2019/2020 Season Program Announcements

1 minute ago, Katt said:

ShaeLyn did a program for Wagner with the same music. IMO, that's more of Misha's style - warhorse, dramatic. Skaters need to know music has alot of great songs other than Exogenesis part 3 :facepalm: Even part 2 would be nice. 

I've left most hope at the door with the ladies tbh, hence my :rofl: at most announcements. Men are slightly more personal and creative at least.

Well, nothing fresh so far.

IMO, Medvedeva's SP will be choreographed by Misha Ge. That's the kind of songs he likes to work on. I can see her doing good enough on that music since it isn't that different than everything she's done so far.

But i think that skating on memoirs of a geisha is a bad bad idea. I can't see how she can skate beautifully on that music. Imo her skills are not yet at a level where she can do justice to that music. I won't be surprised if she changes her music choice. I even bet it will happen.

5 minutes ago, Yume said:

I can see her doing good enough on that music since it isn't that different than everything she's done so far.

True in a way, but if you consider that none of the SPs have been particularly good to this type of music for her...

I don't know why they wouldn't try something fresh, since that seemed like one of the reasons she switched coaches, but oh well.

5 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

True in a way, but if you consider that none of the SPs have been particularly good to this type of music for her...

I don't know why they wouldn't try something fresh, since that seemed like one of the reasons she switched coaches, but oh well.

Well, it won't be bad like her tango at least.

Maybe she wanted to to do more warhorses when she was with Eteri.

16 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Do you mean fresh as in innovative or fresh as in "different from her normal style"?

Because if you mean the latter, I think they tried that with Orange Colored Sky and it failed miserably.  I'm not surprised that they're gun shy about new things this year.

7 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

Do you mean fresh as in innovative or fresh as in "different from her normal style"?

Both. 

6 minutes ago, Old Cat Lady said:

I'm not surprised that they're gun shy about new things this year.

I can acknowledge it's a sport and staying in a zone that allows simplifies a win for you is a valid strategy. It's not a challenge however, which I think is a superseding aspect of sport. It's a criticism of most ladies' skating in terms of PCS, though.

They did try something new with Orange color sky but didn't work out. I can understand they decide the SP should be in her comfort zone . This music suit her but there's very little room for IN and music cut/structure. After Jeremy's 2013-14 LP, everyone's program look pale in comparison.

42 minutes ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

At least no one can force an anna karenina or orange colored sky program on Zhenya anymore. I feel for skaters who have to skate to things they don’t like. 

I didn't follow completely but i was under the impression that orange colored sky was her choice....she had problems it's true and with the current field she couldn't (and still can't)probably afford to lose time or points but i really liked it,it's a pity she dropped it.

On the other end,just thinking about her EX-programmes it seems to me this is what she feels confortable with,not very innovative that's true but we'll see.

I know I'm biased because I really really love Satoko, but for me, every time I watched Evgenia's tango this season it just made me want to go back and watch Satoko's tango again, and I'm sure Evgenia's Memoirs of a Geisha will just make me want to watch Satoko's from last season. I'm sure the overlap is coincidental but for me it's not a good comparison to keep highlighting. (Of course, the judges will keep giving Evgenia higher PCS anyway even though it's not deserved, so I guess it doesn't matter.) I also think that given the history of Memoirs of a Geisha, it's the last thing I would choose if my intention was to pay tribute and show respect to Japanese people and culture.

And speaking of Satoko, I would love to see her work with a new choreographer too, not because her programs have been bad but just because I'd love to see her experiment creatively. 

I think Zhenya can't afford to experiment and make bold choices next season - the field in Russia will be insane and she will need to feel comfortable from the get go. Yes, Exogenesis isn't an original choice but it can suit her well and next season that's what's going to matter the most. Contemporary with a classic feel is a good style for her so she's playing to her strengths.

I'm neutral on Memoirs of a Geisha. The music is nice, a lot will depend on the choreography because it could be very boring\uninspiring if done wrong.