It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

Shoma, if you're going be coachless, might as well ask one or more of your decorated senpais to coach you temporarily.

There's Arakawa,Takahashi, Mao. And a host of less decorated ones. Even Mura, doesnt Mura's father coach? 

I can imagine them being appalled at the idea of Shoma training alone .

I doubt he's going to go coachless. There's no way he feels he's been taught enough at this point to not need anyone for a full season, while training on his own to improve consistency, make layout changes, and heal his injuries -- or at least I hope he realizes that, since it's not a Kwan situation with him at all.

I feel like, language barrier aside, Eteri's team might be compatible with Shoma. It would definitely be good for his skating in general (he's always had pretty empty programs, I wouldn't mind for him to do more transitions once in a while), and his training style is very similar to Eteri's. Hours and hours on ice, and lots of runthroughs. But her team's never trained a top men skater, so that's going to be interesting. 

Yikes, I don’t like the sound of this.  I felt that Patrick Chan after his comeback in 2015/16, though he had coaches in theory didn’t actually pay much attention to what (if anything) they said to him, and he was another one with a close relationship with his first coach.  It really showed in his skating.   I don’t think Shoma has PCs level of.... let’s call it self confidence, but I do think he will drift without back up from someone qualified to oversee his training.   What about Keiji’s coach as stopgap while he’s shopping around ?  

Don't be fooled by his occasionally "dopey" lost look.  Shoma is a young man of iron will (and iron stomach), and also he is surrounded by loving and supportive family and friends (including his coaches) who are willing to release him into the wild.  He knows he needs to break out of the old pattern and is seeking new experiences but on his own terms.  As I mentioned earlier, I am struck by his choice of words (in Japanese) that shows a new sense of direction and firmness that I had not heard from him before.  He may or may not succeed in his quest,  but I respect his courage to go forth into the unknown without a safety net.  I look forward to following his journey, whatever the outcome.

Hm... I was gonna say that Shoma probably knows best what he needs (certainly better than any of us), but if he indeed has coachless season, it's... very dangerous experiment I suppose.

Only time will tell...

Maybe he should go to Yale and train with Nathan :D

Shoma really knows how to keep us enrertained.

Mao won 2008 worlds without a coach but that was after 3 months training on her own, not a whole season. I don't think it's wise to skate a whole season without a coach. Even if his experience with Eteri doesn't go well, it  should be possible to find a coach in Japan.