Yuzu (Post-Saitama) Cheer Project

4Nessie

I think he'd love the statistics part! Sounds like a great idea :D

8 hours ago, Salior said:

Yep I wholly agree with the humour part. I'm sure he's had a lot of supportive messages, but those aren't really something you'd read when you're sad or down, at least from my personal experience - it just adds to the frustration that you've disappointed those who've had expectations on you, or those who had an image of you that you never really were in the first place. So something lighthearted, like a welcome distraction will be nice

Maybe sticking to the "If it wasn't for Yuzu i'd never..." theme, instead of sending words of support or encouragement. That way we can convey how he's touched our lives, how he has affected people from every corner of the world without putting more pressure or expectations on him. And yeah, memes and funny things sound good to me too :D 

And we can "show off" the presents we've made to take to competitions, explaining how it helps us connect with other fans regardless of language and even distance.

More than a support book i think it would be better if it was a "thank you" book, so he can see how much he's inspired us.

8 minutes ago, Hydroblade said:

I think he'd love the statistics part! Sounds like a great idea :D

Maybe sticking to the "If it wasn't for Yuzu i'd never..." theme, instead of sending words of support or encouragement. That way we can convey how he's touched our lives, how he has affected people from every corner of the world without putting more pressure or expectations on him. And yeah, memes and funny things sound good to me too :D 

And we can "show off" the presents we've made to take to competitions, explaining how it helps us connect with other fans regardless of language and even distance.

More than a support book i think it would be better if it was a "thank you" book, so he can see how much he's inspired us.

I very much think we need to include the "thank you for your hard work!"  sentiment, for two reasons: 1. It's a part of Japanese culture to say exactly that to your co-workers at the end of every day, so it'll resonate with Yuzu; and 2. he absolutely deserves the gratitude. 

I know we're planning to include it anyway, but I just want to emphasize how important I think it is.

8 hours ago, 4Nessie said:

So we could do something like this:

First part:

• Statistics (where are we from, favorite program, "discovery of Hanyu",...) 
  • Graphs
  • Map with coloured countries 

Themed part:

• Fanart (I would refrain from using too much of Yuzu art though,  as he said he feel strange looking at those) 
  • Memes (he would surely love some of those - and I insist on that Yagudin treasure)  
  • "Shitty-taken pictures" 
  • Messages (but keep it short)

We can modify or add anything, I just needs to do something like a summary.

We can then separate some themes into "timeline" sections, why not, but I wouldn't do it for the whole book because it could be limiting for the content itself. So maybe memes and pictures...

I am not trying to "lead" the project, so that is just my opinion summarized.

Edit: oh, and I forgot the "If it wasn't for Yuzuru..." part. That's a must!  :68468287:

I like the idea of having sections rather than a page per person because 1) otherwise it could feel a bit like a high school yearbook ;) and 2) some people might want to participate in a given theme (for instance only show a picture of something they crafted and threw on the ice, or only a "if it wasn't for Yuzu..." quote) but not necessarily fill an entire page with all the different parts. In other words, it gives more freedom to whoever wants to participate as they can choose how much they want to share.

...I am following this thread highly motivated and am already thinking what to do or write😊😊.

Somehow I am waiting for the green light to „go“ — I am sorry I am not more helpful! 

Just now, my two cents: I really go with the idea of expressing my thanks, and I never knew he might be interested to know since when people knew about  him or liked his skating..really good ideas! 

And today I can add that without him I would never have sent my first tweet ever — went over to the mentioned hashtag:LOL:.

But there are many things I would not have  experienced without him, and I am really looking forward, what form  our project will finally take.

I love the easy to browse foto— and textbook idea, and I also love the thought to send as a physical aside a spiral book to take notes in. 

😊

Not to derail the discussion about the book, but I want to bring the charity donation idea back up too because I think that's such a great idea and something unique that Yuzu would really appreciate, and it's something that can be done in addition to a book or any other gifts. So the first and biggest question is...where should the donation go?

57 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

Not to derail the discussion about the book, but I want to bring the charity donation idea back up too because I think that's such a great idea and something unique that Yuzu would really appreciate, and it's something that can be done in addition to a book or any other gifts. So the first and biggest question is...where should the donation go?

I hope that idea is still staying with us. :68468287:

Personaly, I think this is the most we can give him. And I don't really know, how many possibilities are there or how to process it, but I think, what would mean for him the most, would be something in Miyagi / Sendai region... 

:winky:

Anyone any ideas or experience?

1 hour ago, Vulnavia said:

I think If we want to donate something then I should be to a place that is connected to Yuzu like the ice rink in Sendai or the Desaster area 

Doing a bit of research on possible charities that we might want to support (as an alternative to a material gift to Yuzuru), if we are being serious about the idea. On the assumption that (1) it has to be on a 100% voluntary base (people could contribute to the "book" and not give money and vice versa) and (2) we want something related to Yuzuru so most likely "disaster relief" or "sport/FS" in Tohoku (or more broadly Japan).

