yuzuangel

2019 Autumn Classic International - Tickets and Discussion!

3 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

Anyone thinking of taking telephoto lenses, please be considerate of those around you that you don’t block their view.

:snonegai:

Last year staff weren’t afraid to target people flouting the rules and actually crossed passed several people to get to the seat of one fan with a giant lens during Yuzu’s performance.

:iagree: I saw security guys issued serious warnings multiple times. There are plenty of cameras (such as Panasonic FZ 1000) with mega-zoom lenses. A lady standing next to me was using the said model the whole time last year. Security walked right behind us many times. No problem at all because the lens is not detachable or blocking neighboring people’s views. 

What about DSLRs with "regular" lenses, not the huge telephoto ones? I have a canon eos T2i with a couple of standard lenses that I'd like to use. 

Also, won't it be hard to get good pics with the hockey glass in the way?

7 minutes ago, LittleLottie1881 said:

What about DSLRs with "regular" lenses, not the huge telephoto ones? I have a canon eos T2i with a couple of standard lenses that I'd like to use. 

Also, won't it be hard to get good pics with the hockey glass in the way?

It’d a gamble per the official camera policy (pasted below). Yup, those plexiglass panels obstruct views. That’s why I stood on the back much of the time. 

Camera Policy 

At Skate Canada events, spectators are permitted to use small point and shoot cameras for personal use only. The following guidelines will be enforced:

• No flash photography
  • No camera bags in venue
  • No use of professional cameras and/or detachable lenses
  • Camera cannot interfere with other fans’ enjoyment
  • Any resale of photography or posting photos on professional websites is strictly prohibited
  • Absolutely no video recording is allowed. Only accredited coaches and team managers may be permitted to videotape their own skater/team from rinkside during that skater’s/team’s practice or performance. If athletes wish to obtain a video of their programs, they may purchase a copy from the licensed video distributor on site if applicable.

Spectators not abiding by these restrictions risk having their camera confiscated by venue security staff. Additionally, Skate Canada staff reserves the right to restrict use of other types of cameras should they feel the quality and/or type of camera fail to protect the athletes’ and/or event’s interest

This is not specific to ACI, but it's perhaps worth considering the reasons why many places say "no professional cameras" etc:

It's often to ensure that inconsiderate photographers, do not spoil the event for other people

Large DSLR's with big telephoto lenses are often very noisy, and are extremely distracting and annoying to the people nearby, when the owners "machine-gun" an entire performance. Their telephoto lenses can also be large enough to block the view for people nearby, or even smack them in the face/head.

Some places, are pragmatic about the rules: smaller, quieter cameras are OK, even if they have detachable lenses... and conversely, people blocking others' view by holding up a large tablet are the ones who will find themselves in trouble...!

Other places simply ban "pro" cameras, and they might decide that anything with a detachable lens = "pro".

(NB. The white/grey Canon "L" lenses generally "set off the alarms", and are easily spotted...!)

Always best to check the policy for each event, and contact the organisers if you're unsure your camera will be allowed. If you have big "pro" gear, and no alternative... consider applying for media accrediation - then you can stand in the designated areas for pro/media photographers...!

Personally, I use "micro-four-thirds" cameras (shameless plug). They have detachable lenses, but they are considerably more compact than DSLR lenses. And my camera bodies are extremely quiet (I specifically chose them for that!). And so far, I've never had any problems bringing them into a venue, or using them. But, I usually pack a fixed-lens "compact" too, as a backup, just in case! (Panasonic FZ1000).

OK, so the results are not as good as the top pro's (well of course not! I'm not a pro! LOL)... but they're plenty good enough for me, and certainly way better than I can get from a smartphone. In any case, "Pro" equipment wouldn't suddenly turn me into Joosep Martinsen! The camera is just a tool - and it's only as good as the person behind it...!

When taking photos I also try to be as discreet as possible. All beeps etc are turned off, as well as the rear screen. I try not to obstruct anyone's view, don't lean forward etc. I don't use a lens hood (they serve no purpose at most indoor venues, just makes the lens bigger for no good reason). I don't keep switching to "portrait" orientation, because that might swing my elbow into somebody's face, or block their view.

If I see my neightbours trying to stay out of my way, I make a point (language permitting) of telling them to relax and enjoy the event, and please pay no attention to me, or make any allowances - they're not in my way, I'm trying to stay out of their way!

I mean, no photo is that important! I will inevitably miss hundreds of great shots, all the time, every event... simply because I will be sitting in the "wrong" part of the venue, to get a good angle at certain moments. This is unavoidable. So what does it matter, if I miss a few more? When I can't see around other people in the audience? I still come away with plenty of good ones...

