Comparison videos and articles

I wanted to collect videos and articles comparing elements/programs side by side or over layed so you can directly compare them.  

Lutz

This one gives stats on quad lutzes performed by Nathan and Yuzu

http://perform-live.com/blog/video-analysis-of-figure-skating/231-quad-lutz-what-else.html

Not sure how informative it is since it's so old but this also has these types of pics of Nathan's jumps from the Olympics

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2018/02/16/sports/olympics/nathan-chen-mens-figure-skating.html

Lutz by Boyang

http://perform-live.com/blog/video-analysis-of-figure-skating/216-interactive-advanced-analysis-4lz-jin.html

tumblr_p38lvfUt4K1rqqvu8o3_r1_250.gif

tumblr_inline_p7nklsZX8v1slyotu_540.gif

tumblr_oqcr6dGGhy1qk1j3lo1_500.gif

Judging by the videos I've seen so far, I think this might be the greatest quad Lutz ever performed. Huge height and distance and a smooth landing.

Seeing these GIFS of Kolyada's makes me so sad. I'm guessing the falls later in the season unnerved him and he was trying to skate cleaner so he dropped it.  I don't get how jumps with such perfect looking technique are so inconsistent. Did he just develop the yips and could never overcome them?

SBS of Scherbakova and Trusova at the beginning

This was already posted in General Yuzuru chat but I wanted to have a thread dedicated to illustrating differences in quality so I hope admins don't mind me reposting here

I highly doubt the stats in the Hanyu vs Chen quad Lutz comparison lol. 

Nathan has increased his jump height to nearly Kolyada-level on his quad lutz (if you watch that execution, it's not even close!), but had a gain in air time of only 0.02 seconds from when he had a 53 cm high 4Lz?! Also, 75 cm on a 0.7 s air time?! Or how Yuzuru's air time jumps from 0.761 s to 0.781 s ( which had lower height than nathan's 0.7 s jump... and while the height for yuzuru's seems about right, 0.781 s for that seems wrong as a result) in the same picture. And I don't believe the stats he put up for Boyang's 4Lz either, although the one he picked was a less-than-good execution (and the linked video is an entirely different one :laughing: )

I'm not trying to vouch for the accuracy or relevance of any of this stuff.  I just have one of those nerd brains that like to collect as much data as possible before drawing conclusions.  And for me it's just plain fun to watch.  Also, I didn't intend to make this a Yuzu vs. Nathan thing.  I just posted the stuff that I happen to have on hand.  I'm currently looking for that gif of Javi's 4s superimposed over Yuzu's AC 4s.  I would also love a gif of a Tuktamysheva 3axel imposed over a Kihira one.  And I'm looking for that Russian article comparing the jump heights - wish I thought of this earlier.  So much more work to look for it later than to just save it right away.

anyway, until then, here's some ice scope data.  Of course, the accuracy of it has been debated quite a bit.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10Gm4Aq6j4py4cQ1Nq-_RpdA0vYhG0kABaVPVRVLsj6k/edit?usp=sharing

16 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I'm not trying to vouch for the accuracy or relevance of any of this stuff.  I just have one of those nerd brains that like to collect as much data as possible before drawing conclusions.  And for me it's just plain fun to watch.  Also, I didn't intend to make this a Yuzu vs. Nathan thing

No that's fine. I just noticed that a bit back, and decided to post it here since I saw the web page pop up here :)

Per standard kinematics, flight time is a direct function of height, unless there's some large difference in air resistance between the two jumps, which there isn't. You can't jump way higher but remain in the air for only a bare fraction longer--that not how gravity works. So unless Nathan has somehow figure out how to manipulate the gravitational fields around him using his mind, those 4Lz numbers are highly suspect.

Edit: Based on my calculations, a jump with a flight time of 0.7 seconds has a maximum height of 60 centimeters in the absence of air resistance. The equation for maximum height (in meters) of a projectile in a vacuum as a function of flight time (in seconds) is 1/8*9.81*(flight time)^2. This is high school level physics stuff (I should know, I am occasionally called upon to teach high-school level physics), kind of embarrassing for Perform Live to be honest. The only complication here (besides the largely negligible are resistance) is that foot movement could through off the relationship a bit if you pull your foot towards your torso before landing in order to spend a little more time in the air, but that would result in a lower height for the same flight time. So 60 cm should still be the maximum.

Flight time (s) Maximum height in a vacuum (cm)
0.68 56.7
0.70 60.1
0.75 69.0
0.76 70.8
0.78 74.6

The stats for flight time versus maximum height in a vacuum on Earth if anyone is interested. Actual heights would probably be lower because of air resistance and there's a little messiness since this tracks the skater's center of mass rather than their blade location. Still, should be roughly right.

51 minutes ago, shanshani said:
Flight time (s) Maximum height in a vacuum (cm)
0.68 56.7
0.70 60.1
0.75 69.0
0.76 70.8
0.78 74.6

The stats for flight time versus maximum height in a vacuum on Earth if anyone is interested. Actual heights would probably be lower because of air resistance and there's a little messiness since this tracks the skater's center of mass rather than their blade location. Still, should be roughly right.

