Junior Skaters of 2019/20 Season

Welcome to our thread for discussing Juniors and all the events of the 2019/20 season beginning with:

Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating 2019/20

The 23rd season of a series of junior international competitions organized by the International Skating Union!

Date Event Location Other Notes
August 21-24 2019 JGP France Courchevel, France  
August 28-31 2019 JGP United States Lake Placid, New York, United States + Pairs
September 5-8 2019 JGP Latvia Riga, Latvia  
September 11-14 2019 JGP Russia Chelyabinsk, Russia + Pairs
September 18-21 2019 JGP Poland Gdansk, Poland + Pairs
September 25-28 2019 JGP Croatia Zagreb, Croatia + Pairs
October 2-5 2019 JGP Italy Egna, Italy  
December 5-8 2019-20 JGP Final Turin, Italy + Senior GPF
  • Links in the Event column lead to the appropriate start of the competitions in the Space Battles: Event Discussions subforum for easier access
  • Links in the Location column lead to the intro post in this thread

Skaters who reach the age of 13 by July 1, 2019 but have not turned 19 (singles and females of the other two disciplines) or 21 (male pair skaters and ice dancers) are eligible to compete in the JGP. The number of entries allotted to each Federation is determined by their skaters' placements at the 2019 World Junior Championships and the Federations themselves choose their representatives. 

Skaters/Couples entered for an event of the ISU Junior Grand Prix of Figure Skating may not participate in the same discipline of an event of the ISU Grand Prix of Figure Skating (senior) in the same season.

Points are awarded based on placement in an event.

First place in singles brings 15 points, second 13, third 11 points, fourth 9, fifth 7, sixth 5, seventh 4, eighth 3, ninth 2 and tenth 1.

First place in pairs and ice dance brings 15 points, second 13, third 11 points, fourth 9, fifth 7, sixth 5.

Top 6 ranking in all disciplines will qualify for the JGPF.

TECHNICAL DETAILS

Junior Skaters have specific requirements in their Short Programs/Rhythm Dances. The Junior Short Program/Rhythm Dance shall consist of the following required elements, which form three groups:

Junior Men:

• Double or Triple Axel
  • Double or Triple Loop
  • Jump Combination: Double/Triple or Triple/Triple. May not repeat Axel jump or solo jump performed
  • Flying Sit Spin: Flying position may be different than landing position. Min. 8 revs
  • Camel Spin: With only 1 change of foot. No flying entry. Min. 6 revs. each foot
  • Spin Combination: With only 1 change of foot. Min. 2 different basic positions. Must have all 3 basic positions to receive full value. No flying entry. Min. 6 revs. each foot. Min. 2 revs in position
  • Leveled Step Sequence: Fully utilizing the ice surface

Junior Ladies:

• Double Axel
  • Double or Triple Loop
  • Jump Combination: Double/Double, Double/Triple or Triple/Triple. May not repeat Double Axel or solo jump performed
  • Flying Sit Spin: Flying position may be different than landing position. Min. 8 revs.
  • Layback/ Sideways Leaning or Camel Spin without change of foot. No flying entry. Min. 8 revs.
  • Spin Combination: With only 1 change of foot. Min. 2 different basic positions. Must have all 3 basic positions to receive full value. No flying entry. Min. 6 revs. each foot. Min. 2 revs in position
  • Leveled Step Sequence: Fully utilizing the ice surface

Junior Pairs:

• Any Lasso lift take off (Group 5). Full extension of the lifting arm(s) is required Min 1 rev by man (no max)
  • Twist Lift: Double or Triple. Take off must be flip or Lutz
  • Throw Jump: Double or Triple Toe-Loop or Flip/Lutz 
  • Solo Jump: Double Loop or Double Axel
  • Solo Spin Combination. Only one change of foot (made at the same time by both partners). Min. 5 revs. on each foot, and at least 2 different basic positions or their variations by each partner with at least 2 revs. each. Must have all 3 basic positions to receive full value. May be commenced with a jump. The rotation must be continuous, and no stop is permitted
  • Death Spiral: Backward Inside. When death spiral position is attained, both partners must execute one revolution with man in full pivot position Lady’s head must reach the level of her skating knee
  • Leveled Step Sequence: Must fully utilize the ice surface

Ice Dance:

• Music: Musical and/or Operetta plus one additional rhythm (Quickstep, Blues, March, Polka, Foxtrot, Swing, Charleston, Waltz)
  • One Short Lift: Short Lifts are max 7 seconds
  • One Step Sequence in Hold or Not Touching or Combination of both (Style B) chosen from the following types of pattern: Midline or Diagonal 
  • One Set of Sequential Twizzles: at least two Twizzles for each partner, up to 1 step between Twizzles
  • Pattern Dance Requirement: Two (2) Sections of Tea Time Foxtrot, skated one after the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Only a bit more than a month and we'll have the first JGP Event! :tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid: The assignments for JGP Courchevel will come out within a week or so (deadline is Friday this week).

