It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

1 hour ago, Moria Polonius said:

But let me be honest: from the outside pov, I don't see any coach who could improve Shoma's results other than Raf.  And Raf trains Shoma's greatest rival, so I'm not sure whether Shoma would consider going there. 

And I doubt that said rival and his family and federation would be even slightly agreeable to his coach working to improve the chances in Beijing of one of the men who beat him in Pyeongchang... you'd need to be a saint to even contemplate it.

OTOH, Shoma just got his first international gold with his current coach, so any step up must be... quite a step.

23 minutes ago, eagle said:

There is another coach, but that coach teaches Shoma's senpai.

Well, yeah, that's why I did take him into account. But maybe Brian is as likely to take on Shoma as Raf. The question is whether Shoma would rather train with Yuzu every day or with Nathan who's away in Yale. Tbf Raf's "empty choreo" approach might be more what Shoma's used to. The TCC choreo is more challenging but I think Shoma might be able to pull it off.  They might want to improve his cheated jumps though and it might destabilize him.  Bit I think Shoma's one of the few who could make David Wilson choreo work. 

4 minutes ago, TallyT said:

And I doubt that said rival and his family and federation would be even slightly agreeable to his coach working to improve the chances in Beijing of one of the men who beat him in Peongchang... you'd need to be a saint to even contemplate it.

OTOH, Shoma just got his first international gold with his current coach, so any step up must be... quite a step.

So... Eteri!

I am sure that Shoma can handle complex programs and challenging choreography. We have criticised him before but I don't think anyone disagrees that he does have very good skating skills, stamina and is a wonderful performer. Shoma's real problem is his jump technique and I think he needs to focus on finding a coach to help him with that. I hope he finds a good technical coach while taking responsibility for his own programs. He should start to have more input and to push for more complexity in his programs himself rather than relying on his team for everything. 

14 minutes ago, Moria Polonius said:

Well, yeah, that's why I did take him into account. But maybe Brian is as likely to take on Shoma as Raf. The question is whether Shoma would rather train with Yuzu every day or with Nathan who's away in Yale. Tbf Raf's "empty choreo" approach might be more what Shoma's used to. The TCC choreo is more challenging but I think Shoma might be able to pull it off.  They might want to improve his cheated jumps though and it might destabilize him.  Bit I think Shoma's one of the few who could make David Wilson choreo work. 

I consider Orser more likely than Rafael cos of where Yuzu is in his career. Yuzu already achieved his goal of 2 OG golds. With his ankle condition, we dont know how long Yuzu can compete.

Shoma's success is Japan's success.

While Shoma would be in direct competition to Nathan for OG 2022. The likelihood is same as Yuzu going to Patrick Chan's US coach back in 2012.

Wow, I did not see this coming. I had the feeling throughout the entire season that Shoma was putting a lot of pressure on himself, but I'd never imagine a complete change of coaching team. No idea where he'll go. Doesn't Shoma have really bad English? (Does he speak any other language?) Living abroad would be such a big change. Theoretically I see the benefits of course, but the identity of the new coach has me scratching my head. 

Wow. I'm proud of Shoma for taking this big step, especially at this point in his career! His adjustment will be rough no matter where he goes but he needs something new, even if he has to sacrifice this season for it.

The only thing I worry about is......almost every 'name' coach out there (and his team won't settle for anything less than a 'name', Shoma's one of the top men in the world) would be a sh*tshow for his specific needs, or would be a problem with the current roster at that place. 

Hehe, I was wondering why nobody is mentioning Brian. What if Yuzu decided to take his kouhai under his wing to correct his jumps a little and getting him ready to be his rightful heir? haha jk

Brian has his hands full with enough star athletes. He wouldn't have the time for Shoma too .

This is the biggest surprise of this (boring) off season so far. Shoma didn't want to leave his coaches before but last season's struggles probably convinced him that he needed a coaching change. He may stay in Japan but I think there's more chance that he goes to train abroad. Maybe to the US.

Next season will be difficult for him with new new coaches and - if he doesn't stay in Japan - in a completely new environment too. 

42 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Hehe, I was wondering why nobody is mentioning Brian. What if Yuzu decided to take his kouhai under his wing to correct his jumps a little and getting him ready to be his rightful heir? haha jk

Don't joke... I'm sure Yuzu is watching.. :mischief:

Wow. Shoma used to say he would never be choreographed by anyone but Mihoko, so this move has to have been done, if not under their direction, with their fullest blessings and under the assumption that they had done all they could for him. 

I cant see him moving to Orser, as long as Yuzu is still actively competing. 2 skaters fighting for spots training in the same overseas rink? Maybe if Yuzu had an inkling he wanted to r***** soon and was willing to help JSF nurture his successor. Maybe, but I doubt it.

Raf? Again there’ll be issues with Nate, just like wIth Yuzu. ET? Aside from the language issues, she’s not known for good male skaters.

Lambiel perhaps? Or yikes Tom Z? Who trains Vincent, is it Tammy Gambil? 

All the other coaches have top men already...

:popcorn:

17 minutes ago, Sukigirl said:

Shoma used to say he would never be choreographed by anyone but Mihoko, so this move has to have been done, if not under their direction, with their fullest blessings and under the assumption that they had done all they could for him. 

Shoma's message indicates that he's leaving with their support indeed.

Someone on Reddit brought up the idea of Mishin - he's a good technical coach and he's certainly had success coaching men (although not quite as much under IJS). There's a huge language barrier to be overcome, but it's an intriguing idea...

I think Brian would be a good fit coaching-wise (and can you imagine Shoma if Ghislain got to work on his jumps?), but honestly, I don't think his group has room for another elite skater. And for all they appear to get along well, I don't think Yuzu would love the idea of training side-by-side with one of his top rivals. He's just too competitive. It wouldn't be like when Yuzu came to TCC and he and Javi were both rising stars. Yuzu and Shoma are the cream of the crop in men's skating today.

Raf could certainly be an option, but again, I can't see Nathan agreeing to one of the few skaters capable of beating him training with his coach. I think it's pretty much a certainty that he and Shoma are both going for Beijing and... I just don't see it working.

Eteri... just doesn't train men as well. Or adults.

Please don't send someone who needs to work on jump technique to Stephane. He makes lovely, expressive skaters that all have major jump issues.

I think Tom Z is more likely than I'd prefer. For all that Vincent's jumps still have issues, they aren't getting called, so... competitively, that's what matters.

Who has he gone to for jump training in the US over the summer in the past? That might be a group to watch.

I'll be curious to see where he lands for sure. I'm honestly still in shock that he's leaving both Mihoko and Japan. He doesn't have a lot of time to figure it out, Challengers start in 3 months.

I read that Shoma went to Mao Asada's ice show few days ago.

One other person who hasnt been discussed is Mao's ex coach, the one who re-tool her jumps.

We keep thinking its non japanese coach, for all we know Shoma's just changing coaches within Japan.

7 minutes ago, river said:

I think Brian would be a good fit coaching-wise (and can you imagine Shoma if Ghislain got to work on his jumps?), but honestly, I don't think his group has room for another elite skater. And for all they appear to get along well, I don't think Yuzu would love the idea of training side-by-side with one of his top rivals. He's just too competitive. It wouldn't be like when Yuzu came to TCC and he and Javi were both rising stars. Yuzu and Shoma are the cream of the crop in men's skating today.

Last year, Boyang Jin was supposed to go over to TCC. Boyang was 4th at 2018 OG. Jason Brown was the late addition.

Shoma could be Boyang's replacement.

Plus this coming season Gogolev has left TCC to train under Rafael.