It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

On 6/4/2019 at 11:06 PM, axelnojutsu said:

I would hope Brian would not even consider creating another Mao Yuna situation there..

Surely the drama surrounding that is partly because of the particular preferences of the skaters and/or their teams. Yuna iirc didn't want Brian to work with Mao, but I don't think Yuzu is as opposed to Brian working with his rivals, cuz, I mean, Javi. I can't really see Yuzu objecting to Shoma, and I don't see Brian moving forward if he did.

The fact that he only get choreo in Aug really make me think TCC is out of question. I mean, why wait until Aug when David Wilson always there ? I have a feeling he's still undecided. I won't rule out the possibility of him switching to another japanese coach.

(In most coaching changes, it feel like lots of fans looking for babysisters for skaters)

19 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Surely the drama surrounding that is partly because of the particular preferences of the skaters and/or their teams. Yuna iirc didn't want Brian to work with Mao, but I don't think Yuzu is as opposed to Brian working with his rivals, cuz, I mean, Javi. I can't really see Yuzu objecting to Shoma, and I don't see Brian moving forward if he did.

The Yuzu&Javi relationship was unique, I can't see it working again (Shoma is lovely, but Javi's generosity and welcome was always something else, I have always thought that he even more than Yuzu made that early teaming up work). And there is the point that Shoma has said - more than once - that one of his biggest ambitions is to beat Yuzuru. That's a little more personal (though quite understandable, and in a competitive, not disturbing, way!) than just wanting to win gold, and might make sharing the coach who might be supposed to make it happen for him difficult.

And - without being unkind - I got the feeling that signing up with Evgenia proved more work and drama than Brian and the TCC actually anticipated.  Sure, the rewards are now showing up and may be great, but would Brian want to again take on a person already at the top and remould them, until she is pretty much where they want her to be?

Shoma has said he's still basically shopping around...

I think there was an interview on US or Canadian tv with Tracey in which she said it can work but only if they’re both nice people - and underlying that, the coaches are also nice people who care about things like the atmosphere in training sessions and make arrangements to deal with problems of proximity in the run up to important events.

Hamada seems to cope with Miyahara and Kihira at the same rink - plus the unheralded Hosoda who also has 3A - there doesn’t seem to be friction there, and the Kobe girls.  I suspect it requires the right chemistry - conflict is not necessarily the automatic outcome.  

18 minutes ago, TallyT said:

The Yuzu&Javi relationship was unique, I can't see it working again (Shoma is lovely, but Javi's generosity and welcome was always something else, I have always thought that he even more than Yuzu made that early teaming up work). And there is the point that Shoma has said - more than once - that one of his biggest ambitions is to beat Yuzuru. That's a little more personal (though quite understandable, and in a competitive, not disturbing, way!) than just wanting to win gold, and might make sharing the coach who might be supposed to make it happen for him difficult.

And - without being unkind - I got the feeling that signing up with Evgenia proved more work and drama than Brian and the TCC actually anticipated.  Sure, the rewards are now showing up and may be great, but would Brian want to again take on a person already at the top and remould them, until she is pretty much where they want her to be?

Shoma has said he's still basically shopping around...

Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't, but Yuzu's personality is different from Yuna's, Yuzu vs Shoma is a different situation than Yuna vs Mao (that rival iirc had a degree of tension that way, way outstrips Yuzu versus Shoma), so I don't really see why it would necessarily have to result in some big dramatic fallout. And again, I doubt that Brian wouldn't at least discuss it with Yuzu, and if Yuzu is really opposed I think he could sink the idea. I agree Javi was probably a bigger factor in Javi & Yuzu working out, but clearly Yuzu isn't like, incapable of training with a rival or inexperienced with managing the dynamics that come with that. Plus, Shoma is his countryman and will hopefully be around to represent Japanese figure skating after Yuzu r-words, so Yuzu has reasons to want Shoma to be successful. On top of all that, the fact that they appear to have a kind of big brother-little brother type dynamic going on can only help defuse any problems that might arise.

Anyway, TCC might be too busy anyway, and they do have their own stuff to deal with with Lee Barkel's departure. I just don't think that if Shoma goes to TCC it's going to be some kind of big problem for Yuzu.

3 hours ago, shanshani said:

Maybe it would work, maybe it wouldn't, but Yuzu's personality is different from Yuna's, Yuzu vs Shoma is a different situation than Yuna vs Mao (that rival iirc had a degree of tension that way, way outstrips Yuzu versus Shoma), so I don't really see why it would necessarily have to result in some big dramatic fallout. And again, I doubt that Brian wouldn't at least discuss it with Yuzu, and if Yuzu is really opposed I think he could sink the idea. I agree Javi was probably a bigger factor in Javi & Yuzu working out, but clearly Yuzu isn't like, incapable of training with a rival or inexperienced with managing the dynamics that come with that. Plus, Shoma is his countryman and will hopefully be around to represent Japanese figure skating after Yuzu r-words, so Yuzu has reasons to want Shoma to be successful. On top of all that, the fact that they appear to have a kind of big brother-little brother type dynamic going on can only help defuse any problems that might arise.

