The Asinine Comments thread

Rewatching 2002 Olympics.  Anyone remember when Scott Hamilton screeched during Yagudin's LP "He's conceding the long program to Goebel".  Yagudin was a unanimous 1st in the free skate and Goebel's ordinals ranged from 3rd to 5th

Scott Hamilton during 1994 Olympics about G&G vs. M&D "It's passion vs. perfection" after G&G made 3? mistakes. Also, passion isn't part of any of the scores

Joe Inman in his TSL interview:

[About Hanyu]

10:45 I never get the feeling that he understands what he’s skating to. 

15:08  If you don’t have music that has a lot of variety, how can you interpret the music?[so he penalizes if he doesn't like your music]... not truly understanding what he’s skating to.

18:25 A +5 is perfection for me.  I don’t know what they’re saying a +5 is… there is a must, where if you don’t have the 3 things or, whatever, 4 … basically, if you look at what we did at the very beginning, the take-off, rotation, the something else, I can’t remember, and the landing, and if you look at those, that’s what they’re talking about must be achieved and from there you go up.  [yup. the expert judge doesn't even know what the core bullets are]

19:35 I never give a +3 on a sit spin because of the positions… to me, when they go to those turtle things, the aesthetic is lost [he automatically holds back marks for doing a sit spin:huh:]

28:03

B: where then, are you penalizing for that poor posture?  Is that skating skills or performance?

I: I do it in both… even though it says carriage in skating skills… even though it was pounded that you’re not supposed to say posture… [so he outright says that he ignores what he's told he's supposed to do. he goes on to explain the difference between posture and carriage so it isn't just a semantics issue. Also, carriage is listed in performance, not skating skills]

30:54 (Kolyada) I don’t see enough variety of interesting movements, especially this Carmen

34:13 talk about good posture and carriage… was Brezina… I liked personally that better in my marking was .5 higher in everything except skating skills to Koldaya [Kolyada], the Russian boy.

40:40

L: How about Vincent’s components.  To me, they were really inflated…

I: I think he’s better than what everybody’s saying… I think he’s just as good to me, maybe not carriage wise, as the Russian Carmen [Kolyada :smiley-shocked032:]

57:10

I: Fans have bias, prejudices, and their favorites [explaining the difference between fans and judges] and Hanu [What he calls Hanyu the whole interview] is a favorite of a lot of people 

1:10 I gave [Kolyada] a 7.5 

58:15 I don’t know if he’s taking a full load [Jonathon’s eyes widen - talking about Nathan at Yale]

He also goes on and on and on about how he marks down on everything for poor phrasing.  Phrasing is specifically listed in the Composition mark

3 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Rewatching 2002 Olympics.  Anyone remember when Scott Hamilton screeched during Yagudin's LP "He's conceding the long program to Goebel".  Yagudin was a unanimous 1st in the free skate and Goebel's ordinals ranged from 3rd to 5th

Scott Hamilton during 1994 Olympics about G&G vs. M&D "It's passion vs. perfection" after G&G made 3? mistakes. Also, passion isn't part of any of the scores

Joe Inman in his TSL interview:

[About Hanyu]

10:45 I never get the feeling that he understands what he’s skating to. 

15:08  If you don’t have music that has a lot of variety, how can you interpret the music?[so he penalizes if he doesn't like your music]... not truly understanding what he’s skating to.

18:25 A +5 is perfection for me.  I don’t know what they’re saying a +5 is… there is a must, where if you don’t have the 3 things or, whatever, 4 … basically, if you look at what we did at the very beginning, the take-off, rotation, the something else, I can’t remember, and the landing, and if you look at those, that’s what they’re talking about must be achieved and from there you go up.  [yup. the expert ISU judge doesn't even know what the core bullets are]

19:35 I never give a +3 on a sit spin because of the positions… to me, when they go to those turtle things, the aesthetic is lost [he automatically holds back marks for doing a sit spin:huh:]

28:03

B: where then, are you penalizing for that poor posture?  Is that skating skills or performance?

