Finding an alternative to Rabbit

I promised to come up with a guide on streaming using Kast and Periscope, so here it is:

My PC Setup

1) I run dual screens. But it is possible to Kast using 1 screen.

2) Any sounds from your PC will be broadcasted - take note.

3) I use iSakura (https://japannettv.com/wpshop/) for streaming. If the channel is BS (e.g. BS Fuji), chances are you use Mini or Basic, if it is CS, chances are you will need to use Pro.

4) I use Chrome to run iSakura.

5) If you are using rabbit, take note that Kast requires a separate iSakura subscription.

Streaming via Kast

Kast is generally simple.

hN8B8ay.png

(1) This is to broadcast your screen.

(2) This is to watch what is being streamed.

After you enter via KAST, there is a row of buttons at the bottom.

RYRLExz.png

Click on the button highlighted above.

There will be a popup:

WuEs7Go.png

You can select a screen to stream (for dual screens).

fErBZY5.png

Or you can select Application Window to stream (for single screen). I am actually using Chrome above, and that page title is iSakura's stream page. There is a chance that the Kast App will jump to Chrome, not to worry you can Alt-Tab back to Kast without any interrupts in the stream. You can also maximise the playback on iSakura without any issues.

Another thing you will need to do is to setup the audio:

1Jmd9EU.png

Click on the highlighted button above:

There will be a popup.

hL2G1dm.png

You will need to set the Input to Computer's Audio. NOTE: This means that all the sounds from your PC will be picked up in the stream.

Once done, you can go to the bottom left corner of Kast, double click it to maximise what you are streaming in the App.

After you are done streaming, end the stream by clicking on this button:

ZZ8mCCL.png

The same popup will appear and you click on END STREAM:

hVHFSI1.png

And you leave the room this way:

BnHWj0B.png

Streaming for Periscope

My PC Setup

1) It might be easier to just use your phone to stream it off a screen than to do what I do.

2) I run dual screens. Periscope needs 2 screens.

3) Any sounds from your PC will be broadcasted - take note.

4) I use OBS Studio (https://obsproject.com/download) to stream to Periscope.

5) I am basically streaming the to both Apps at the same time using 1 iSakura login.

6) There is a delay of approximately 20 seconds for Periscope streaming.

Setting up OBS

Setting up OBS is quite technical, so please bear with me.

1. Setting what you stream

nqGG8UA.png

When you launch OBS, there looks like some kind of studio going on. Not to worry, just click on the "+" button.

dw9JMU8.png

Select "Display Capture" - This will be basically telling OBS which screen to capture for the broadcast.

hmxDN7I.png

Set a meaningful name for the Display, or be me and just let it be default.

XgunRYP.png

Drop down and select the screen you want to use. You might want to remove the checkbox for capturing your mouse movements.

2. Setting up for Periscope

Head over to Periscope and look for the Producer (https://www.periscope.tv/account/producer) link. You will see something like below.

v67z42U.png

Take note of what is in the red box.

FzqqXce.png

Go to the settings page in OBS.

iXmtpm6.png

Go to the Stream settings.

(A) Set Service as "Custom"

(B) Copy the Server URL from Periscope to Server

(C) Copy the Stream Key from Periscope to Stream Key

O8TSLpB.png

Go to Output settings. Set the Keyframe Interval as 3.

Etece7k.png

Go to Audio settings. Set the Sample Rate as 44.1khz. The settings are done and click OK.

3. Starting the Periscope Stream

qWL65zc.png

First, you need to enable to stream to Periscope first. Click on Start Streaming. If you have a microphone connected to your PC, take note to mute the Mic/Aux.

JHGZUWe.png

Now, when you head back to Periscope Producer, you will see that there is a Preview Broadcast button now. You can click on it to see what you are showing.

If there are warnings, usually it can be ignored UNLESS the words are in Yellow or Red. Those means something needs to be rectified. E.g. you might be streaming in 1920x1080 but the maximum settings Periscope accepts is 1280x720. This means you will need to go to OBS to stop the stream and change settings in the Video settings.

GFZi9my.png

If all is well, you can change the Broadcast Title and click on Go LIVE. Take note to mute the Producer if you intend to keep this page open. What I noticed is that Periscope is significantly laggy in PC, but works fine on my iPhone.

4. Stopping the Periscope Stream

pgb7zCK.png

To stop the Periscope broadcast, go to Producer first to stop the broadcast.

XpQq6Sg.png

After which, you stop the stream via OBS.

Wow, thanks a lot for this step by step guide with screenshots!

Is it possible to move the instruction post to somewhere easy to find, for example in the first post of this thread? (Or, another place?). Just so it won’t be buried in this thread and I won’t remember where / which page to find it later on 

2 hours ago, holina said:

Wow, thanks a lot for this step by step guide with screenshots!

Is it possible to move the instruction post to somewhere easy to find, for example in the first post of this thread? (Or, another place?). Just so it won’t be buried in this thread and I won’t remember where / which page to find it later on 

Done, added them to the first post. :67638860:

On 7/24/2019 at 11:52 AM, faeline said:

So I was thinking - to deal with the chaotic energy this season... after the last FaOI broadcast, stream party for mid August (16/17/18?) for CiONTU Day 3? (If anyone has an English subtitled source, please let me know - otherwise it'll be slowly subtitling it myself.)

On 7/24/2019 at 10:51 PM, mercedes said:

oh i'd love a streaming party for mid august...my copy of CIONTU has no subs if i'm not wrong but I'll check that just in case.

Again thank you:1497158260_5GOE:

I am now in a dilemma - I found a 1080P source for CiONTU Day 3 but it's Chinese subbed, should I broadcast that and overlay the subtitles? Or should I use the 540P source that is the raw? :14066882: BlueFlame has the translated segments in 1080P ... decisions decisions decisions :14066882:

https://venturebeat.com/2019/07/31/kast-acquires-remnants-of-group-watch-company-rabbit/

Looks like rabbit is officially dead, and Kast bought over whatever is remaining of rabbit. Rabbit will now redirect to Kast.

Also in other news, the web version of Kast is now in beta and you soon no longer need to download the app to watch as long as you have Chrome (i.e. it will work on all Android devices).

I honestly swear I don't work for Kast.

I will be opening up the group for public membership so that it's easier for anyone on the planet to join the group.

On 29/7/2019 at 19:43, faeline said:

I am now in a dilemma - I found a 1080P source for CiONTU Day 3 but it's Chinese subbed, should I broadcast that and overlay the subtitles? Or should I use the 540P source that is the raw? :14066882: BlueFlame has the translated segments in 1080P ... decisions decisions decisions :14066882:

Maybe better to use the 1080 source?!:tumblr_inline_mm2wnxgTbV1qz4rgp::peek:

On 7/29/2019 at 7:43 PM, faeline said:

I'd also say use the better quality one. :yes:

Have you already decided on a specific date and time for the streaming party?

Thank you so much again for doing this for us! :10742289:

5 hours ago, Yuzurella said:

I'd also say use the better quality one. :yes:

Have you already decided on a specific date and time for the streaming party?

Thank you so much again for doing this for us! :10742289:

I’m thinking 24th August - need some time to finish the subtitles and edit. I’m already on my trip so I’m going to be unresponsive for now but I’ll definitely start the arrangements when I come back.