It's that time of the year - coaching changes 2019/2020

I read a rumour that Lee has taken a job at the Granite Club, another very old private club in Toronto... interesting. They probably want to rebuild their skating program too, so if true, then his skaters will probably go with him... I wonder about Stephen...there are rumours on TSL that he's going to Raf... very interesting. I actually think that's a good move, if true.

Anyway, if all this is true then there might be some openings at TCC for some new students....

8 minutes ago, liv said:

I read a rumour that Lee has taken a job at the Granite Club, another very old private club in Toronto... interesting. They probably want to rebuild their skating program too, so if true, then his skaters will probably go with him... I wonder about Stephen...there are rumours on TSL that he's going to Raf... very interesting. I actually think that's a good move, if true.

Anyway, if all this is true then there might be some openings at TCC for some new students....

Eh? I don't think so. Stephen is still in school.

But if this is true, RIP his ss, tr, posture and probably rotations. Congrats, Canada.

2 minutes ago, Paskud said:

Eh? I don't think so. Stephen is still in school.

But if this is true, RIP his ss, tr, posture and probably rotations. Congrats, Canada.

His SS and posture are not that great imo. Not i expect they will get better with Raf.

If true, it probably means that Lee Barkell worked more with Gogo than Orser.

6 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

It's where Chan trained, right? 

Yes, it was the same club.

12 minutes ago, Yume said:

If true, it probably means that Lee Barkell worked more with Gogo than Orser.

It seemed that Lee worked with Stephen more than Brian this season. On his ISU bio Lee is listed as his coach and Brian his former coach (iirc it was updated before JGPF in December).

10 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

It's where Chan trained, right? 

Yes, he was there. Lots of people have trained there over the years. I think Liz Manley is the skating director there right now... 

I think we saw this year that Stephen left Brian to work with Lee more this season because Brian had to spend more time with Med since she was having trouble coping with the independent style of training... at least that's what I got from interviews with Brian... so now we'll have to see what happens with Stephen... could be that this is a good time to make a change. Sometimes you just need a change if you have been in the same place since you were a wee kiddo.

57 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

I'm enjoying this offseason so much, the feeling of not having to get panic attack watching Yuzu compete or getting injured you dont even know! haha enjoy it while it lasts! 

but im totally down for the idea of having a streaming party! 

--

btw, 

---

TSL is saying Stephen Gogolev left TCC for Raf. Didnt he leave TCC for awhile now? Or did he just not get coached by Brian? If this is true, maybe bc Yuzu is looking to go to Beijing and he didnt want to not be coached as a gold contender for Beijing?

I know he was with Lee Barkell for the last half of the season. And frankly, his results dropped as soon as he left Brian, (went from winning Junior GPF to bombing at Jr World's)  so I dunno if the move was such a great idea. 

TSL is maybe not the most reliable source ever. 

58 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

---

TSL is saying Stephen Gogolev left TCC for Raf. Didnt he leave TCC for awhile now? Or did he just not get coached by Brian? If this is true, maybe bc Yuzu is looking to go to Beijing and he didnt want to not be coached as a gold contender for Beijing?

A bit OT, so... 

Spoiler

But Raf has Nathan who is - as of now - a pretty strong gold contender too, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me if that is the reason :huh: Maybe let's wait to see if that rumor is true? 

6 minutes ago, Veveco said:

A bit OT, so... 

Hide contents

But Raf has Nathan who is - as of now - a pretty strong gold contender too, so it doesn't make a lot of sense to me if that is the reason :huh: Maybe let's wait to see if that rumor is true? 

Spoiler

Agree with you re: waiting. His ISU bio still has Lee Barkell listed as coach. 

7 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I know he was with Lee Barkell for the last half of the season. And frankly, his results dropped as soon as he left Brian, (went from winning Junior GPF to bombing at Jr World's)  so I dunno if the move was such a great idea. 

TSL is maybe not the most reliable source ever. 

i know TSL isnt reliable but i read this so I thought maybe its possible. 

Just now, Veveco said:

A bit OT, so... 

Hide contents

thats true but as far as training goes, Brian has always been more exlusive at coaching Yuzu (along with Javi back then). nathan is doing virtual training with raf now so maybe Stephen could get more time getting coached by raf. and I think he left  Brian last season because rumor has it that his parents wanted someone to coach him more exclusively. 

anyway sorry if this is being discussed in the wrong section. ill end it here! 🙏

26 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

i know TSL isnt reliable but i read this so I thought maybe its possible. 

thats true but as far as training goes, Brian has always been more exlusive at coaching Yuzu (along with Javi back then). nathan is doing virtual training with raf now so maybe Stephen could get more time getting coached by raf. and I think he left  Brian last season because rumor has it that his parents wanted someone to coach him more exclusively. 

anyway sorry if this is being discussed in the wrong section. ill end it here! 🙏

Last comment I'll make: 

Spoiler

Logically speaking, Raf's in California, and as far as I know from what he's said in interviews, Stephen's parents split their time between Toronto and Russia, and Stephen is only 14. It seems at least a little unlikely that he'd go off to California alone this young, especially when there are plenty of other amazing coaches right in and around Toronto he could go to. And would his parents uproot the family to move with him? Just by plain old logic, it seems like a long shot. 

I checked Rocker Skating, and Jackie's got nothing either. 

Brian has his plate full with Yuzuru and Evgenia now as primary coach..and there was Javi before the Olympics as well.

When you have worldclass athletes and champions who have trained with you for years....one cannot expect Brian to prioritize Stephen.