Magazines and Photobooks - Recommendations and Reviews

• 1 month later...
On 11/29/2017 at 5:44 PM, Floria said:

I have bought recently this one:

NYQMboam.jpg

https://www.amazon.co.jp/フィギュアスケート日本男子応援ブック-グランプリシリーズ開幕号-DIA-Collection/dp/4802303653/ref=pd_yo_rr_psims_i_4?ie=UTF8&language=en_US&psc=1&refRID=MZ9VAHJAM0SFSK0KW0B8

114 pages, only 10 pages with other skaters, everything else is Yuzu <3

Photos from CoR 2017 (photos from practice, SP, FS, VC but  almost nothing from gala). 4 pages with 4Lz.

Photos from ACI2017 (14 pages)

Hi Floria, I'm curious if this mook has any pics of Swan with gold streamers?

Asking for recommendations from everyone as well for:

-Rostelecom 2017 EX + Gala shenanigans 

-Beautiful and expressive Requiem shots

On 4/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, suihan said:

Asking for recommendations from everyone as well for:

-Rostelecom 2017 EX + Gala shenanigans 

-Beautiful and expressive Requiem shots

From Rostelecom Cup '17 I have Memorial, which has 20 pages of Swanyu and gala shenanigans as well. It is a smaller magazine in size but the quality of pictures is good and Yuzu content is almost 100% (the magazine has 125 pages overall). I recommend it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello! 
I am pleased to share video previews of some of the mooks I own on my YouTube channel including out-of-print materials.
So far, I have books 2 & 5-8 from the DIA Collection up (fair warning: CoC 2014 in some of these so check descriptions). There will be more to come so feel free to subscribe! :snpeace:

13 minutes ago, suihan said:

Hello! 
I am pleased to share video previews of some of the mooks I own on my YouTube channel including out-of-print materials.
So far, I have books 2 & 5-8 from the DIA Collection up (fair warning: CoC 2014 in some of these so check descriptions). There will be more to come so feel free to subscribe! :snpeace:

Thank you very much! I subscribed to your channel :)

I have no. 2 of this magazine and I love all the Sochi pictures in it! 

1 hour ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

Does anyone know a good company that will ship to NZ and also have any recommendations? There are so many I can't choose:13877886:

Speaking for myself as a Canadian, I have no problem purchasing from amazon.jp as they have all of the popular and latest mook releases. CDJapan (more expensive) is my second option if I cannot find something on Amazon. If you're looking for something more specific and savvy enough to, you could also google the publisher and find the Japanese stores that have them in stock and seek a proxy shopping service to help you purchase and forward items that otherwise would not ship internationally. I recently purchased my 2nd-hand out-of-print materials off Yahoo Auctions for really cheap (they conveniently have a shopping service right on the front page).

So...it all depends on what you're looking for and what you have tried already.

13 hours ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

Posted this in the photobook thread I think but thought i'd post it here too, does anyone have any photobook/magazine recommendations? I would really like to have a few with good qualities photos and posters (posters are key lol). Especially keeping an eye out for quality one with swanyu/hyk/origin/seimei. Aso, is the new ice jewels worth purchasing?? By the way those new clear files WOW I need those in my life. If only I lived in Japan:13877886:

For really good quality photos I'd definitely recommend Ice Jewels season photobooks (2015/16, 2016/17 & 2017/18), this photobook (it says the author is Yuzu? It has 127 pages of beautiful pictures from 2004 to 2018!), and the two photobooks by Sunao Noto, Yuzuru and Yuzuru II.

As for posters, there are many magazines with beautiful posters, some of them are bigger and some of them are smaller, depending on the size of the magazine too. Figure Skaters is a big magazine and it usually has two-sided posters in it which are huge. Vol. 3 & Vol. 4 had beautiful Swanyu posters but I think they're already out of stock. Vol. 7 had a Seimei poster from ACI '17. Vol. 9 had a two-sided Yuzu poster, one of the poster was this picture from the venue ceremony, the other one this pic of Seimei. Vol. 10 has one two-sided poster in it (with one Sanyu) which looks like this.

In this magazine there are two two-sided posters, one Origin (with a very tempting UA poster on the other side :13877886:) and a beautiful Haro Yo Koi on the other side (which you can't see on this picture, only the other three posters).

Figure Skating Trace of Stars 2018/19 has a HYK picture which you can fold out but idk if it's a poster. 

Ice Jewels also had ones in them but I don't have the last few issues so I don't know if there are posters in them and if yes, which ones. Maybe someone can be more helpful with it!

1 hour ago, sallycinnamon said:

For really good quality photos I'd definitely recommend Ice Jewels season photobooks (2015/16, 2016/17 & 2017/18), this photobook (it says the author is Yuzu? It has 127 pages of beautiful pictures from 2004 to 2018!), and the two photobooks by Sunao Noto, Yuzuru and Yuzuru II.