Why no video though? Video isn't necessarily obtrusive, especially if you're using a phone camera or something. I mean I guess they didn't enforce it last year, but the idea that we can't record practices seems dumb.

I just used my phone for a few videos. I found myself too focused on that rather than watching and memorizing the events so I quickly discovered it wasn't for me. 

Remember, be thankful you can even take videos or pictures.... not an option in Japan. 

5 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Telephoto lenses are a bit over the top ....if no photography is the policy.

I remember Prince would ban cellphones and photos because he said fans should just enjoy the performance, and be in the moment.

Solid philosophy...personally I'm not planning to take pics during Yuzu's performance, just practices and warmups -- cause I need to come away with /some/ pics of the legend himself!

I don’t really think binoculars are needed since the venue is small; you can see very clearly even standing at the back!

There is a small food stall in the venue but only selling drinks and snacks (the hot chocolate was a life saver for me because the venue was a bit cold!). And yes, I was able to bring in food from outside.  I brought in my coffee from McDonald’s in the morning.  There is McDonald’s and Tim Hortons within 5 minutes drive.  Also, there is a supermarket within walking distance and it sells a lot of hot food, so a lot of people went there to grab lunch.  I think last year’s ACI thread should have some posts about the supermarket and restaurants nearby.

2 hours ago, shanshani said:

Why no video though? Video isn't necessarily obtrusive, especially if you're using a phone camera or something. I mean I guess they didn't enforce it last year, but the idea that we can't record practices seems dumb.

No video recording is actually a policy for all competitions, unless you’re part of the skaters team. I’ve heard before that the policy is more about protecting young skaters that are minors, but most of the time it’s not enforced.

3 hours ago, YesWay said:

This is not specific to ACI, but it's perhaps worth considering the reasons why many places say "no professional cameras" etc:

It's often to ensure that inconsiderate photographers, do not spoil the event for other people

Large DSLR's with big telephoto lenses are often very noisy, and are extremely distracting and annoying to the people nearby, when the owners "machine-gun" an entire performance. Their telephoto lenses can also be large enough to block the view for people nearby, or even smack them in the face/head.

Some places, are pragmatic about the rules: smaller, quieter cameras are OK, even if they have detachable lenses... and conversely, people blocking others' view by holding up a large tablet are the ones who will find themselves in trouble...!

Other places simply ban "pro" cameras, and they might decide that anything with a detachable lens = "pro".

(NB. The white/grey Canon "L" lenses generally "set off the alarms", and are easily spotted...!)

Always best to check the policy for each event, and contact the organisers if you're unsure your camera will be allowed. If you have big "pro" gear, and no alternative... consider applying for media accrediation - then you can stand in the designated areas for pro/media photographers...!

Personally, I use "micro-four-thirds" cameras (shameless plug). They have detachable lenses, but they are considerably more compact than DSLR lenses. And my camera bodies are extremely quiet (I specifically chose them for that!). And so far, I've never had any problems bringing them into a venue, or using them. But, I usually pack a fixed-lens "compact" too, as a backup, just in case! (Panasonic FZ1000).

OK, so the results are not as good as the top pro's (well of course not! I'm not a pro! LOL)... but they're plenty good enough for me, and certainly way better than I can get from a smartphone. In any case, "Pro" equipment wouldn't suddenly turn me into Joosep Martinsen! The camera is just a tool - and it's only as good as the person behind it...!

When taking photos I also try to be as discreet as possible. All beeps etc are turned off, as well as the rear screen. I try not to obstruct anyone's view, don't lean forward etc. I don't use a lens hood (they serve no purpose at most indoor venues, just makes the lens bigger for no good reason). I don't keep switching to "portrait" orientation, because that might swing my elbow into somebody's face, or block their view.

If I see my neightbours trying to stay out of my way, I make a point (language permitting) of telling them to relax and enjoy the event, and please pay no attention to me, or make any allowances - they're not in my way, I'm trying to stay out of their way!

I mean, no photo is that important! I will inevitably miss hundreds of great shots, all the time, every event... simply because I will be sitting in the "wrong" part of the venue, to get a good angle at certain moments. This is unavoidable. So what does it matter, if I miss a few more? When I can't see around other people in the audience? I still come away with plenty of good ones..