As far as disaster relief goes, a lot of foundations (both Japanese and international ones) have stopped focusing on Tohoku in favor of other causes after 2014 or 2015. So, this is what I found (under spoiler because of length). It's a starting list, I'm sure a Japanese speaker for instance could find additional (and probably more local) options. Also, if anybody has an opinion on these organizations, it's obviously very welcome since I am mostly relying on their website/SNS information.

Spoiler

In no particular order:

• Japan Red Cross Societyhttp://www.jrc.or.jp/english/ Why? One of the major actors of disaster relief in Japan, currently acting to help the areas of Okayama prefecture and Hiroshima prefecture (floods & landslides in 2018) and Hokkaido (2018 earthquake). I am certain that most people are familiar with the crucial role of the Red Cross, not just in Japan. Pros: Very-well established & trust-worthy society. Easy to make donation. Information available both in Japanese & English on their website. Cons: More generic (understand: less directly Yuzuru-related)
  • Apricot Childrenhttps://apricotchildren.org/ Why? Ongoing effort to support mental health for people affected by the Tohoku earthquake (as well as other disasters in Japan). They work with local mental health professionals to treat depression, PTSD and other mental illnesses of survivors and their families. Worth mentioning: Jason Stinton has been hand-cycling (!) all across Japan (south -> north, ~3000km), starting on 3/11, to promote their action. He's in Hokkaido right now so only a couple days left. You can follow his adventures here: https://www.facebook.com/outspire.org/   Pros: Long-term action in Tohoku. The mental aspect is an interesting "twist" and too often overlooked. Easy link for donation on the website and information in Japanese & English. Cons: not as well-known NPO (unless some favor a smaller organization vs a "giant"?), less detailed reports of the exact actions/spending (although they seem legit as far as I can judge).
  • Blue for Japan. http://blueforjapan.com/english.html Why? Japanese NPO created by various retail shop & restaurant owners across Japan to support orphans of the Tohoku disaster. Their main focus is on education and care. Pros: Japan-based organization, focused on helping children. Given their business background, they appear to be very well organized in terms of fund-raising. Focus on education. Cons: Limited information in English (since it's a purely Japanese NPO), although nothing that can't be countered with a good online translator. No direct link for donation on their website, but, if my translator is not lying to me, the necessary information should be at the bottom of this page: http://blueforjapan.com/member.html
  • Playground for Hope. https://poh.ngo/en/  Why? The original focus was to rebuild children playgrounds around Tohoku in order to promote and stabilize the social aspect of life in affected regions, but they have expended their activities to other regions since, for instance the regions affected by the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake. Pros: They have been directly active in Tohoku. Focus on children. Information available in Japanese & English. Easy donation link (and you can chose which type of project to support). Cons: Not sure if they are still active in Tohoku right now? (if that is a main concern) Like Apricot and Blue for Japan, it is a more recent and thus less well-established organization (compared to the Red Cross), but as far as I can tell, they seem legit as well.

As far as sports & FS go... hum, sorry not many options from my disappointing research. Very difficult for me to find any serious foundation or NPO so I welcome any input :13877886:

Spoiler
  • The obvious option would be Sendai Ice Rink. https://icerink-sendai.net/ Why: I won't insult anybody's intelligence by developing this. Pros: Well. Yuzuru Hanyu. Figure skating. Sendai. Enough said. Cons: No information in English (not unexpected, and translating app really are life-savors). No straightforward way to make a donation (which makes sense since it is not a foundation... but an ice-rink). So I assume that we would need to contact them directly (and probably in Japanese) to figure out how to proceed.
  • I was hoping to find a cause along the lines of "supporting sports for children" or "promoting FS for kids" (that seems like the sort of causes that Yuzuru would approve of) but I couldn't find anything truly relevant. I think a Japanese satellite (or one familiar with Japan) would have to step up here to provide better information if we want this kind of theme. Sorry - I really tried. :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:

9 minutes ago, Veveco said:

Doing a bit of research on possible charities that we might want to support (as an alternative to a material gift to Yuzuru), if we are being serious about the idea. On the assumption that (1) it has to be on a 100% voluntary base (people could contribute to the "book" and not give money and vice versa) and (2) we want something related to Yuzuru so most likely "disaster relief" or "sport/FS" in Tohoku (or more broadly Japan).

As far as disaster relief goes, a lot of foundations (both Japanese and international ones) have stopped focusing on Tohoku in favor of other causes after 2014 or 2015. So, this is what I found (under spoiler because of length). It's a starting list, I'm sure a Japanese speaker for instance could find additional (and probably more local) options. Also, if anybody has an opinion on these organizations, it's obviously very welcome since I am mostly relying on their website/SNS information.