As for posters, there are many magazines with beautiful posters, some of them are bigger and some of them are smaller, depending on the size of the magazine too. Figure Skaters is a big magazine and it usually has two-sided posters in it which are huge. Vol. 3 & Vol. 4 had beautiful Swanyu posters but I think they're already out of stock. Vol. 7 had a Seimei poster from ACI '17. Vol. 9 had a two-sided Yuzu poster, one of the poster was this picture from the venue ceremony, the other one this pic of Seimei. Vol. 10 has one two-sided poster in it (with one Sanyu) which looks like this.

In this magazine there are two two-sided posters, one Origin (with a very tempting UA poster on the other side :13877886:) and a beautiful Haro Yo Koi on the other side (which you can't see on this picture, only the other three posters).

Figure Skating Trace of Stars 2018/19 has a HYK picture which you can fold out but idk if it's a poster. 

Ice Jewels also had ones in them but I don't have the last few issues so I don't know if there are posters in them and if yes, which ones. Maybe someone can be more helpful with it!

Thanks for the help! Yay, photo books to spend the rest of my hard earned money on buy. :13877886:(That UA poster seems pretty tempting indeed, lol) Also, I found a Memorial edition magazine of Pyeonchang olympics on amazon jp and was wondering if it was worth purchasing

9 minutes ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

Thanks for the help! Yay, photo books to spend the rest of my hard earned money on buy. :13877886:(That UA poster seems pretty tempting indeed, lol) Also, I found a Memorial edition magazine of Pyeonchang olympics on amazon jp and was wondering if it was worth purchasing

Those photobooks worth every :free-random-smileys-214: though :D

Which PC Memorial did you find? There are two of them - the March issue doesn't have gala pictures but everything else is great (SP+FS pics, practice, press conf, venue & medal ceremony photos) + 90% Yuzu content, almost 100 pages. I don't have the May issue but it has Swanyu pictures in it.

4 hours ago, Yuzu_GOAT said:

3 hours ago, sallycinnamon said:

Those photobooks worth every :free-random-smileys-214: though :D

Which PC Memorial did you find? There are two of them - the March issue doesn't have gala pictures but everything else is great (SP+FS pics, practice, press conf, venue & medal ceremony photos) + 90% Yuzu content, almost 100 pages. I don't have the May issue but it has Swanyu pictures in it.

I own the Memorial Exhibition Special (Swanyu ver., 160 pages) and can vouch for it 100%. It's exactly the same as the regular version (96 pages) but includes gala and the gala practices (Yuzu being silly with the other skaters) so you get MUCH more content. If you're deciding between the two just get the Exhibition Special, you won't be disappointed! If you want to know exactly what you want to buy and don't mind spoilers, you can compare the Regular to the Special for yourself if you'd like!  

• 9 months later...
9 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

It's really hard to choose from all those beautiful magazines :59227c768286a__s: but some that I like a lot and I could recommend:

- DX magazine, this is the latest issue. This magazine often has over 90% Yuzu content, great pictures too 

- Figure Skate Magazine (x), this magazine has the transcripts of Yuzu interviews from competitions, it also has great amount of Yuzu content with good quality pictures of him, and usually 2 two-sided posters

- Ice Jewels magazine (latest issue is here) is always a great choice, it has interviews with Yuzu, also very good quality pictures. Ice Jewels also releases Yuzu's season photobook every summer (it has Nobuaki Tanaka's pictures), I can highly recommend those! I also liked the PyeongChang Special Issue of Ice Jewels (no gala pictures though).

- Kiss and Cry magazine is also good (this issue has posters in it too - I managed to put the Origin poster on the wall just a day before Yuzu's program change was published on his ISU bio :D . Never mind, it's a great poster:

Reveal hidden contents

- This photobook is more pricey but has beautiful pictures of Yuzu from his novice season until season 2017/2018 (and it says the author is Yuzu himself?). It is one of my favourites.

- Yuzuru I and II with photos of Sunao Noto are also worth buying 

- Dancin' on the edge 2 - Yuzu'll be back is also a beautiful photobook that it is worth buying

- I haven't bought Figure Skaters magazine for a long while, some say the quality of pictures aren't that good in some of the latest issues, but it's a big magazine (A3 size I think?), with over lots of Yuzu pictures and often posters

Not magazines but Yuzu's autobiographies, Aoi Honoo 1 and 2 ("Blue Flame" 1 and 2) are a must :) They have beautiful pictures of Yuzu and contain his words from different interviews. For those who buy these books there are available translations (click here). The royalties from these book are donated to Ice Rink Sendai. <3 

Yume Wo Ikiru ("Live the Dream") contains Yuzu interviews from Ice Jewels Vol. 1-7 magazines (2015-2018), afterword by Yuzu + it also has beautiful pictures. 

Some people upload recommendations of the magazines, you can have a look and maybe you can decide which one do you like the most (here and here).

Anyway, we have a Magazines and Books Recommendations and Reviews thread as well, where you can read more about the topic here: :68271262:

I'm bringing this post here as well otherwise it'll get buried in the General Yuzu Chat.