[Speed Translation] NTV DocuDrama Translation

axelsandwich

Uh yeah so I got emotional about this and the translation slipped out - it's kind of bare bones because I just skipped the acting bits and the footage we've seen already (which has also already been translated) to just get to the small bits of new stuff gleaned from Brian's interviews. If someone can help link the relevant footage and translations in case new fans need it, that would be great. 

Tumblr version: http://kaerb.tumblr.com/post/174250437544/the-ntv-docudrama-about-yuzuru-and-brian

Copied below:

The NTV “docudrama” about Yuzuru and Brian unexpectedly had some good content that made me really emotional (if you just…well…skip the acting. except for that ‘hi’ asflkj that was lowkey on point AF). This Olympics was truly…sigh. Truly a miracle. Thank you yuzu and everyone around him. I’m just…so glad we’re living in this reality. 

Disclaimer: I am not a professional translator, only a Japanese student practising my skills. While I do check dictionaries and many resources to ensure I’m getting as much accurate as possible, my abilities are limited, I lack a lot of cultural knowledge and I try to always acknowledge where I’m not certain about translations. I am always open to more precise corrections from native speakers, please just let me know ( :

I translated the bits with Brian at TCC already

Starting at 13:44

Brian: I wasn’t at the [NHK Trophy] but found out from team staff that Yuzuru had taken a bad fall. When I checked the video, I quickly knew it was serious and that it needed long term treatment and rehabilitation.

Narrator: After 2wks of the injury, Brian met with Yuzu - who was still on crutches - in Toronto. 

Brian: In front of me, Yuzuru was acting like he was in good spirits/calm but in front of other staff, he became emotional. He had a lot of worries about whether he would really be able to make a comeback.

At the time, Brian confirmed Yuzuru’s wishes.

Brian: Yuzuru, you have 3mths until the Olympics. What do you want to do?

Yuzuru: I want to win at the Olympics. I absolutely want to repeat as champion.

Brian: That’s okay. We have time.

With that, Yuzuru began his training.

2mths until the Olympics: (footage of Kobayashi reading out Yuzuru’s statement about the state of his ankle and how he’s doing his best with treatment and rehabilitation)

Narrator: In truth, due to inflammation in his tendon and bones, the situation had worsened. They had expected to resume training on the ice 1mth from the injury but Yuzuru had not been able to even stand on the rink.

Brian: Yuzuru spent a lot of time on his own and I expect he had a lot of doubt and worry about whether he could make the Olympics on time. But he transformed all those ‘minuses’ into ‘pluses’.

There were 3 things Yuzuru did to achieve this

1. Studying anatomy. In order to more deeply understand his own injury, Yuzuru studied the structure of bone and muscles. While intently listening to his own body, he patiently proceeded with training according to the plan. 

(old footage of Yuzuru studying his university courses from last year - NNN documentary has the full footage)

2. Yuzuru watched a lot of videos and did image training to exercise the brain (footage of Yuzuru watching his old videos and checking his form in front of the mirror - says he basically watches footage of his successful jumps and tries to imitate the timing etc.)

1 month until Olympics, at the ceremony for the athletes confirmed to be going, Hanyu did not appear but did send a comment to those supporting him.

2mths after the injury, Yuzuru finally returned to the ice. However, he once again felt pain and couldn’t proceed with his training.

According to Noguchi Yoshie (who covered Hanyu’s injury and has apparently been covering Hanyu since 10yrs ago?): “If he’s jumping with pain every time, it will unconsciously take over. Whether it’s knees or calves, somewhere will hurt. According to what Hanyu-senshuu said, they didn’t know the cause. Every single day, he was searching for what the injury was, repeatedly.

2wks until the Olympics: Brian and Yuzuru had their final practice alone in Toronto.

Brian: There was very little time but I thought it may be possible to bring him into peak condition.  

5 days until the Mens SP: footage of Yuzuru arriving at the airport and his words there – here lies the third behaviour that allowed him to change his injury into a ‘plus’ (strength).

3. Yuzuru analysed his own words in previous press conferences where he had done well.

Noguchi-san: ‘In these competitions with these feelings I said these things’ and ‘in this mental state, I was able to win’, he reviewed them all.

In the post victory interview with Ueda, Ueda asked if Yuzu’s statements of ‘I want to win’ were about inspiring him. Yuzu said it was more about feeling like he had to decide or lock in the future or it wouldn’t work and it was a form of mental control.

3 days until Mens SP - footage of Yuzuru’s troll practice (singles + one (1) 3A). What was the state of his right leg then?

Brian: He had taken painkillers but the pain had not disappeared. However, he absolutely didn’t allow anyone to see the pain he was in.

(SP)

Brian: I was extremely satisfied but I saw Yuzuru was a little disappointed he didn’t break the world record.

(FS)

Brian: It really was a miracle. There’s no other athlete who possesses mental strength like Yuzuru’s.  

Q: Do you where this strength comes from, how he developed it?

Brian: Good question. It may be that Yuzuru needs adversity. Through overcoming difficulties, he continues to grow. Yuzuru is the genuine world champion.*

Yuzuru: It’s really fun to do difficult things. Ultimately, I’m happy when I can do difficult things and get a great sense of fulfilment. It’s truly incredible to not have limits.

*He basically means ‘the real deal’ or like…the ‘true’ world champion in relation to being able to live up to the name.