Your photos are really really really good! I was thinking about selling my bulky dslr and buying a micro four thirds camera because they are smaller and lighter (because I have back problems 😬). Now you convinced me to buy one of those. :tumblr_inline_mg16hfnAAr1qdlkyg:

My old phone broke down this year so I also bought a phone with a camera that has a really big zoom and hq just in case they really enforced the no camera policy in the event. (Sorry I'm a picture person :tumblr_inline_ncmif7esGm1rpglid: I like to use my photos for drawing references and other stuff) It's much more quiet than the camera and it won't bother anyone unless you really stretch out your hand enough to annoy/block somebody's view. Though the only cons of it are the photos might be blurry/grainy and the low battery life. I remember last GPF there was a lady beside me that uses her phone to quietly take pictures and the quality was so goooood. sorry for my bad english ;-;

5 hours ago, Maya said:

:iagree: I saw security guys issued serious warnings multiple times. There are plenty of cameras (such as Panasonic FZ 1000) with mega-zoom lenses. A lady standing next to me was using the said model the whole time last year. Security walked right behind us many times. No problem at all because the lens is not detachable or blocking neighboring people’s views. 

Just a note about this: the camera policy can be self-policing at times. A friend lent me their (not very big) DSLR last year, and ten minutes after i starting using it, a very polite but firm Japanese auntie came up to me, put her hand over the end of my lens, and motioned to me to put it away. 

I had mixed feelings. I was sitting off by myself shooting from an empty section of the stands and didn't think I was bothering anyone, it was during a practice not a competition, and I wasn't using the flash, so in my opinion she was over-reaching; on the other hand she was so cute about it I couldn't be upset. 

Fortunately I had two other cameras with me (small point and shoot and my cellphone), so it wasn't much of a big deal. 

IMO if you stand at the railings above the seats and use a DSLR discreetly and briefly from there, probably no one will say anything. If you're using it from the front row of seats, security will ask you to stop, as they did to some fans last year.

5 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

You guys think this year's schedule will be like last year's minus the pairs?  Practices are normally in the morning with the first one on Wednesday, right?

https://skatecanada.ca/2018-autumn-classic-international/

I know I'm being crazy but I'm already trying to plan our trip.  The bf is a late riser and I don't want to waste his ticket when so many are hoping to see Yuzu.  Hopefully the actual schedule will come up in time that we can know what we're doing in time to let someone else enjoy the event if he doesn't want to go to a portion.

As much as I'd like videos and such, I think I'm just going to bring binoculars, a seat cushion, and a cell phone to the events.  I agree with Prince; I think it's better to be fully immersed in the moment.  Besides, there's no way I could take videos as good as the professional crew anyway.

Do venues normally sell food and beverages?  Are we allowed to bring them in?  I'm assuming there's no alcohol

The venue does have a smallish pub onsite that runs the length of the rink, but it was crazy busy the whole time last year and I didn't even bother going in. They also have a little coffee counter that sells hot drinks, soft drinks, snacks, and pizza slices. 

I found the venue cold even though the weather outside was really warm. Dress in (at least 3) layers and/or bring a blanket. 

In my opinion, the best food option is to eat a hearty breakfast before arriving at the venue, bring your own snacks and Thermos of hot drinks, grab lunch at the supermarket, then go for a proper dinner at the end of the day at a restaurant. 

The line for food in the rink was very long. There’s a shopping plaza with some other fast food and a nice super market across the street if you don’t mind walking 5 min. You may be able to get your food just as fast as waiting in the line. I did bring in outside food a few times but I try not to eat in the rink and limit it to beverages since I feel that’s distracting. 

5 hours ago, shanshani said:

I didn't see them enforcing camera rules during practice, and they didn't care about phone cameras during the competition either. The only time I saw them enforce camera rules were for the people with large, detachable, telephoto lenses sitting near the front during competition. I saw people with those cameras standing in the back throughout the event and it looked like security didn't bother them.

5 hours ago, liv said:

I just used my phone for a few videos. I found myself too focused on that rather than watching and memorizing the events so I quickly discovered it wasn't for me...

Same here. I was too busy trying to shoot the video instead of enjoying the performance so I quickly decided I would only take pictures/videos during practice or the warmup.

12 hours ago, Dreamer said:

Telephoto lenses are a bit over the top ....if no photography is the policy.

I remember Prince would ban cellphones and photos because he said fans should just enjoy the performance, and be in the moment.

But did I mention, after he died:sadPooh:, some of the best audio of his last two concerts were recorded bootlegs?  His estate was in such a mess, I don't think we will ever get an official release of his last 2 concerts.  Prince was legendary and phenomenal in his last two concerts, and thanks to bootlegs or fans we have audio to remember him by.   

So even though I am unlikely to record Yuzu or take photos because I want to enjoy him in the moment: I thank the fan footage of his performances for many, many great moments!