Team France

Philippe Candeloro was interviewed in "le Parisien", a French newspaper (he usually comments figure skating events for the French national TV). The article can be found here (but you need a subscription for access). I'm translating here some of his comments about recent notable events if anyone is interested. Nothing really new or surprising, but it's worth noting that it was at least mentioned in the news this week. It's a quick translation, so I apologize for any awkward wording.

What is your opinion on the 2 scandals that are shaking the French skating team?

Both matters are tainting the field. Not everything can be excused. Morgan tried to explain himself, but it will follow him for a very long time. It seems that he admitted the facts by apologizing. However, in the USA, this type of issue is damaging and never forgotten. I'm bothered (sad? annoyed?) for him because I like him. But he's not a kid anymore, and he should know better.

The coaching team is also in trouble...

From what I read, they tried to cover up the matter or calm things down before the Pyeongchang games in 2018. Unfortunately, this might eventually fall back on Kevin Aymoz, who also works with them.

Were you surprised by Laurine Lecavalier testing positive?

It's a crazy story! No one expected that from her. Was she doping? Was she just having some fun or was she drugged unknowingly? Laurine deserves better than this, I'm really pissed because the damage is done. I hope that she will be cleared for the rest of her career.

The French federation finds itself in trouble...

Our president Didier Gailhaguet has to deal with it, unfortunately. The situation isn't easy, for a French team about to leave for Europeans. I'm putting myself in his shoes: he's not responsible for the behavior of his athletes and he will defend them to the best of his abilities. But we could do without theses affairs.

After that, he predicts a victory for P&C, hopes for a podium for Kevin and wishes the best to Maé but expects the Russians to dominate.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A really nice podcast with Gabriella Papadakis (by Lilah Fear in her show) - she's so interesting to listen to, very honest, not avoiding difficult topics like anxiety, depresion and darkness or costume malfunction at OG but also very self conscious, mature and funny. I didn't know she's interested in studying foreign languages.

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/gabriella-papadakis/id1358459893?i=1000469537587

I find this kind of converastions much more interesting and inspirational than many of materials prepared by "proffesional journalists". Focused on what interlocutor actually thinks, feels and wants to say, taking time for that and not looking for a sensational quotes. You can learn so much more about a real person from that.

[Quite long but not boring at all and I guess many of us have some spare time at home rn.]

On 4/4/2020 at 6:22 PM, SitTwizzle said:

If they chose it for a program, it may arouse again the question of narrative tone in songs for the music.

Um, this was their program this year: 

On 4/8/2020 at 3:40 AM, ralucutzagy said:

Who did it better? :laughing: TBH, I find Guillaume twerks disturbingly well. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if this is the right thread...

There was an official statement as to resuming sports in France, the de-confinement starting May 11.

What is clear : there will be red zones (at the moment, the North-East half of the country) and green zones, to be defined definitely next Thursday.

No competition before August.

In green zones, outside individual sports will be allowed with special rules (use of changing rooms, distances, no more than 100km from home). Collective and contact (= fighting) sports won't for now.

High-level and professional sports people are no exception.

What is unclear, because the spokesperson doesn't even bother to speak a grammatically correct French, is for inside individual sports — such as skating, as outside rinks are all melt now.

The sports minister doesn't seem to have had more information.

http://www.sports.gouv.fr/accueil-du-site/actualites/article/reprise-de-l-activite-sportive

But they say they will publish a detailed guide soon. I hope it will be precise indeed, though most top French skaters train in US or Canada.