These are close enough approximations.

ETA: I'd rather Ice Scope gave us air times instead of what it does.

1 hour ago, hoodie axel said:

These are close enough approximations.

ETA: I'd rather Ice Scope gave us air times instead of what it does.

I think it would be great if ice scope could give us flight times as well. It would be a good reality check for the height numbers.

21 minutes ago, shanshani said:

I think it would be great if ice scope could give us flight times as well. It would be a good reality check for the height numbers.

It also just seems like it would be easier to produce, for that matter. There were several numbers I didn't believe during worlds. In general I'm taking all these statistics with big grains of salt, but this perform live was just entirely against thought.

Hope it's not too annoying but editing my posts to try to keep like elements together.

3 axels

Blog post of different Ladies 3 axels

http://morozombie.blogspot.com/2015/04/a-comparison-of-ladies-triple-axels.html

This video is amazing.  The whole thing is good but starting at 3:22, you can see sbs gifs. As expected, Ito's dwarfed the res

OMG! sbs of Kihira and Yuzu.  I want to see a sbs of Ito and all the men!

Frame by frame shots are my new obsession.

Olympics-figure-skating-Asada.jpg?alias=

b5bd6357853f79c69bc2ddf57e4b7de7.jpg

fig13100605030004-p1.jpg

mao-asada-3A-ai2html_180.jpg

composite-photo-shows-japans-rika-kihira

Still need to find Tuk but here's Rika.  The more I look at these, the more impressed I am with Mao's.  Hers is so delicate looking but it's a decent sized jump with superior body position.  I think it compares favorably with every axel except Ito's

tumblr_ood20czf541v4ru7do7_1280.jpg

triple-axel-720.jpg

Obviously this isn't Nathan's best axel but it's amazing to see it right next to Yuzu's composite photo.  Hopefully I can find a more recent one but pretty sure that his axel hasn't gotten any bigger

20160901211707.jpg Sept 1, 2016

59ba6ed72c392dc8a8865edb2805bd76.jpg

Obviously this was taken from the Olympics so probably not an example of his typical axel but no wonder he had issues with it.  look at all the snow on the takeoff.  I don't follow Chan but now I'm curious if his legs are in that air position for other jumps.

Also loving these collages people put together - Spirals

iwU31ZsjRFMpwst_ZQ7oM_370.jpeg

fbd73cd01a08cfc0dd8c2016478cfb42.jpg

Don't know who the person in the bottom right corner is but I like hers the best out of these collages.  I've never been a fan of the hand assisted spirals and Sasha's edge bothers me. Though when I mentally filter out the hand holding the leg, I think Mao has the best combo of position + edge. I find Yuna's photo somewhat jarring - not her best element. 

7454c92bcfef9bd28b8e295e139361d0.jpg

Still think of Bobek when I think of the most beautiful spirals. I prefer the alignment of her body to Michelle's though in these photos it looks like Michelle has a better edge.  

dcf7d3c1e662e7889297b1beb9a20c9a.jpg

QUAD LOOP

composite-photo-shows-shoma-uno-of-japan

K10011859031_1903241651_1903241652_01_02

quad-loop-Hanyu-2016-analysis.jpg

http://perform-live.com/blog/video-analysis-of-figure-skating/183-how-to-improve-the-quad-loop-of-hanyu.html

Ice Scope claims that the one he did at worlds was 220 cm long, 64 cm high.  But the giant gap in measurement also doesn't mean much since they're 2 different jumps and  Yuzu had more problems with the jump Perform-live used, and the GPF loop was out of a spread eagle.

49571fbfa0e031a819a9d61048edfe18.jpg

17de4179166ae5dc6b091531be4e1a54.gif

QUAD FLIP

mqdefault.jpg

tumblr_oiwotllF7k1w0dcjbo2_500.gif

quad-flip-Shoma-Uno-advanced-analysis.jp

http://perform-live.com/our-works/video-analysis-of-figure-skating/164-how-to-do-a-quad-flip-by-shoma-uno-japan.html

Shoma's flips look pretty consistently tiny. Earlier this year, TSL was doing GOE instructional videos and Dave kept insisting that he should get the "very good height and distance" bullet.

composite-photo-taken-on-dec-7-shows-sho

quad-flip-combo-720.jpg

quad-flip-touchdown-720.jpg

How could I forget about the famous Tom Z facebook vid.  My favorite thing about this video is how clearly you can see Vincent's skate bounce as he takes off facing forward.  ETA: weird.  It was the video but now I see Tom Z's essay and a link to the video that doesn't work. :confused:

The video was made and shared by ICeleste

SBS of them doing almost the exact step

I really like the 2nd part of the video because you see them doing the steps sbs.  By itself, I thought Nate's stsq was pretty good but right next to 19 yo Yuzu, all I can see is how shallow all the steps are