I: I do it in both… even though it says carriage in skating skills… even though it was pounded that you’re not supposed to say posture… [so he outright says that he ignores what he's told he's supposed to do. he goes on to explain the difference between posture and carriage so it isn't just a semantics issue. Also, carriage is listed in performance, not skating skills]

30:54 (Kolyada) I don’t see enough variety of interesting movements, especially this Carmen

34:13 talk about good posture and carriage… was Brezina… I liked personally that better in my marking was .5 higher in everything except skating skills to Koldaya [Kolyada], the Russian boy.

40:40

L: How about Vincent’s components.  To me, they were really inflated…

I: I think he’s better than what everybody’s saying… I think he’s just as good to me, maybe not carriage wise, as the Russian Carmen [Kolyada :smiley-shocked032:]

I: Fans have bias, prejudices, and their favorites [explaining the difference between fans and judges] and Hanu [What he calls Hanyu the whole interview] is a favorite of a lot of people 

58:15 I don’t know if he’s taking a full load [Jonathon’s eyes widen - talking about Nathan at Yale]

He also goes on and on and on about how he marks down on everything for poor phrasing.  Phrasing is specifically listed in the Composition mark

I see we are in good hands:headdesk2:

Also personally as a fan I do have my favorite skaters and I'm not a very knowledgeable in terms of technique but again as fan I'm not blind.

Joe Inman is still allowed to judge after his not even remotely subtle attempt to prop Lysacek (Lysacek) as the more artistic skater compared to Plushy? 

Well, fitting, seeing that USFSA has two Lysaceks on hand now.

14 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Probably meant it on the technical side.

14 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

G&G were perfect (or the best) on several aspects: skating skills, transitions, interpretation.

"Passion" not being a part of the scores is nonsense, and also a robotic way of talking about a performance. It's exactly what should ideally be judged in components. Call it "attack" if you like.

38 minutes ago, mercedes said:

:rofl: if he's saying judges don't have them, then, again, meet his own 2010 comments. 

There's a reason I don't watch TSL LMAO 

45 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

This is a bogus criticism, as any music can be interpreted through movement.

(and given that he's talking about his "feeling" about what Hanyu does, congrats on contradicting his own statement later)

47 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

He also goes on and on and on about how he marks down on everything for poor phrasing. 

He doesn't even seem to understand what phrasing means all on his own, given his comments on music. So yay for the skaters who get saddled with him in a competition.

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

:rofl: if he's saying judges don't have them, then, again, meet his own 2010 comments. 

There's a reason I don't watch TSL LMAO 

I don't watch TSL anymore,i started once but then they were not very sublty insulting Tracy Wilson and her looks and i found it so ugly and tastless that i quit after like 2 minutes.

Judges are human beings of course thwy have bias,but it should be a bare minimun of it but yeah i think I preaching to the choir here  :drinks:

I don't have any specific comments to add right now, just wanted to express my approval of Scott Hamilton being the first person mentioned in this thread. I'm not exaggerating when I say that some of his disrespectful antics have literally made me feel ashamed to be American, he's that bad.

10 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

Probably meant it on the technical side.

He was talking about the ordinals and how since Plush was 4th in the SP,  Yagudin could afford to be 2nd in the FS.  At first he was just saying that he was conceding the LP to Plush.  But then Yagudin watered down his program some more and Scott started going on about how he can't concede the long program to Goebel or he could lose. Scott definitely thought Yagudin might lose the LP to Goebel.

10 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

"Passion" not being a part of the scores is nonsense, and also a robotic way of talking about a performance. It's exactly what should ideally be judged in components. Call it "attack" if you like.

But he was talking about their style, not being cautious vs assertive or whatever a better word for it is.  Both pairs skated with "attack".  Not sure about this one, but I also think he completely ignored the mistakes made by G&G and their lower jump tech.  The seeming implication was that G&G were perfect and if M&D won, it was because the judges just liked them better.

2 hours ago, Old Cat Lady said:

He was talking about the ordinals and how since Plush was 4th in the SP,  Yagudin could afford to be 2nd in the FS.  At first he was just saying that he was conceding the LP to Plush.  But then Yagudin watered down his program some more and Scott started going on about how he can't concede the long program to Goebel or he could lose. Scott definitely thought Yagudin might lose the LP to Goebel.

Then lol. Even if he'd been placed second technically, they'd never have put him below Tim on the artistic mark, giving him the first place in the LP.

• 2 months later...