IceWings

2019 Skate Canada - Tickets and Discussion!

1 hour ago, katonice said:

Anyone else affected?

Gosh, I am also in section 113 Row L but so far I have not received any notification.  Perhaps my seat is far enough back that it won't be affected by all the shenanigans.  Shame on Skate Canada/ Select Your Tickets!  

I wouldn't be surprised if Skate Canada after hitting the jackpot with Hanyu turned around and sold a large amount of tickets to Japanese tour groups that prefer to be seated in one section  and moved people out of the way for that purpose. Totally no shame, but they already had no shame for Worlds. 

We are also in section 113, but the wheelchair section is way up in row V which is the second from last row!

I don't think we have anything to worry about. If they moved us any further back, we'd be in the concourse or outside the building.

I do feel really sorry for those people who fought for their tickets in the presale only to be treated so badly by Skate Canada/Select Your Tickets. It sounds like Skate Canada/Select Your Tickets are accommodating a tour group – probably from Japan? Unthinkable!

It’s totally ridiculous that Skate Canada is moving people’s already purchased seats without proper reasoning and/or provide compensation (assuming the seats further back are the same price?). At least offer a coupon for a free meal or something!  If they are using those seats for a tour then I am sure they are making much more money from those seats.  

Tips for solo travel: print out your flight tickets, hotel /Airbnb reservation and address, event tickets in advance in case for some reason you cannot use your phone (battery died, dropped phone, SIM card not working, no Wifi, etc...).  I use google maps for public transport routes and schedules but perhaps your accommodation (when you get one) may be walkable to the venue.  I booked an Airbnb about 20-25 minutes walk from the venue.  It’s a loft with one bed only so I can’t share....The host offers to lend me a bike too but I am not sure if the weather will still be okay for biking by then?  I have read that Kelowna is a very bike-friendly city.

I know of a friend who got their seat moved in Skate Canada 2016, but the reason they gave then was because the view was partially blocked and the seats they offered in exchange were comparable. I do think the tour reason is absolutely unreasonable and definitely sounds fishy. Either way they shouldn't have sold seats they couldn't offer or were already reserved. If those seats actually end up filled and not "blocked", it really does suck. they've had these tickets on sale for a long time now, they could've known sooner.

4 hours ago, katonice said:

Anyone else affected?

I am aghast.

That is called a "Bait and switch" scam.

Sell one thing, but deliver something else.

I don't know about Canada, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal in most countries?

How are they allowed to take something that they already sold, and is no longer theirs... and sell it AGAIN to somebody else?!

1 hour ago, YesWay said:

I am aghast.

That is called a "Bait and switch" scam.

Sell one thing, but deliver something else.

I don't know about Canada, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal in most countries?

How are they allowed to take something that they already sold, and is no longer theirs... and sell it AGAIN to somebody else?!

The legal maxim is: "Nemo dat quod non habet" which means that a person who does not own the property cannot confer it on another except with the authority of the true owner. In other words, Skate Canada/Select Your Tickets no longer owns the ticket since they sold it to the original ticketholder and cannot pass the good title to another without the consent of the original ticketholder.

I wonder if the tickets that they handed out have some sort of clause permitting them to arbitrarily change seats on people who have purchased the tickets.

In any case, it's disgusting. I never thought that Skate Canada would stoop so low. It may be Select Your Tickets that decided to do this, but Skate Canada should ultimately be in control and be able to override the ticket agency. What is the value of a presale ticket when they can arbitrarily do this to you?

People took a risk buying tickets early so they can get good seats. It's so unfair to take those seats and give them to other people who waited until Yuzu was actually assigned to SCI. And it's outrageous that Skate Canada do not even offer compensation to the people that were moved. They should at the minimum give them a discount for the seats further back, esp since they're probably making a bunch of money from that tour.

Who is behind this though? Is it Skate Canada? Or is it the ticket company? Or the venue? Or all of them?

It's not clear to me...

And which "tour" is it?

58 minutes ago, YesWay said:

Who is behind this though? Is it Skate Canada? Or is it the ticket company? Or the venue? Or all of them?

It's not clear to me...

And which "tour" is it?

There is a whole industry in Japan now in organizing tour groups to Hanyu competition including flight, accommodation, transport to venue and additional holiday around that country too. Most Japanese house wife would have limited foreign  language abilities and let everything organised by a tour company, who would guarantee them the best seats and buy such seats in bulk from the organisers. Hence why some of the best seats are never available when the tickets go on sale.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:03 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

Anyone interested in doing some sightseeing while we're all in Kelowna? It's in the Okanagan Valley, which is B.C. wine country, so seeing a vineyard is a possibility...I'd be happy to organize if anyone's interested and/or has the time. Obviously this would not be on a competition day. 

i would

I actually wouldn’t be surprised if this was the real reason, this is why I’m usually cautious about sitting right next to or above the kiss and cry. As I mentioned my friend who went to Skate Canada in 2016 had to change seats and she was seated above the kiss and cry too. They just made big mistakes by “figuring” this out after the GP assignments came out and Select Your Seat having pretty horrible customer service, and I’m guessing service reps that are not adept at communicating in English (the tweets showed a lot of grammar errors). 

In the case of 2016 my friend wasn’t contacted/notified until much later (same month) as the actual event! But her original seats were in fact blocked by a wooden structure. 

Edited to add:

Looking at the tweet with the rows of seats being displaced it is nearly exactly where my friends seats in 2016 we’re located in Mississauga. They should’ve known this area had a high probably of being blocked and not released those seats to sell to begin with until they could verify what their set up was. Sad they didn’t learn their lesson. 

I'd be willing to believe them, but they should offer some sort of compensation to the people affected. :yznotimpressed:

1 hour ago, Veveco said:

I'd be willing to believe them, but they should offer some sort of compensation to the people affected. :yznotimpressed:

Yeah I agree, at this point they’re forced to relocate after purchasing during a PRESALE! The least they can do is refund them/give a discount on any new seat they have to take.