Magazines and Photobooks - Recommendations and Reviews

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone, could I ask for a recommendation? I'm looking for a new poster for my already embarassingly large collection (:laughing:), specifically an origin 2.0 poster. I've looked through this thread and amazon.jp but it's sometimes hard to understand which image was used as poster, and as I said, I'm looking for something specific. Does any of you have a magazine with this kind of poster? Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Do any of you have a link to a shopping service for Satomi Ito-san's book? I haven't kept up with PH since Christmas due to a family member's serious illness and passing, but I did order the music booklet from Music with Wings thru one such link. The booklet is currently in isolation, as a friend picked it up from the post office and she got COVID-19 before I got back to town and could pick it up. It'll probably be May before I can get it, what with how the virus can live for so long on paper. Anyway, I wondered if anyone had a link to a shopping service so that I could order Ito-san's book from amazon.jp, since they don't deliver to Norway. I love embroidery, so I really want those pictures! 

36 minutes ago, KitSileya said:

Do any of you have a link to a shopping service for Satomi Ito-san's book? I haven't kept up with PH since Christmas due to a family member's serious illness and passing, but I did order the music booklet from Music with Wings thru one such link. The booklet is currently in isolation, as a friend picked it up from the post office and she got COVID-19 before I got back to town and could pick it up. It'll probably be May before I can get it, what with how the virus can live for so long on paper. Anyway, I wondered if anyone had a link to a shopping service so that I could order Ito-san's book from amazon.jp, since they don't deliver to Norway. I love embroidery, so I really want those pictures! 

Monchan kindly supplied the link for cdJapan...

On 3/31/2020 at 11:52 PM, monchan said:

Have you tried CDJapan?

In Asia, it's also available in Korea's Aladdin and Singapore's Kinokuniya bookstores.

and I have ordered it.  The postage was pretty steep, but even so it was cheaper and quicker than ordering through Kinokuniya in Sydney... I'll post when I get it.

1 hour ago, Corina said:

Heyy I wanna buy some magazines with yuzu but there are so many and idk which ones would be the best

I don’t know japanese so I’m looking just for photos

Can anyone help me?☺️

I have just bought these two series:

フィギュアスケート通信DX : All about Yuzu, just photos, but sometimes it has very blurred photos, like the cover of the jnats, but I do can find some beautiful photos inside.

51AVVkIMPWL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

KISS & CRY: The version with Yuzu as cover. It's not 100% Yuzu, and there's some paragraphs(but I don't read any cause I don't know japanese either). The quality of the photos will be better and there are posters.  I have bought below and I do love it.

51wEFqXe3fL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And I may be going to buy this:

フィギュアスケートプリンス第88回全日本フィギュアスケート選手権大会 : It's said to be 100% Yuzu and the photos are good.

513Rde+GmUL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hope it helps?

2 hours ago, Corina said:

Heyy I wanna buy some magazines with yuzu but there are so many and idk which ones would be the best

I don’t know japanese so I’m looking just for photos

Can anyone help me?☺️

Hi, if you only want photos I highly recommend his photobooks (ICE JEWELS SEASON PTB, YUZURU 1 & 2, SPIRIT PROGRAM). Yuzu also published 3 autobiographies (Aoi Honoo 1 & 2, Yume wo Ikiru) which I also recommend all fans as there are many great photos and all the royalties will be donated to his homerink! Don't hesitate from Japanese as both Aoi Honoo 1 & 2 got full translation (Book 1 trans & book 2 trans).

I made an (updating) list of preview videos & Amazon JP links of "should buy" Yuzu's magazines and photobooks (mostly Yuzu's photos with little text) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HSG3OJ8w1GUlhU7mqXrMDx5LlW4NW-3Gsv0yoje0yVk/edit?usp=sharing

You can also check Sally's post below for more recommendation:

On 3/4/2020 at 12:34 AM, sallycinnamon said:

It's really hard to choose from all those beautiful magazines :59227c768286a__s: but some that I like a lot and I could recommend:

- DX magazine, this is the latest issue. This magazine often has over 90% Yuzu content, great pictures too 

- Figure Skate Magazine (x), this magazine has the transcripts of Yuzu interviews from competitions, it also has great amount of Yuzu content with good quality pictures of him, and usually 2 two-sided posters

- Ice Jewels magazine (latest issue is here) is always a great choice, it has interviews with Yuzu, also very good quality pictures. Ice Jewels also releases Yuzu's season photobook every summer (it has Nobuaki Tanaka's pictures), I can highly recommend those! I also liked the PyeongChang Special Issue of Ice Jewels (no gala pictures though).

- Kiss and Cry magazine is also good (this issue has posters in it too - I managed to put the Origin poster on the wall just a day before Yuzu's program change was published on his ISU bio :D . Never mind, it's a great poster:

Reveal hidden contents

51arSj6XMvL.jpg

- This photobook is more pricey but has beautiful pictures of Yuzu from his novice season until season 2017/2018 (and it says the author is Yuzu himself?). It is one of my favourites.

- Yuzuru I and II with photos of Sunao Noto are also worth buying 

- Dancin' on the edge 2 - Yuzu'll be back is also a beautiful photobook that it is worth buying

- I haven't bought Figure Skaters magazine for a long while, some say the quality of pictures aren't that good in some of the latest issues, but it's a big magazine (A3 size I think?), with over lots of Yuzu pictures and often posters

Not magazines but Yuzu's autobiographies, Aoi Honoo 1 and 2 ("Blue Flame" 1 and 2) are a must :) They have beautiful pictures of Yuzu and contain his words from different interviews. For those who buy these books there are available translations (click here). The royalties from these book are donated to Ice Rink Sendai. <3 

Yume Wo Ikiru ("Live the Dream") contains Yuzu interviews from Ice Jewels Vol. 1-7 magazines (2015-2018), afterword by Yuzu + it also has beautiful pictures. 