There are many skaters who're turning senior this season - the 3As of course, then You Young, Yelim Kim, Ting Cui, Koshiro Shimada, Mitsuki Sumoto, Tomoki Hiwatashi, Conrad Orzel, Camden Pulkinen, Roman Savosin, Ice Dancers Shevchenko/Eremenko, Lajoie/Lagha and Pairs JWC gold medalists Mishina/Galliamov so we won't see them in the juniors next season.

But there'll be others who's not moving up and staying (at least partially) - Grassl will do the JGP series probably, Petr Gummenik and Andew Torgashev will also stay junior.

I will also be curious how Gogolev will skate next season now that he's training with Raf. 

Samsonov, Eteri's wunderkid will debut in the juniors, he just turned 14 two days ago. I'm mostly curious about Shun, finally he will also debut in the JGP series should have happened a long time ago tbh .He'll have three quads and two 3As in the free skate (Romeo and Juliet <3) - which will be a big weapon! I'm really looking forward how he'll do, and can't wait to cheer for him.

I hope Shun will do a good JGP debut so maybe international judges would notice him more than jpn ones and make up for all the time lost in reputation building

I love that both Kao and Shun did/are doing RJ program :biggrin: nice tribute.

Has Kao any chances to be in JGP? or we'll need to wait till JrNats for (hopefully) some vid?

I'm very excited for all the russian boys too:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:   there might be interesting head-to-head this season...well, jr boys are always a question mark for consistency, but I'm more excited about jr men this season compared to last one:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

and I can't wait to see the new russian ladies too (also, hoping Anastasia Tarakanova is fine physically and emotionally, I'll be overjoyed to see her in jgp but only if she is healthy and happy... and not risking jumps she doesn't have under control like UR quads)

hoping for a luckier season for jpn ladies please ladies, especially you, Tomoe, please don't pop or fall:smiley-angelic001:

curious to see who'll bring the quads and/or 3As

and wait, Alysa is gonna debut too! Hoping her team won't go too hard with the jump content and will work on improving her overall technique

And it will be interesting to see the judging... US ladies hope vs Russian wunderkids (with or without quads?) vs Canadian men hope... for ladies the war for 2022 may as well start here, ladies will likely be going sr by then and theorically in pole position to steal the show, if recent trends will be confirmed... tho who knows how the field will look in a couple years...

46 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

I hope Shun will do a good JGP debut so maybe international judges would notice him more than jpn ones and make up for all the time lost in reputation building

I love that both Kao and Shun did/are doing RJ program :biggrin: nice tribute.

Has Kao any chances to be in JGP? or we'll need to wait till JrNats for (hopefully) some vid?

I'm very excited for all the russian boys too:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:   there might be interesting head-to-head this season...well, jr boys are always a question mark for consistency, but I'm more excited about jr men this season compared to last one:tumblr_inline_ncmif5EcBB1rpglid:

and I can't wait to see the new russian ladies too (also, hoping Anastasia Tarakanova is fine physically and emotionally, I'll be overjoyed to see her in jgp but only if she is healthy and happy... and not risking jumps she doesn't have under control like UR quads)

hoping for a luckier season for jpn ladies please ladies, expecially you, Tomoe, please don't pop or fall:smiley-angelic001:

curious to see who'll bring the quads and/or 3As

and wait, Alysa is gonna debut too! Hoping her team won't go too hard with the jump content and will work on improving her overall technique

And it will be interesting to see the judging... US ladies hope vs Russian wunderkids (with or without quads?) vs Canadian men hope... for ladies the war for 2022 may as well start here, ladies will likely be going sr by then and theorically in pole position to steal the show, if recent trends will be confirmed... tho who knows how the field will look in a couple years...

Team Japan is going to be interesing! Kao apparently jumped 4T and 4S at the JGP selection competition, so I'm curious if he'll get a spot. It'd be the first time that Shun, Kao and Yuma compete against each other at JGP.

I hope Nastya will be fine, too. It'd be great to see her in JGP series. Tarusina also stays in junior it seems. I'm also looking forward to Sinitsyna - she's a lovely skater.

Valieva's and Alysa Liu's debut will be ofc exciting to watch. I also hope Alysa will focus more on the quality of her technique and overall improvement of her skating.

:volcano:

Ahhh, Tomoe, Nana and Alena! Strong true lutz team!:smiley-sport014: I hope Azusa will be able to get at least one spot later.

And Yuma-kun in boys! Go go, my son!:tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw: Kao-kun is in substitutes. Please, skating gods, let him have one spot this year.:tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid:

And two spots to Browns, pretty please.:smiley-angelic001:

And come back of the best comentator and the only valid person in this hell sport, Ted Barton!

But also, I DON'T WANT NEW SEASON TAKE IT AWAY FROM ME:sm194: