2019/2020 Season Program Announcements

1 hour ago, hoodie axel said:

Hmm. He's done good Chaplin, Rome and Juliet, and Les Mis. 

I should say in recent years, or at least after Sochi. David Wilson did some great programs that I like, he's capable of good, innovative choreo while ticking all the boxes, it just he has more misses than hits these days. 

12 minutes ago, Katt said:

I should say in recent years, or at least after Sochi. David Wilson did some great programs that I like, he's capable of good, innovative choreo while ticking all the boxes, it just he has more misses than hits these days. 

Fair enough.

50 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

:facepalm: I don't see how she could possibly understand what she's even doing with that movie and its songs.

Skate one of the victims of the murderer, possibly. The last one whoever her name was. The last section will be her getting murdered and her scent taken away. 

Just creepy. 

18 minutes ago, liv said:

I have never heard of that movie (but I dont see that many anyway)... so figure skating opens my ears once again... and, well, at least it isn't a warhorse!!

It’s a movie after a Patrick Sueskind’s best known novel, in which a man with a very keen sense of smell aims at making perfect perfume to control everyone, and his most crucial ingredients come from the body scents of freshly murdered young girls. 

Oh, and it all finishes with an orgy involving everyone in the city. Was it Paris? 

I looked it up... it has dustin hoffman, alan rickman... under what rock was my head when this came out? Esp with such a memorable premise...

Sounds perfect for a young teenager to skate to (not! )... but this camp has also had some other questionable choices for young girls... 

4 minutes ago, liv said:

I looked it up... it has dustin hoffman, alan rickman... under what rock was my head when this came out? Esp with such a memorable premise...

Sounds perfect for a young teenager to skate to (not! )... but this camp has also had some other questionable choices for young girls... 

Ben Winshaw made himself a name with that movie, I believe. But it’s sorta harrowing to watch. 

So what things are they going to choose for Alena? Anything less age appropriate? Like Lolita, perhaps? 

Imo, most of coaches don't care about if songs or movies from which music is made, are age appropriate. Especially in juniors, when i see on what kind of music many juniors skate. And imo if we are strict, some warhorses are not age appropriate.

They don't care about costumes too. Let's be true, figure skating is a sport where women are sexualized. Most of costumes usually shows skin. Sometimes a lot of skin (even if it can be false skin). I'm surprised to find naked back on some costumes. But with juniors, sometimes they go too far.

1 hour ago, Yume said:

Imo, most of coaches don't care about if songs or movies from which music is made, are age appropriate. Especially in juniors, when i see on what kind of music many juniors skate. And imo if we are strict, some warhorses are not age appropriate.

They don't care about costumes too. Let's be true, figure skating is a sport where women are sexualized. Most of costumes usually shows skin. Sometimes a lot of skin (even if it can be false skin). I'm surprised to find naked back on some costumes. But with juniors, sometimes they go too far.

It's true that Romeo and Juliet, Carmen, and Roxanne tackle difficult themes for teenagers, but I also think they somewhat simplify interpretation by just being "love story", "sassy", and "tango" respectively. I guess currently I just don't see what they'll even do with the songs unless there was like a waltz or something in it. I do think it can be an artistically innovative program, we had Giada Russo skating her step sequence to the orgy scene from a movie at the Olympics (and there was also her skating to Hable Con Ella, and I haven't watched that movie, but it was interpreted as a Flamenco this season by Boyang so there's some freedom of interpretation when it comes to movie sound tracks), but I guess I don't see us particularly getting innovation with Eteri's camp or in terms of getting Shcherbackova there in terms of artistic maturity, and I fear for some uncomfortable literal interpretation currently (I'll take the other path they sometimes walk on, of attaching no interpretation to it at all).