Some people upload recommendations of the magazines, you can have a look and maybe you can decide which one do you like the most (here and here).

Anyway, we have a Magazines and Books Recommendations and Reviews thread as well, where you can read more about the topic here: :68271262:

Hope it helps!

1 hour ago, monchan said:

Hi, if you only want photos I highly recommend his photobooks (ICE JEWELS SEASON PTB, YUZURU 1 & 2, SPIRIT PROGRAM). Yuzu also published 3 autobiographies (Aoi Honoo 1 & 2, Yume wo Ikiru) which I also recommend all fans as there are many great photos and all the royalties will be donated to his homerink! Don't hesitate from Japanese as both Aoi Honoo 1 & 2 got full translation (Book 1 trans & book 2 trans).

I made an (updating) list of preview videos & Amazon JP links of "should buy" Yuzu's magazines and photobooks (mostly Yuzu's photos with little text) here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1HSG3OJ8w1GUlhU7mqXrMDx5LlW4NW-3Gsv0yoje0yVk/edit?usp=sharing

You can also check Sally's post below for more recommendation:

Hope it helps!

Thank you!!🥰

1 hour ago, Lemon said:

I have just bought these two series:

フィギュアスケート通信DX : All about Yuzu, just photos, but sometimes it has very blurred photos, like the cover of the jnats, but I do can find some beautiful photos inside.

51AVVkIMPWL._SX350_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

KISS & CRY: The version with Yuzu as cover. It's not 100% Yuzu, and there's some paragraphs(but I don't read any cause I don't know japanese either). The quality of the photos will be better and there are posters.  I have bought below and I do love it.

51wEFqXe3fL._SX332_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

And I may be going to buy this:

フィギュアスケートプリンス第88回全日本フィギュアスケート選手権大会 : It's said to be 100% Yuzu and the photos are good.

513Rde+GmUL._SX343_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Hope it helps?

Thank you!!☺️

5 hours ago, Corina said:

Which would be the best editions for the figure skate magazine and the kiss and cry (not from the 2017-18 season) ? Cause now that I see how many there actually are it’s even harder😂

Each edition covers one competition, and they're mostly about Yuzu, it depends which comp u wanna see. Or u can buy the end-of-season edition that covers the whole ss. Check some previews in my excel file to decide.

• 1 month later...

EVERYONE. THE NEW. 2019-2020 SEASON PHOTOBOOK. IS OUT. IM SCREAMING.

Please, if anyone has it or has the reviews of it, please share with us!!!!

also ive been seeing alot on twitter about page 127, what's it all aboutttttt

14 minutes ago, Ririka said:

EVERYONE. THE NEW. 2019-2020 SEASON PHOTOBOOK. IS OUT. IM SCREAMING.

Please, if anyone has it or has the reviews of it, please share with us!!!!

also ive been seeing alot on twitter about page 127, what's it all aboutttttt

Welcome to the Planet!

On page 127 there is a handwritten message from Yuzu. He's a translation of it:

On 5/31/2020 at 3:24 AM, FlyingCamel said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Found someone who translated Yuzu’s handwritten message on page 127 of the Ice Jewels season photobook to Chinese and I’ll try my best to translate to english with my limited abilities:

”During the 2019-2020 season, everyone supported me with all their strength, thank you very much!

Thanks to everyone’s support, I could welcome the end of the season without great pain.
To “Yuzuru Hanyu”, what exactly is “figure skating”? I previously had days when I questioned myself like this.

But, after revisiting all different kinds of programmes, I realized once again, such programmes are created because it is exactly those moments that create such programmes (T/N: not sure what exactly he means here, and I’m not sure how to word it nicely in English, but I personally think it means every different moment back in time creates each programme)

As for the 2020-2021 season, exactly what form it will take, I don’t know too to be honest.

But no matter what happens, I will carry feelings and emotions unique to each moment, and skate to the end with all my ability!

April 21, 2020

Yuzuru Hanyu”

Not exactly the best translation since it’s Japanese —> Chinese —> English but I tried my best to stick as closely as possible to the Chinese translation and again there are some parts I don’t exactly know how to word nicely... hope the meaning doesn’t get butchered too much with my bad translation skills haha

If anyone has a better translation/can do a better job at translating it will be good too!

42 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Welcome to the Planet!

On page 127 there is a handwritten message from Yuzu. He's a translation of it:

omgosh im crying, thank you so much for sending this!! :") super thankful that i know chinese hahaaha. I would translate it is:

'For the 2019-2020 season, everyone supported me overnight with all their strength, (I'm) really grateful and thankful (for this)!

Thanks to everyone's blessings, there was no pain in welcoming the end of the season.

What is 'figure skating' for 'Yuzuru Hanyu'? I previously had days where I asked myself.

But, looking back all kinds of (my) programs, I've realised once again that it was in that moment that such programs were born. (he refers to how his programs only become alive in the moment - where he was in a mindset of being fully focused and mentally involved)

Regarding the 2020-2021 season, for whatever form that it will take, I honestly wouldn't know.

But no matter what happens, I will carry my feelings and emotions unique only to those moments, and skate towards the end with all my ability! 

April 21, 2020

Yuzuru Hanyu

• 2 weeks later...