sallycinnamon

Fantasy on Ice 2019 in KOBE

Lady Lutz back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cri:  but still no pics even 3 shows in Kobe ended......?!?!?! :dislike:

Yep, no footage. And refreshing does not do much. :headdesk:

I am starting to think we would be able to script, choreograph, practice and shoot our own show in the meantime... 

its actually good that we dont get any footage for now. i might have been too watered that i can actually die. The footages can be saved for the period after faoi is over. remember we probably have until late august before we might have media day

I'm sure he was there, but I guess the embargo on Yuzu pics still stands...

And the Toshi blog is so...

You know, it's really amazing in a way. Toshi turns 54 this year and he's been through so much. Spoiler for long story, for those not familiar.

Spoiler

I've mentioned this before but Toshi and Yoshiki (the leader of X) grew up together and had been friends for ages. After they graduated highschool, they decided to ditch Uni studies (Yoshiki was supposed to go to Conservatory and Toshi to med school) and instead go to Tokyo and make their rock dreams come true. Back then, hard rock and heavy metal only existed deep indies in Japan. All other rock bands were more of the soft rock variety. Then X came around and after a lot of hardships, with their "Psychedylic Violence Crime of Visual Shock" motto and looks to match, they brought hard rock to the mainstream. And when people would try to dismiss them, Yoshiki would sit at his piano and shut everyone up by proving they were truly musicians.

X became huge and there's footage of them being chased in the airport by hordes of fans after returning from a shoot in LA, with police trying to protect them. By 1993, they had already sold out Tokyo Dome (50,000+ seats, then Japan's largest indoor venue) 3 times and I believe are still the rock band with the most sold out shows there to date (18), though idol bands have by now sold out more.

But with fame came the downside. For the band, who had been heavily influenced by US and UK rock, succeeding in the US became the highest goal they could aspire to and especially Yoshiki fixated on that. But they didn't really speak English and their brand of rock was outdated in the US by then. So they struggled a lot. Toshi especially, because he was the voice of the band and suddenly he had to sing in good English and it became hard. He started having doubts and inferiority complex issues he'd always had resurfaced. And he met a woman who took advantage of that. A singer herself, he started dating her and she fed into his insecurities, while posing as the one person he could turn to. Over a few years, she turned him away from friends and family and then introduced him to a man who made "healing music". Then she and this man brainwashed and abused him - physically and mentally - until he became convinced that X was evil, the music he was forced to sing was evil and the only way for him to cleanse himself (not in a religious sense, but emotionally) was to renounce all of them, and use his fame and money to promote this healing music.

So in 1997, Toshi shocked the world by leaving X and the band eventually disbanded after concluding they couldn't continue without him. They had one last concert before that and it's honestly one of the most heartbreaking things I've ever watched (as is the footage of fans' reactions to the breakup announcement and hide's funeral). Yoshiki said that they were actually afraid to let Toshi speak at that concert, because they had no idea what he would say.

They then met again for hide's funeral (the guitarist hide (generally written like that, without caps) committed suicide a few months later although whether it was accidental or intentional is a hugely controversial issue among fans) and then Toshi continued his healing stuff.

Then suddenly, almost 10 years later comes the shocking news that Toshi had gone to LA and visited Yoshiki and they actually played a song together in Yoshiki's studio. Everyone was shocked, but happy and soon a reunion was announced. Everyone was ecstatic. What nobody knew then was that the same 'cult' that had convinced Toshi X was evil had now encouraged him to meet Yoshiki and do this reunion. Naturally, Toshi started being confused.

With X reunited, Toshi's fame restarted too and the cult benefited the most because they still got all his money. He did several different projects, all promoting the cult and the cult's leader. As a few years passed, Toshi started realizing this wasn't right. He eventually found the woman who had gotten him into this (and whom he'd actually married in 1997, but had never lived a married life with) was living with the cult leader and having a relationship with him. He also found out he was bankrupt, but by then he feared them too much to leave. He tried running once, but they caught him and abused him.

It wasn't until he collapsed in a studio and lost his voice and had to be hospitalized that he was finally able to ask for those people not to be able to get close to him and escape. He was finally able to break free and reveal everything. Thankfully his voice also returned, X had activities again and the members all fully supported him and after filing for bankruptcy was able to properly restart his life. He testified in court against the cult and spoke openly about them and wrote that book on his experience which is honestly quite the horror story. It's unbelievable people like that actually exist.

The bottom line is, Toshi has been through hell and back and although now he seems to be truly enjoying his life, every moment of it, in a way, to me, that he is so touched by Yuzu is a further statement to how amazing Yuzu is. Maybe because Yuzu in his own way has experienced hardships, they are kindered spirits... But everytime Toshi gushes, remembering everything Toshi himself has been through, I feel just how incredible Yuzu is, as a skater and a person.

Sorry about that again and I might have fumbled some details as it's honestly been a while since I revised my Toshi history (my brain has been full of Yuzu the past couple of years lol), but overall it should be about right. Also, sorry about typos. Phone keyboards hate me...

Johnny just outdid himself. But he sorta looks good in it! 

25 minutes ago, Mikusha said:

OMG, I need to see the first day of Kobe! Now!

Also, ToshI... please, bring a secret camera next time and let us have a milisec glimpse of Yuzu's performance...

16 minutes ago, Fay said:

Johnny just outdid himself. But he sorta looks good in it! 

The t-shirt is kinda okay but those trousers are killing me. :giggle:

Just now, ralucutzagy said:

The t-shirt is kinda okay but those trousers are killing me. :giggle:

They are classic flamboyant Johnny. 

They do look ugly with that waistline revealed, though. Truly ugly. Now just imagine someone going to a party wearing THAT! 

1 minute ago, Fay said:

They are classic flamboyant Johnny. 

They do look ugly with that waistline revealed, though. Truly ugly. Now just imagine someone going to a party wearing THAT! 

wth, maybe at a costume party! lol 

eh, just Johnny stuff ...

Honestly, I got to know ToshI first time due to this faoi show. I knew XJapan band, some songs  but only knew Hide among them. But Toshl seems so nice, sincere, cute ,poetic, professional artist and adult.

So appricate for his blogs and high quality live singing.