Anyway, TCC might be too busy anyway, and they do have their own stuff to deal with with Lee Barkel's departure. I just don't think that if Shoma goes to TCC it's going to be some kind of big problem for Yuzu.

I think that being countrymen would add to the tension actually.

For example, if Boyang or Kevin Aymoz or Daniel Grassrl went to TCC the change in dynamics wouldn't worry me that much:peekapooh: at the same time, if Kazuki or Sota went to TCC the dynamics wouldn't worry me that much, either.... but Shoma... Yuzuru wants Shoma to be successful, but maybe he'd prefer him to train for that success somewhere else:P

If I think how it would have been if Shoma had been in place of Javi before PyeongChang, no matter how nice the people involved are, and how brotherly Yuzu acts towards Shoma, I just can't imagine that things would have gone well. I do believe it wasn't just Javi being extremely nice that made things work in the Yuzu-Javi comradership, there was also Yuzu giving his own contribute, but tbh if you think about what some sides of jpn media have said to bring Yuzu down while propping his rival whenever possible, I don't think Yuzuru and/or his team would be as trusting towards the team of said rival (even despite said rival not having asked for that kind of propping up).

well, TCC has already Junhwan + Jason other than Yuzu, and at least those two are aiming for 2022 for sure, so adding another top skater wouldn't be only about Yuzuru. But if TCC really is among possibilities, I would expect them to be super extra careful especially because we're talking about the other Jpn top skater.

well, I'm still sad no Eteri:P  but since I hope Yuzu will go to Rostelecom because I NEED fancams (yes I'm greedy and anyway NHK is cursed too) Shoma not moving to Russia and not moving to Canada might help my wishes more... yeah I'm rooting for SC too even if it means usual underscoring, I just want FANCAMS ok? Skate Canada already seem to love Shoma, if he moves there no way they'll let me have my Yuzu fancams:angrypooh:

14 hours ago, eagle said:

Yeah, my reason no 1 is the main reason.  Shoma has been with his coach since he was 5, so, he needs a change of scene, he knows it. The comparison is made with Jason cos Jason left his long time coach & has stated the differences between his previous training situation to TCC.

As far as I know, Shoma is top senior male skater at his rink(similar to Jason previously), I have only seen Mihoko sensei at the boards with a young female skater.

On Nathan's side, Brezina is also training under Rafael. He can do 2 different quads if I remember correctly. Then of course in-coming  is Gogolev. Though I think it's unlikely Nathan's camp & USFS will agree to a direct rival for 2022 OG gold coming in.

Yuzu & Javi were actual rivals at the same rink. They were taking turns winning WC, 2014 to 2017. It doesnt work for everybody but it can work.

Added  : Shoma has announced his choreographers for next season :-

SP= Shae LB.  LP=David Wilson

So, it looks closer to a Canada coach, not necessarily TCC.

Reading other choreographers' names on Shoma's competitive programs truly feels like a breath of fresh air... yeah I know it's so exaggerated but hey don't you feel the same way too ;þ

I can imagine Shoma go to TCC, Raf, Tom Z, etc., but Eteri? Lmaoooo I know there are lots of rumors about it but still can't imagine. Like Uno has been trained with the always SMILEY Mihoko since he was 5, and now he will be with Eteri the infamous RBF? It's not about smiling or not but I'm sure their training styles are very different too, can Shoma get along with that? If he actually goes with Eteri I'm still very shocked, despite the rumors in advance.

It's alr too late for any major change in technique, what he needs now is to stabilize his jumps to get consistency points again.

Haizz, at the end, having good jump technique is still the key for a lasting career. Now you see many young skaters rise to the top in no time, but how many can stay afloat after 10 ss like Kostner (and Yuzu, counted next ss)? Time will tell.

Shoma going to TCC would be a bit ... awkward. He's Yuzu's countrymate AND rinkmate.... Would it be like Plushenko vs Yagudin lollllll

Imagine your brother goes to school studying in the same class with you, on top of that, you 2 are always being compared by your parents and teachers. It's kinda suffocating.

2 hours ago, monchan said:

Shoma going to TCC would be a bit ... awkward. He's Yuzu's countrymate AND rinkmate.... Would it be like Plushenko vs Yagudin lollllll

Imagine your brother goes to school studying in the same class with you, on top of that, you 2 are always being compared by your parents and teachers. It's kinda suffocating.

It's impossible. I am 100% sure Brian has never really considered that Shoma training there would be possible. 

(watch him prove me wrong... I would have to flip too many tables)