The roles of PCS/GOE vs ISU's agenda in the new scoring system

2 hours ago, makebelieveup said:

I think this thread is meant for it. But if you would like to start a new thread, go for it! I mean hey fanyus are crazy obsessive creatures who talk about scores and conspiracy theories all day, every day anyway. so why not

Oh cool if you wouldn't consider it derailing here! :D 

On 5/7/2019 at 2:42 PM, WinForPooh said:

ISU is an international body made up of member federations and the ISU council is basically put together from major participating federations - USA, Russia, Japan, Spain, Canada and a couple of other countries are in the ISU council - so it's not like it's a separate thing, the politics we see in judging (judges are also representing their countries' feds) is probably just a sample of the politics that go on during rule-making and conferences of ISU. And I don't buy the judges aren't trained thing at all, they are very well trained when they have to spot edges and UR when done by skaters from smaller feds. I didn't see any of Emmi's URs go uncalled, iirc, for instance. There are better words for such selective incompetence. 

Wrrr, I tried to answer three times and couldn't find good words even in my native language.:tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp: But in summary:

1. I don't think judges are well treined and only during last groups they start to play their game (remember what happened at JWC men SP this year). Sometimes it's indeed politics, sometimes incompetency, sometimes leniency and a lot of benefit of doubt, sometimes judging according to group - many different factors. After all in lower ranked skaters you can find inconsistency when one element is scored from -3 to +1, too.

2. I think current more quads, more BV approach isn't ISU goal and information they try to send, but the side-effect of the way the scoring system is used.