thought about it and said, ‘If they can do it in diving, I think I can do it on figure skating,’” Carrillo explained. “So, they were such an inspiration for me.”

The sport has also been part of his post-Beijing performance whirlwind. After the 22-year-old set a personal best in the short program and became the first Mexican skater to advance to an Olympic free skate, one of the many to congratulate him was diver Olympic Rommel Pacheco.

“Much success in the final, my friend Donovan,” Pacheco wrote on Instagram. “Keep enjoying it, give it twice as much desire and show what you’re made of on that skating rink. You have our full support.”

As for joining Pacheco – a three-time Pan Am Games gold medallist - in the pool? Well, maybe.

“It would be amazing. It would be amazing to start to dive with Roma,” he said. “I think he would do great at figure skating, too.”

His popularity has soared during the Games, with Carrillo saying he’s gained more than a quarter million followers on Instagram.

That could be life-changing for the skater who famously trains on a mall ice rink during public skates.

“I’m really happy,” Carrillo said of his social media explosion. “It means a lot to me because that could also help me to look for new sponsorships, and that’s going to be affecting in a positive way my career in the future.”

The future has plenty in store for Carrillo and his new followers. He intends to compete at next month’s World Figure Skating Championships in Montpellier, France, and is already thinking about the next Winter Games in Milan.

“I want to have an opportunity to represent my country in Milan 2026. I'm really motivated with this Olympic experience and I didn’t want it to end when I finished my short program and my free skate,” said Carrillo. “I didn't want to leave the ice. I want to keep dreaming, and I want to keep living the Olympic dream.”

I hope he can get enough sponsorships to cover the costs for the next 4 years :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest turquoiseblue

Loena is aiming for the next Olympics :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CaSpF64o8Kx/

Jumping into a new Olympic cycle! 🤩♥️

PyeongChang 2018 ☑️
Beijing 2022 ☑️
Milano Cortina 2026 💭

#pyeongchang2018 #beijing2022 #milanocortina2026 #olympics #olympicrings #olympian #proud #enjoy #experience #workhard #figureskating #nevergiveup #dowhatyoulove

Guest turquoiseblue

Saulius Ambrulevicius has shared his thoughts on the Russian invasion:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Cak77eyva2o/

Angry, sick, frustrated.. Everyday these feelings are getting stronger when i witness things that are happening in Ukraine.
Lithuania knows the horrors of oppression, invasion, occupation, death.. We fought for our freedom and we know how costly it was. Ukraine is fighting not only for their freedom, but ours and all of European countries as well.

To all my fellow skater friends and fans, please, lets find our ways to support our Ukrainian skating family.. While we are safely skating everyday and prepare for these upcoming world championships, our fellow skaters @maxxxnik and @aleksandralfs, their coaches and fellow Ukranian athletes are trying to stay alive and survive from Russian bombs and bullets in Kharkiv, Kiev...

To my fellow russian skaters and fans- this is not a rescue mission. Your leader is not rescuing anyone, but taking innocent lives while trying to occupy a friendly country for his own ideas. Your banishment from events is because of him. Understand that

I might be told by some- don't mix sport with politics..
This is above sport. We as humans have to understand that, take action, doesn't matter who you are what is your profession. What's happening there now is wrong and if we are going to be passive about it, this will be our fault as well.

Let's show that we are not passive and that the skating world is not ignorant and more than just a sport!

Slava Ukraini! 🇺🇦

#ukraine #stopputin
#stopwar
#isu #lietuva🇱🇹 #takeaction

Thank you for speaking out :grouphug:

Guest turquoiseblue

Maksym Nikitin posted a 3:54 minute compilation video of devastating scenes in his hometown Kharkiv :grouphug: :grouphug:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CanbDxmIfjU/

Google translate

Look at the abundance of Ukrainian technology that is hiding behind the houses...
See how happy the Ukrainian people are to meet "Russian liberators"
Pay attention to the overwhelming fascism in Kharkov!!!!
Beloved Kharkiv!!! We stand and we will restore you!!

Russians! Pay attention to what a native Kharkiv citizen tells you who speaks Russian all his life !!!!! GET THE FUCK FROM MY FREE COUNTRY!!!!!
#no war

Guest turquoiseblue

New Instagram post by Anastasiia:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CapJnTwISoU/

yqKtx0j.jpg

Ми сильні, ми усе витримаємо🇺🇦
Нашу волю и бажання перемогти - ніхто не зламає!💛💙
▫️
▪️
We are strong, we will withstand everything🇺🇦
Our will and desire to win - no one will break💛💙

From her Instagram story:

SVTapqL.jpg

Polish article on Anastasiia:

Anastasija Archypowa stanęła do walki. "Będę bronić honoru Ukrainy do końca"
Interia Sport
1 March 2022

DeepL translation

Ukrainians are determined to defend their homeland against Vladimir Putin and Russia. Athletes are also fighting for the country's freedom and independence. Among them is 18-year-old figure skating champion Anastasija Archypova. On her profile on Instagram appeared a photo with a rifle, a canister and Molotov cocktails. The sportswoman declared that she "will defend the honour of Ukraine to the end".

In an interview with Przegląd Sportowy, she admitted that she is accompanied by great anxiety. "I am afraid to fall asleep because I may never wake up again," - she said. Nevertheless, she is determined to fight. "In an encounter with a Russian tank we have already defended our home once. I will defend Ukraine's honour to the end" - she assured.