sallycinnamon

[2019] World Team Trophy (11-14.04)

22 minutes ago, caterpillar said:

?

Because a 45 cm high quad is tiny, but an equally high 2A is quite massive? 

I'm not sure what you're saying exactly? That we should take the average height of all jumps in the field to make decisions about GOE? A tiny quad would simply get 0 goe.

I don't disagree that Sakamoto jumps high and long. But there are bigger jumpers out there even currently, and historically her jumps aren't the biggest there could be either, nor does her 3S have a particularly difficult entry, nor is her 3Lo done on a particularly straight axis. These ARE jump qualities that need to be considered. What will come of the people who can execute better jumps than her if we're already calling hers perfect? Her best 2As, 3Lo, or 3S would probably get +4 from me though.

4 minutes ago, Yume said:

Hugh?! I thought France would finish last.

A first place gives a lot of points, they have Papadakis and Cizeron. And they're 2nd in Pairs SP and 1st in Pairs FS so their ranking makes sense to me.

6 minutes ago, Yume said:

Liza showed that she was world medal worthy too. Nice that despite the fact that fed robbed her, she didn't lose her motivation. A fighter.

Can we please not start it all over again? 

Liza skated here very well here and she's really a fighter, but we don't know what would have happened had she skated at Worlds. What happened, happened and I am happy that she was able to finish this season successfully.

My conclusion from this event: I don't care about points anymore. My eyes are still sharp enough to judge performances and placements on my own. My only motivation to continue watching this madness is a little group of skaters who really grew to my heart and I want to see their magical skating as long as they decide to stay competitive.

3 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Liza skated here very well here and she's really a fighter, but we don't know what would have happened had she skated at Worlds. What happened, happened and I am happy that she was able to finish this season successfully.

I just wrote that she was worlds medal worthy, not that she would have won one.

hace 1 minuto , sallycinnamon said:

Liza skated here very well here and she's really a fighter, but we don't know what would have happened had she skated at Worlds. What happened, happened and I am happy that she was able to finish this season successfully.

:iagree: yes please. 

26 minutes ago, Yume said:

Not a bad idea. Why JSF should be the one to use her money every year for that kind of shit?

Hugh?! I thought France would finish last.

The fact that they spend money but not japanese skaters get the huge score is a bigger problem. Not that I support overscoring, but you would have thought this is US Nationals. 

15 minutes ago, sallycinnamon said:

Huh, I find @Yume post is ok, she didn't shade anyone. Its true that Liza show that she is a world medal contender atm given the skate today and her overall season, there's nothing with that.  

hace 3 minutos , Henni147 said:

My conclusion from this event: I don't care about points anymore. My eyes are still sharp enough to judge performances and placements on my own. My only motivation to continue watching this madness is a little group of skaters who really grew to my heart and I want to see their magical skating as long as they decide to stay competitive.

I wish I could say the same!!!!:dontdothistome: but the problem is that the skaters competing (specially the younger ones) have to care about the points and placements...I somehow wish after one year following FS closely, I would have stayed in my former ignorance regarding rules and scoring system...:dpooh: just appreciating the beauty regardless scores...stupid scores...:13877886:

hace 6 minutos , Katt said:

Huh, I find @Yume post is ok, she didn't shade anyone. Its true that Liza show that Liza is a world medal contender atm given the skate today and her overall season, there's nothing with that.  

@Yume  I didn't mean your comment was inappropriate, I just saw potential to start the discussion about "ifs" again. :81:

7 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Why?

The term "very good" implies a "good" an "average" and tbh I can't think of a more legit way to establish  an average not dependent of one's whim (otherwise one could say height 1m is average and everything below is poor height) than to estimate the "average height and distance" skaters get on jumps. That's if one wants to have some reproducible standard. And since it looks like, on average, certain jumps get more lift than others,* it makes sense to compare within same type.  

(*tho probably more hard data would be needed to back up the claim)

Spoiler

I'm thinking on the reverse, if things like good landing should correlate with the type of jump, too (and justify low quality landings on e.g. quads being scored more leniently) but imo amplitude and landings have a very different degree of correlation with the type of take off, so imo a good landing should look good regardless of type of jump.

Tho I should probably think about this a bit more :laughing:

Rika 5th...and Kaori 3rd...:squishedPooh:

Not much of a revenge from WC, but both ladies have been so good this season (and Kaori improved her SB? Tho it feels so wrong her SB is 4 points worse than Bradie's now...Even with lower bv...)

I hope to see them raise more

Well, I guess at least not too much feeling like "if only I had skated like this 3 weeks ago" for Rika...

Come back stronger and maybe slip some comp here and there to get some rest bb

and well team US won and who's surpised... congrats, I suppose. Well, no pop and only one fall for their men and ladies...I guess if I looks at things this way, ignoring calls, goe and pcs, it makes sense:sigh: 

I feel so down...and Yuzu’s not even skating

strangely, the only skater I like from team USA (and I mean personality wise) is Nathan...

7 minutes ago, LadyLou said:

The term "very good" implies a "good" an "average" and tbh I can't think of a more legit way to establish  an average not dependent of one's whim (otherwise one could say height 1m is average and everything below is poor height) than to estimate the "average height and distance" skaters get on jumps.

Historically? Based off the current field? Sakamoto's jumps aren't "very good" level based on historical data, nor are her jumps the biggest currently, as far as I can tell. She does have generally better overall jump quality than most current skaters though.

That person literally just brought up the example of a small quad to compare, too. Makes absolutely no sense.

This ignores the question I posed, too. If a "very good" jump gets +5, it means we're equating it to a best ever, essentially perfect jump which would get +5, too. Logical?

3 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

If a "very good" jump gets +5, it means we're equating it to a best ever, essentially perfect jump which would get +5, too. Logical?

I don't think +5 means "best ever" just like getting a 100 on a test doesn't mean you know the subject perfectly. 

It just means you meet enough bullet points per the rules to get a +5.

Just now, SparkleSalad said:

Maybe better suited to the general skating thread?

probably, sorry!