What was your first time watching Yuzu?

Beijing Olympics short program. Actually, I only opened tv application to see what Stephane's students did, because I used to know Stephane from my childhood (back then I used to watch figure skating when it appeared on TV even though knowing nothing about skating). So, after learning Stephane had become a coach, I was curious. But our TV commentator Zafer Akyol happened to be a huge Yuzuru fan. So, during the competition, he almost only talked about Yuzuru. He praised him so much, made calculations wondering if he can get at least bronze, he even mourned for possible retirement. When Yuzuru touched the ice after free program, our commentator said this was a farewell. So, it was impossible for me not to be curious about who Yuzuru is. Then I decided to watch his whole career. First I started with YouTube videos, then some people suggested this website which is a fountain. This is my story of watching Yuzuru for the first time. 

A youtube video kept appearing in my feed lol. It's named unstoppable. I watched it once and was super impressed and then kinda forgot about it for a bit. A few months later I randomly kept thinking about it, so I watched it again, looked Yuzu up and basically binged everything Yuzu related XD. 

I think the first program I ever watched Yuzu skate was SEIMEI at Pyeongchang in 2018 on YouTube, but I didn't pay that much attention other than thinking "he makes skating look so easy". It wasn't until Beijing Rondo that I became a fanyu - it was something about the mixture of his longevity in the sport (I remember thinking oh Yuzuru is still skating?) and the unfortunate hole in the ice + his upcoming 4A challenge that drew me in finally 

I think it probably was R&J1.0? I got interested in FS last year because of a manga I was reading(I didn't even know Beijing was happening!). I started reserching the famous female skaters(because the story was about novice girls, but I just am not entertained by kids that young), started watching the male skaters that popped in my feed, where I first watched him(I already knew his name, but had never watched him). I, of course was impressed, but was more of a casual fs fan at that point. But then, I watched Parisienne Walkways(Sochi 2014), which made me an addict, and afterwards, Haru yo Koi(2022 Beijing), which sealed the deal. I think both his absolute beauty(and pain:weeping:) during Haru, and his energy during Parisienne, where the things that drew me to become a fanyu(and now, his complete being:heart:)

First time I saw him was in Sept.2021 I think, one of his videos randomly showed up on my YouTube starting page. No clue why the algorithm thought I might be interested, as I have never watched FS there before or any other winter sports. Anyway I am very grateful that it happened and that I clicked & watched. It was LMEY, the German (Sportschau) video. Here he got my attention. Also the way how the commentator spoke about him … so I searched for him, and the 2nd video I saw was Notte Stellata from the PC gala. Here he got my heart ❤️ … and I nearly could not believe it was the same guy. Nothing did I know yet about the duality of Yuzuru Hanyu … 

I discovered Yuzu very late, just at the Beijing Olympics this year after the short program. Then I watched his previous Olympic programs in Sochi and Pyeongchang and felt in love with his skating. Thanks to YouTube, Planethanyu.com and Facebook, I caught up on all available performances from the past within a few weeks. I have been following his professional career ever since and cannot wait to see him performing live one day. When he announced his decision to quit competitions, I thought my chances of seeing him performing live were forever gone and wished I had a time travel machine to go back to his first competitions. But thank God, there are still chances. 

I used to watch figure skating passively since I was a child but my turning point was seeing Yuzu's short program in Sochi 2014. I was completely struck by him and fell into the rabbit hole on yt, watching everything over and over again. Since then I've been 100% invested in his career, watching all the comps and ice shows just for him, but sadly never got to see him live :( still hoping that some day it will change :crybaby:

After Pyeongchang Olympics, and he was on the news for being cute and patting Shoma on the head, I went to watch his SEIMEI. I didn't know anything about figure skating then and didn't understand why it was considered "gold" worthy as he almost fall after some jumps. Then I watched other skaters in the competition. Being Australian, I chose to watch Brendan Kerry's skate, and then thought Brendan's skate was so much slower and boring. I rewatched SEIMEI many times because he looks like he's cosplaying some anime character, but I can't work out which anime. I also watched many times because I can't believe that the person on the podium is the same one who skated -- his face changed so much on ice vs off ice! The more times I watched, the more I want to find out more about him. And so I went into this infinite loop of going through all his past videos.