Team France

5 hours ago, Figure_Frenzy said:

I first saw about the news about Laurine someplace else — that is pretty wild O_o (...just where did she get them from to begin with??? NO REALLY, WHERE??? (...AND I DON'T THINK COKE IS LIKE, LEGAL IN FRANCE?? (Or in Italy for that matter??) O_o o_O) ).

I am more inclined to think that she might have got it in a party situation for now, I am not sure she would really have gone through all the hassle to get some coke to just use it as a stimulant, especially when there are other more accessible choice of stimulants (...which might be legal for use for most people, but not necessarily for athletes).

Pretty sure cocaine is illegal everywhere. However, the plant it comes from is used in its native countries to enhance endurance, so it could be considered a performance-enhancing drug for an athlete. 

Holy smoke, the French federation is having a rough season! I hope this is it now, nothing more to happen. 

Was quite shocked when I read this. Nonetheless, I have a reliable source that told me Laurine claims she didn't take anything, and they are currently trying to prove she was contaminated without her knowing. I want to believe her, because I don't really know why an athlete would do this, cocaine doesn't even help performances. I find disgusting all the published articles implying that she was away from competitions for 3 months due to this matter, when she's dealing with serious injuries. Now it's a very bad timing for French skating... 

45 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

Hm, every single doping incident starts with the parties in question claiming to be contaminated...

Depends on the type of doping. Nordic skiing has had several blood-doping scandals that started with the guilty parties being caught redhanded in the act, but in general you are correct. 

3 hours ago, Pika said:

But we are not talking about doping. Cocaïne destroys you at best. 

We actually don't know what the case is here because all we know is that traces were found in one of her samples. How the cocaine got there still has not been uncovered. 

In the short term, cocaine raises the user's alertness, attention, and energy levels. I can think of sports where those would be considered advantages. I'm not saying that's the case here, just that I could envision a situation where an athlete might be tempted. 

Dr de Mondenard who studies various doping cases in sport took Lecavelier's defense in a recent blog post. Sorry, it's in french.

He puts in perspective what the general press seems to have forgotten: the previous cocaine cases in sport with Gasquet and Tyson, and the fact that it's the easiest drug to find in controls (hence no athlete would be stupid enough to take that before competition).

Lauriault/Le Gac stated on their facebook page that they are preparing for the Bavarian Open, and try to earn a spot for Montreal Worlds. So the 3 couples will fight again for the 2nd spot ? I wonder what's the FFSG plan. Run a test before worlds ? I just hope they won't compare the results of the 3 teams at different competitions to decide, as it seems to be implied :scratch3: