2019/2020 Season Program Announcements

15 hours ago, liv said:

What about the original Origin from ACI? He had a few leaps in there that he took out... and be it from the front or the back entry, it's still a leap that looks similar to me.

Rewatching it the part that I can think of this one at 5:10.   But I don't think it's a big deal, choreographers do have almost their 'signature' movements sometimes, as long as it's not on most of the programs and each of them have a clear different vision then I think it's ok.  I guess let's wait until we see the full programs she comes up to see if there's a big pattern or not. 

15 hours ago, mercedes said:

I wonder if this influx of SLB choreographies is a direct result of her success with working with Yuzuru and if so is it the same for Jeffrey? like Yuzuru's fame brought her name up front maybe?Although she has worked a lot already before him so she's not exactly a newcomer.

Like others here I also feel that the reason skaters flocked to her was because of the SPs she did for Nathan.  I thought it was great choreography specially Nemesis since I'm not a big fan of the style of Caravan, but Caravan was also successful for most. Everyone wants a formula of success since they managed to find a style he can work with.  I wish he could recreate Nemesis in a few years so we could see the full potential of it.  Yuzuru's programs with her were successful also, but a lot of the credit somehow ended up going to him more than anything. Only SEIMEI choreo overall was praised to the high heavens, but his involvement also was made clear.  H&L is genius in my opinion but the choreo wasn't appreciated as much , neither was Origin.  But does anyone know if there's a possible reason why they seem to be going to Benoit?

Re: Sofia

It looks like we have another Roxanne :biggrin: And the sp...  they'll probably rely mostly on her ability to sell a performance... not really fond of that.

Re: Alina's sp

Not the change I wanted to see, I hoped she could have something more modern&upbeat and made her be more her age for a change... but glad it isn't warhorse. I can't really envision a program on that music so I'm very curious. And at least there isn't much to worry about for the music cut... I guess? :tumblr_inline_n2pjd43gf91qdlkyg:

For the fs, I have my reservations about using unrelated music to portray an iconic character, but I like the pieces...

Re: Mai's fs

One of the pieces of her fs sounds lovely but also very quiet, curious to see what Lori will do but high chances I'm gonna like it :tumblr_inline_n0o1ffHUs91qid2nw:

Re: Kaori's fs

Wow I was surprised but somehow I can really see it working. The evolution of shinobi girl into a brooding leather-clad rebel? 😅  

Re: Alyona's twilight

I don't like the ex version, plus, that wasn't Bella, that looked like Dracula's daughter 😱

If they wanted to use Supermassive black hole, they could just use it. The song existed before the movies. 

Well, hopefully it will get better. If they wanted to go for dark&edgy, IMO they lost a HUGE opportunity giving Danse Macabre to Lilbet instead of Alyona... or heck, for a badass Young Adult blockbuster character there was Katniss... why Bella? She was a very ordinary teen without any sense of self preservation (or basic common sense... and author making her kinda powerful in the last book was just the random level up main characters always get in lazy plots... and with this I ruin myself socially, admitting that yes, I've read all the books 🤣)

Re: everyone going to two choreographers

Y'all forgetting Wakabs's iconic Skyfall as reason for upsurge in the popularity of Shae's choreo :waffle:

I think the combo of Nemesis + Skyfall felt "fresh" and it looked like Shae could "get" different skaters and showcase their strengths (or hide their flaws). Add her inclusive and friendly approach when doing choreo and I can see why one would want to work with her. And she even made work Jun's crazy (iconic) RJ😁  and ngl, I'm more hopeful knowing she is the one making choreo for Zhenya's FS instead of DW...:tumblr_inline_mg16f1RxCn1qdlkyg:

As for Benoit, Kaori has being conquering hearts left and right and it's likely his choreo is seen as part of the reason for her rise despite her being "unrefined" (well a commie had worse words). well Amelie made me take note of her, she had such an unusual distribution of elements and after the awkward miming it really became memorable, and I utterly loved The piano, so at least for Kaori Benoit works amazingly. 

So IMO what people/skaters see in both Shae and Benoit is that they can take someone and made them look "more appealing" to judges and audience...also, they can take "modern" and make it good.

idk why other choreographers didn't benefit in the same way from choreographing winning programs tho (sometimes I jokingly wonder if Zu having too insane stsq for SP actually scares people away from poor Jeff lol well tbh I liked what he tried to do for Vincent). Some other choreographers are 'accused' of making more 'generic' stuff... or maybe they are thought to be more suited to more "traditional" programs...

But with all the work Shae and Benoit have, it will be more likely some of their programs will feel "generic" too. Caravan already didn't felt 'fresh' and it's telling that Nate always picked Nemesis as crowd-pleaser, despite Caravan music being great to make people clap and cheer. Well, Wakaba didn't have many chances to skate her new SLB programs (and she was injured), so maybe they would have looked better with more time (Energia had its appeal and Wakaba has lots of innate charisma anyway)

In Benoit's choreo for Boyang, I already have a feeling of yes, I can see Benoit's hand. It can still be good, but it starts losing originality.

Everyone wants to try what has worked well with judges/audience, but for how much a choreographer wants to bring something different for each skater and choose out of the box music, creativity has its limits

Also... I have questions about music choices. It's good that many aren't going for warhorses, but I wonder if some choices are made more to say "look how unconventional I am"

e.g. Anna S. Skating to Perfume while portraying the story

e.g. Yuna Shirakawa's fs music (idk if she's portraying the story tho)

Even if one just wants to skate to  a piece without attaching any meaning to it (without referencing the movie, which is a legit choice and imo sometimes better than forcing a narrative/character), I wonder why we see so many pieces from movies with...very heavy themes. Do they really pick music just because they like it or they want the additional shock value of where the music comes from?

guess who's gonna choreograph Matteo Rizzo's SP?

can you guess? Can you?

be prepared for the biggest SURPRISE of the season 'cause....

Spoiler

well, I can't find the direct source not that I tried hard, so I haven't confirmed that with my own two eyes, but...yeah:10640793:

still, crossing fingers for Matteo!

1 hour ago, LadyLou said:

guess who's gonna choreograph Matteo Rizzo's SP?

can you guess? Can you?

be prepared for the biggest SURPRISE of the season 'cause....

Hide contents

well, I can't find the direct source not that I tried hard, so I haven't confirmed that with my own two eyes, but...yeah:10640793:

still, crossing fingers for Matteo!

Me too me too ,and add that to his summer training at TCC my hopes are areally high at the moment!