IceWings

2019 Skate Canada - Tickets and Discussion!

4 hours ago, NoToMoTo said:

Is there any clue of what the schedule looks like already? There aren't a ton of flight/train time options, so it might cut into some of the competition.

I don't have a huge budget or schedule free from work, plane would be a lot, train takes full work days, driving could be dangerous in unknown Canadian locations that time of year with directionally challenged internetless people, but I definitely want to go in the safest way. Any advice is appreciated, I'm coming from a little over an hour south of Seattle. Thanks!!!

I don’t think the 2019 schedule is out yet, but here’s the 2018 one to get a basic idea: http://www.isuresults.com/schedules/gpcan2018_ColouredTimeSchedule.pdf

It’s likely to be similar - Thursday practice, Friday SP, Saturday FP, Sunday gala.

If you don’t mind missing practice, you can always travel in Thursday? - saves a day of time off work and a night of hotel cost.

Re: transportation - some kind satellites had provided a lot of details about driving from Vancouver some pages back. Maybe check if those make you nervous? There seems to be some conditions about winter tires at that time of the year that you may need to make your rental car company aware of if you choose driving. 

41 minutes ago, Anki said:

Bonjour à tous, je ne pourrais peut-être plus aller au SC, alors je vends les quatre billets en main que j'avais achetés à l'origine pour ma famille. C'est l'article 111, du côté des juges, du côté long, PL2. Préférence à quiconque peut acheter les quatre, mais peut également être vendu séparément, veuillez m'envoyer un message si vous êtes intéressé, merci.   

Which row please ?:67638860:

4 hours ago, Charlène said:

Just a question, because I am anxious about this for a few days : did you received your tickets by email or just the confirmation ?

Because, I have only the confirmation, still no tix...

When I sent an email in april just to be sure, to the website, they told me it was normal, but we'll be soon in july, so I am a little anxious... :14066882:

I have received only the confirmation. I chose the option to receive the tickets by email and print the tickets at home. Although the confirmation notice states that if you choose the print at home option, the tickets will arrive shortly, the person I spoke to on the phone when I ordered these tickets advised me that they would be sent closer to the event. I would not worry about it right now.

7 hours ago, NoToMoTo said:

Yes, please add me to the discussion also, thanks.

I'm really at a conundrum.. Google says  I'm a 6.5 hour drive away (if traffic is amazing crossing the border from my area), we'd have to rent a car, probably about $400+(for 5 days??) to rent for the trip (idk), but I'm concerned about the possible weather which my mom doesn't want to risk driving in. Train is 12 hrs though and $400 + fees for two people both ways. Plane is 1 hr 15 min, but over 1k..

Is there any clue of what the schedule looks like already? There aren't a ton of flight/train time options, so it might cut into some of the competition.

I don't have a huge budget or schedule free from work, plane would be a lot, train takes full work days, driving could be dangerous in unknown Canadian locations that time of year with directionally challenged internetless people, but I definitely want to go in the safest way. Any advice is appreciated, I'm coming from a little over an hour south of Seattle. Thanks!!!

This is what I posted earlier regarding the Coquihalla Highway which is the route that you would take to Kelowna.

I am told by a friend who regularly drives to Kelowna from Vancouver that late October is just on the cusp of there being a chance of snow on the Coquihalla Highway. On the other hand, he says that there is a good chance that we could get really nice fall weather for the drive. In any event, I get the impression that even if there is some snow, it should not be a problem if you are using M+S rated all weather tires. People often confuse "all season" tires for "all weather" tires. "All season" tires are the tires on that most cars come equipped with when they are sold at the car dealership. They are generally good for all seasons, including light snow, but not really for true winter conditions. British Columbia law requires that cars using the coquihalla highway after October 1 be equipped with at least M+S rated all weather tires or true winter snow tires. During certain conditions, you may also be required to carry chains in your vehicle. I am planning to carry chains in the vehicle in case it's a requirement.

As I indicated in my earlier post, we have never driven to Kelowna during the fall or winter, but plan to do so for Skate Canada. We are not anticipating any problems. My vehicle is a Toyota Sienna van. It is not equipped with four-wheel-drive.

Having your own vehicle in Kelowna would be most convenient obviously. If you are driving your own vehicle and it does not have winter tires or tires that are rated M+S and you normally get through winter in your location with regular "all season" tires, the cost of purchasing winter tires will have to be taken into account when deciding what makes economic sense for you.

If you are staying at AirBnB or motel/hotel in Kelowna, you might want to call and ask the host what the weather conditions are in Kelowna in the latter part of October and the condition of the Coquihalla Highway. I think they would know best.

Hope this helps. Good luck and I look forward to seeing you in Kelowna whichever way you decide to get there!

On 6/21/2019 at 4:15 PM, Geo1 said:

Hi @kiches,

We live in Vancouver and plan to drive to Kelowna.