Hide contents

In no particular order:

• Japan Red Cross Societyhttp://www.jrc.or.jp/english/ Why? One of the major actors of disaster relief in Japan, currently acting to help the areas of Okayama prefecture and Hiroshima prefecture (floods & landslides in 2018) and Hokkaido (2018 earthquake). I am certain that most people are familiar with the crucial role of the Red Cross, not just in Japan. Pros: Very-well established & trust-worthy society. Easy to make donation. Information available both in Japanese & English on their website. Cons: More generic (understand: less directly Yuzuru-related)
  • Apricot Childrenhttps://apricotchildren.org/ Why? Ongoing effort to support mental health for people affected by the Tohoku earthquake (as well as other disasters in Japan). They work with local mental health professionals to treat depression, PTSD and other mental illnesses of survivors and their families. Worth mentioning: Jason Stinton has been hand-cycling (!) all across Japan (south -> north, ~3000km), starting on 3/11, to promote their action. He's in Hokkaido right now so only a couple days left. You can follow his adventures here: https://www.facebook.com/outspire.org/   Pros: Long-term action in Tohoku. The mental aspect is an interesting "twist" and too often overlooked. Easy link for donation on the website and information in Japanese & English. Cons: not as well-known NPO (unless some favor a smaller organization vs a "giant"?), less detailed reports of the exact actions/spending (although they seem legit as far as I can judge).
  • Blue for Japan. http://blueforjapan.com/english.html Why? Japanese NPO created by various retail shop & restaurant owners across Japan to support orphans of the Tohoku disaster. Their main focus is on education and care. Pros: Japan-based organization, focused on helping children. Given their business background, they appear to be very well organized in terms of fund-raising. Focus on education. Cons: Limited information in English (since it's a purely Japanese NPO), although nothing that can't be countered with a good online translator. No direct link for donation on their website, but, if my translator is not lying to me, the necessary information should be at the bottom of this page: http://blueforjapan.com/member.html
  • Playground for Hope. https://poh.ngo/en/  Why? The original focus was to rebuild children playgrounds around Tohoku in order to promote and stabilize the social aspect of life in affected regions, but they have expended their activities to other regions since, for instance the regions affected by the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake. Pros: They have been directly active in Tohoku. Focus on children. Information available in Japanese & English. Easy donation link (and you can chose which type of project to support). Cons: Not sure if they are still active in Tohoku right now? (if that is a main concern) Like Apricot and Blue for Japan, it is a more recent and thus less well-established organization (compared to the Red Cross), but as far as I can tell, they seem legit as well.

As far as sports & FS go... hum, sorry not many options from my disappointing research. Very difficult for me to find any serious foundation or NPO so I welcome any input :13877886:

Hide contents
  • The obvious option would be Sendai Ice Rink. https://icerink-sendai.net/ Why: I won't insult anybody's intelligence by developing this. Pros: Well. Yuzuru Hanyu. Figure skating. Sendai. Enough said. Cons: No information in English (not unexpected, and translating app really are life-savors). No straightforward way to make a donation (which makes sense since it is not a foundation... but an ice-rink). So I assume that we would need to contact them directly (and probably in Japanese) to figure out how to proceed.
  • I was hoping to find a cause along the lines of "supporting sports for children" or "promoting FS for kids" (that seems like the sort of causes that Yuzuru would approve of) but I couldn't find anything truly relevant. I think a Japanese satellite (or one familiar with Japan) would have to step up here to provide better information if we want this kind of theme. Sorry - I really tried. :tumblr_inline_mn41rkfu9v1qz4rgp:

:worship:

You are the best! 

My pick would so far be Sendai Ice Rink, because - "Yuzu" - obviously, or Apricot Children, because I love that idea (but of course, only in case they are legit).

12 hours ago, Veveco said:

Hide contents

In no particular order:

Reveal hidden contents

If this going to be a thing, I favor the Red Cross, just because it's a known entity. They're also the ones most likely to be able to handle donations from outside Japan.

The Red Cross actually doesn't have the best track record in recent years when it comes to using donations appropriately, but that may be a somewhat regional thing and the Japanese Red Cross Society may have a better track record. But we can look into it further, and it looks like @Veveco has given us a bunch of promising options to consider. I'm looking at Playground for Hope now and this could be a good fit. The idea of children in disaster areas and other crisis situations losing access to places for play reminds me of Yuzu's interviews about how hard it was to lose his rink after the earthquake. 

8 minutes ago, Vulnavia said:

The Red Cross actually doesn't have the best track record in recent years when it comes to using donations appropriately, but that may be a somewhat regional thing and the Japanese Red Cross Society may have a better track record. But we can look into it further, and it looks like @Veveco has given us a bunch of promising options to consider. I'm looking at Playground for Hope now and this could be a good fit. The idea of children in disaster areas and other crisis situations losing access to places for play reminds me of Yuzu's interviews about how hard it was to lose his rink after the earthquake. 

I like the Playground For Hope idea... You're totally right, it reminds me of when Yuzu lost his rink for a while back in 2011.