Team France

Hate ‘Fame’ but like their take on it.  Not keen on the music/ voice over for the FD, but I really didn’t like Charlotte Church for Kaori this time last year and in the end I loved it so I’m not going to be critical until I’ve seen a few competitions.  I’m not really au fait with ice dance but they move beautifully together.

11 hours ago, Fay said:

I will be contrary and say I love the programs. Especially the FD.

I'm on the same page :) While others try to chase (as well as imitate) them, they continue to develop in very own and unique way. RD needs a lot of polish and work, but has a huge potential to be one of the most fun programme this season for me (on par with Cabaret by Popova&Mozgov). FD already looks like a masterpiece. Can't wait to see them in actual costumes and better camera work.

3 minutes ago, rubyblue said:

I'm on the same page :) While others try to chase (as well as imitate) them, they continue to develop in very own and unique way. RD needs a lot of polish and work, but has a huge potential to be one of the most fun programme this season for me (on par with Cabaret by Popova&Mozgov). FD already looks like a masterpiece. Can't wait to see them in actual costumes and better camera work.

The thing is that the current costumes do fit the program best. It should be something utterly minimalistic. But they got a costume deduction for the lack of the skirt... 

it’s like a piece of art, that dance. 

2 minutes ago, Fay said:

The thing is that the current costumes do fit the program best. It should be something utterly minimalistic. But they got a costume deduction for the lack of the skirt... 

it’s like a piece of art, that dance. 

Yeah, it's  2019 and I really don't understand that "skirt rule"...

I think P/C need to up the ante technically. They are of course artistic, expressive, etc., but when I watch them I'm always surprised that they aren't as precise or exceptional in terms of skating skills and elements as I expect them to be, considering their status. Some of the best junior teams look like they're outskating them, and they shouldn't be.

7 hours ago, fyere0 said:

I think P/C need to up the ante technically. They are of course artistic, expressive, etc., but when I watch them I'm always surprised that they aren't as precise or exceptional in terms of skating skills and elements as I expect them to be, considering their status. Some of the best junior teams look like they're outskating them, and they shouldn't be.

Don't agree. For what I see, they actually are absolutely superior in terms of skating skills. 

16 hours ago, fyere0 said:

Which junior teams? I don't see it at all, the difference is very clear even for casual ID watcher as me. Some might have some acrobatic original lifts etc, but in quality still the difference is VERY big.

About the programs, can't say, I rarely can say after seeing only once.

On 9/30/2019 at 11:37 AM, airi said:

Which junior teams? I don't see it at all, the difference is very clear even for casual ID watcher as me. Some might have some acrobatic original lifts etc, but in quality still the difference is VERY big.

About the programs, can't say, I rarely can say after seeing only once.

I'm a pretty casual watcher myself but when I watch ice dance I'm kind of old school in style preference, and I also look specifically for perfect synchronization, perfect timing, matching limbs/extension, and really good posture and holds, because those I can definitely see without having to identify levels and such. I enjoy junior ID as a whole more than senior because I feel like those are the fundamentals juniors should be and are careful about focusing on. (I enjoy novice for this reason, too!) Teams I like - Nguyen/Kolesnik are very strong all around and could be sublime (though not as good yet as P/C in terms of SS), some of the Russian teams impressed me, and Yoshida/Nishiyama have fantastic synchronization and beautiful edges. The best juniors also do have better lifts. P/C can be messy in some of those details. Their flow is unmatched with a good program and they're very expressive, but this tends to cover up the technical bobbles - their twizzles are sometimes noticeably off, they're slightly out of sync at points in timing and position, stuff that maybe shouldn't still be happening with them at this point. They're like GOAT-level in their discipline now if we're going by scores, and maybe I'm Yuzu's Overly Harsh Judging Panel or Virtue/Moir Coloured Glasses on them, but I don't want to see mismatched twizzles from however many time world record holders.

Their new programs - I can't say much either because I'm not a scoring expert but from what I saw (I think I saw the FD, but just once, the voiceover one) I don't know if the choreo serves them that well; there seemed to be a lot of skating flat and stopping to do dance breaks rather than keeping it moving the whole time. But they can sort of do whatever they want from now until the next Olympics and be assured that as long as they don't mess up catastrophically they'll win everything. I hope they don't rest on their laurels, technically speaking.

On 9/29/2019 at 6:10 PM, fyere0 said:

I think they're one of those teams you have to see in person to get it. They came to SOI in Ottawa this spring and did one of their 2018 programs, and while watching them from the 6th row it was instantly apparent to me  why they won Worlds. Their edges are so deep, smooth, and long, it's like ripples of silk going by. No one else is doing that right now. 

• 2 weeks later...