I have only driven to Kelowna in the summer. In order to get to Kelowna from Vancouver, you have to drive on the Coquihalla Highway which is the highway that was featured in the TV reality series, "Highway Thru Hell". In wintertime it is brutal. It goes over mountains.

I do not know what the conditions are during late October. From October 1 you are required to have winter tires or true all weather tires with a "M+S" rating in order to drive on the Coquihalla Highway (and most other highways in British Columbia). You cannot drive with "all season" tires which is what most cars are equipped with when they are sold new. "All season" tires are good for spring, summer and fall, but not really snow tires.

From what I have heard and read, snow is not the norm on the Coquihalla in October. Having said that, however, people say that the conditions can change without any warning and that there may be snow in the higher elevations.

I think that if your vehicle is equipped with true winter tires (snow tires) and you drive carefully, you should have no problem getting to Kelowna and back to Vancouver during that time of year.

The Coquihalla is a wide highway and people tend to speed because it is easy to drive on when the weather is good. Even in good weather in the summertime, there have been a lot of accidents when people that are not familiar with the highway drive too fast and come upon a curve in the road without heeding warning signs to slow down. I know because I used to practice personal injury law and many of my clients were passengers in vehicles that lost control on this highway.

Having said all that, I do not want to discourage you from driving from Vancouver to Kelowna. We have never done it at that time of year and intend to do so. It is so much more convenient having a vehicle. Just make sure that when you are renting a vehicle that it is equipped with winter tires, not just "all season" tires. Make sure you tell them that you are planning to drive on the Coquihalla Highway so that they are aware that you require winter tires on the vehicle.

I have a friend that I have not seen for quite a while who travels regularly to Kelowna in all seasons and I have sent him an email asking him what the road conditions are likely going to be in late October. If I get a response, I will let you know.

Edit: 

My current thinking is that there will be no snow on the Coquihalla Highway at that time. Historically, the normal temperature in October on the Coquihalla is 6.6°C. The warmest temperature in October is 13.4°C and the coldest in October is -0.2°C. I'm taking some comfort in the statistics which indicate that even the coldest temperature is not that cold. There is probably a very good chance that we get beautiful fall weather on the highway at that time.

The weather in Vancouver is mild. Even in winter we don't get much snow. Kelowna is in the interior of British Columbia and gets a lot more snow, but I think that the chances of snow in Kelowna in late October is low.

I asked my Airbnb host who has bikes available to lend me which I am planning to use to go to Prospera place.  She said that during that it will likely be “cool but not snow” and so biking will probably still be fine. (My Airbnb is about 25 minutes walk or 10 min biking to Prospera place).

IMO driving from Seattle to Kelowna may be a bit much if you are not used to driving and have no internet service!

I would always prefer the safer option.  Money can always be earned but not health.

Snow came early last year for us in Alberta.  BC is usually warmer.

Since Yuzu is set to attend Skate Canada, I would bite the bullet for a train or plane.

in reference to transportation: my fear would be trying to get a taxi after ACI ends.  

Since I fly out on Sunday, I would rather rent a car and drive to the airport myself

On 6/29/2019 at 10:28 PM, holina said:

I am debating whether I should get flight tickets now or wait till later, since both Air Canada and WestJet are having a Canada Day sale.  Any suggestions?  Anyone else struggling with this too?

I have to hold off on buying my air tickets until I pay another bill, but I'm an Aeroplan member, so unless there's a compelling reason for me to buy WestJet, I'll be flying good ol' AC. 

no reason except that Westjet tends to be on time more than Air Canada which is almost always late for flight in the afternoon-evening

4 hours ago, NILI N said:

no uber in kelonwa?

No Uber in BC. The province outlawed it.

1 minute ago, Dreamer said:

no reason except that Westjet tends to be on time more than Air Canada which is almost always late for flight in the afternoon-evening

Yes, but if the ticket prices are the same, I can handle a little flight delay for the points

if you get basic economy which is totally nonrefundable or changeable...there are no points: sadly true for both Westjet and AC

Yes I am thinking of the same because basic economy fare have no points awarded....the WestJet direct flight going from Toronto to Kelowna does leave a little bit later (09:00) than Air Canada (08:15)  so I would prefer the WestJet one.  For leaving Kelowna though I think the Air Canada one has a better time (11:50) since the WestJet one leaves really early (07:15)!  I already booked the 11:50 one using my Aeroplan points, so just thinking about the “to” flight....I am a bit hesitant to book so early as I am not 100% sure if I will still go if god forbid Yuzu gets injured or something during practice between now and then (I know I should not be thinking negative thoughts though...) 

1 hour ago, Dreamer said:

I agree with you.  I have started taking AC and Westjet regularly since I moved to Saanich (north of Victoria BC) this year, and I faced more delays with AC than with Westjet.  Not a statistically robust conclusion but it comports with Dreamer's experience.  Now I avoid AC even though I signed up for Aeroplan...