IceWings

2019 Skate Canada - Tickets and Discussion!

Can I ask what airlines you guys are flying to leave Kelowna on Sunday night? I'm checking my options and it seems like my only option is 8pm on that night, which I'm afraid might be a bit close, plus it'll be a red-eye for me which is usually terrible, so I am considering staying one more night and flying the next morning instead.

And is there anyone staying Sunday night?

I’m likely to stay Sunday night at this point. Direct flights out of Vancouver is expensive right now, and the hotels aren’t much cheaper so I think I’ll just leave Monday from Kelowna. 

I am leaving on Monday (flying direct to Toronto) but I haven’t booked my flight yet...:hoping for a sale later...

2 minutes ago, holina said:

I am leaving on Monday (flying direct to Toronto) but I haven’t booked my flight yet...:hoping for a sale later...

Oh, I'm flying Toronto too! Hoping for the price to go down a bit too! 

Sounds like there'll be at least a few of us; so maybe I don't have to eat alone Sunday night. :68556365:

Flying back to Toronto on Monday too. I booked my tickets this morning, I didn't want to have to worry about it anymore :sigh:

Yes!  I am hoping for a sale on Canada Day?  Labour Day?  Thanksgiving sale maybe cutting too close.  I am arriving on Wednesday.

I wonder when will Team Brian and Yuzu arrive and leave coz most likely they will fly Air Canada too?

I am flying out on Monday, directly to Victoria, BC.  A short hop, fortunately, for once...

We should think about getting together for dinner and/or drinks after the Gala on Sunday.

53 minutes ago, katonice said:

Anyone else affected?

I've seen other complaints as well. What is Skate Canada doing?!

6 hours ago, kaeryth said:

Oh geez - I've been lucky so far...no e-mail about this (fingers crossed). That's pretty awful - how can they just do that? :/ 

Side note: Still trying to find a place to stay >< Starting to really lose hope - the prices are crazy for hotels nearby/are sold out :( If anyone would be interested in booking a hotel together or an Airbnb, please pm me! And if you're also planning to drive, if open, I'd be happy to split gas/rental costs as well if I can pop along. 

Edit; As a just in case,  I ended up booking a suite at Recreation Inn & Suits (about a 20 min bus ride from the venue ^^) if anyone's still looking for a place, it has two queen beds + a twin :) 

I'm travelling alone (female) and feeling quite uneasy as it's my first time going to an event/travelling completely solo ahah. . Any tips for a first time solo goer? 

4 minutes ago, piglet said:

Oh geez - I've been lucky so far...no e-mail about this (fingers crossed). That's pretty awful - how can they just do that? :/ 

Side note: Still trying to find a place to stay >< Starting to really lose hope - the prices are crazy for hotels nearby/are sold out :( If anyone would be interested in booking a hotel together or an Airbnb, please pm me! And if you're also planning to drive, if open, I'd be happy to split gas/rental costs as well if I can pop along. 

I'm travelling alone (female) and feeling quite uneasy as it's my first time going to an event/travelling completely solo ahah. I've booked a bed in Samesun for now as a backup but the reviews are a little nerve wracking . Any tips for a first time solo goer? 

Crossing my fingers too. It's ridiculous that I have paid and received a confirmation for a ticket and still fear not having a seat for an event. What are they doing?? :/

My tips for first time travelling solo:

- Give yourself plenty of time. You'll be much calmer if you know you have time to spare (for flights, etc.) than rushing.

- Make sure you get into Kelowna during daylight. Because you don't know the place, you'll feel much better looking for your accommodations in broad daylight. And also less sketched out if you have to stop a stranger for directions during day time.

- You can do some research ahead and Google Map some directions to give yourself a sense of how long it should take to get airport --> accommodations, and/or accommodations --> rink. Some people feel better if they feel at least a little prepared. 

That said, it's Kelowna in Canada. Should be pretty safe. :) Plus, it sounds like there's a lot of us going, so you might only be solo until you find the accommodations (I think a bunch of satellites said earlier in the thread they are staying in Samesun too if you end up there) or Thursday at the latest when we all go to the rink. :68556365:

55 minutes ago, kaeryth said:

Turns out it's affected over 15 people.... There's really no excuse for this. I feel terrible for everyone it's happened to.