2019/2020 Season Program Announcements

30 minutes ago, liv said:

I can understand that feeling, but I think that a lot of music in the world has been influenced by/created as a result of terrible events throughout history... either on a massive scale, like wars or the Holocaust, or on a much more individual scale... for me, I just concentrate on the haunting beauty of the music and the skating. I remember reading that Steven Spielberg really enjoyed Julia's program during 2014 Olys, and even sent her a thank you letter for doing it, so if he seemed fine with it, then I think it's ok.

I really enjoyed Yulia’s program too :tumblr_inline_mfy936EPNF1qid2nw:and the music is so beautiful but still it leaves a weird feeling that I can’t really explain. Anyway I have faith in Satton!

2 hours ago, Paskud said:

I watched Satton's SP and cringed. Egyptian hands.:facepalm: God, no. Simply no. WTF Richaud has in mind? Now I need to pray for Yuna's program.

16 hours ago, Katt said:

Yeah. The egyptian hand really need to go, this SP could work without that theme.  I think the music cut is fine, her expression is good and this program has the potential, but the choreo need alot of work to hit some musical accents better, and some more "in between".  

I don't know if I have a problem with the "egyptian" hands... They are not being used to make offensive references, IMO, and I would probably not notice them if I didn't already know they were "egyptian" hands. My main problem is that their main reference to a fusion seems to be 1. having some vague references to middle eastern folk dances and culture via some of the hand gesturing, the music, and her make-up/braid 2. not actually making it a fusion with barely any hip hop in it.

It just seems like they could have done it with any other music, and called it <insert culture here> "hip hop". It's somewhat undercooked, knowing what they were going for. I'd be fine with it had they not said if it was a hip hop (which will be my stance going into the season; it looks more like "funk"). But it's currently really not what they said they were going for. I like some of the slinkiness she's bringing to her movement currently, and some of the character, though.

11 minutes ago, Yume said:

I won't be surprised if Satoko or Rika change their SP.

I think Rika's SP isn't that bad. It's only music that is... very unique. And for many people not their cup of tea (including judges and that's what I fear now).

Just now, Paskud said:

I think Rika's SP isn't that bad. It's only music that is... very unique. And for many people not their cup of tea (including judges and that's what I fear now).

I felt she was uncomfortable with the style, although maybe only because of its being relatively fresh. I also found the choreography to be quite generic.

7 minutes ago, Paskud said:

I think Rika's SP isn't that bad. It's only music that is... very unique. And for many people not their cup of tea (including judges and that's what I fear 

Nah choreo isn't bad. Just a bit generic. But choreo+that music=No.

Satoko's program doesn't work me, at all. For now at least.

That music would be perfect for Ivett Toth or Loena Hendrickx.

12 minutes ago, Yume said:

Nah choreo isn't bad. Just a bit generic. But choreo+that music=No.

That's exactly what I feared. How much you like this program depends on how much you like the music.

4 minutes ago, ralucutzagy said:

Satoko and Rika, both SP musics doesn't work for me ... I mean, they are so lovely and delicate and that belly dance music ... a big no-no for me .

Without "Baghdad" in title would you call it belly dance music?

And I never would call Rika delicate.:giggle:

17 minutes ago, Paskud said:

That's exactly what I feared. How much you like this program depends on how much you like the music.

Without "Baghdad" in title would you call it belly dance music?

And I never would call Rika delicate.:giggle:

This is my opinion and that music sounds like this to me. We don't have to like or dislike the same things. And yes, IMO, again, oriental music doesn't fit Satoko or Rika.