REPORT: Lim files complaint against Bell: alleged bullying, interference

21 minutes ago, jinxxoo said:
  Hide contents

They didn’t show pictures of the actual collision though. That twitter acoount is created just for this world championship? This whole twitter drama seems to be staged and planned. Why can’t the agency wait till after the competition? To get more attention? 

And it seems that a lot of fanyus are affected by this also.  I hope the men’s competition won’t be affected. 

I just hope that ISU and korean fed and US fed will investigate properly AND share the results.

I don't want things to end like for the SafeSport investigation, with all the and citing widespread bad practices and bad environment and bad mentality and then just shrugging and leaving everything as it is.

Regardless of the intentional/not intentional accident this time, it would be very serious if there was bullying going on at their rink, and if the rink knew and if they haven't done more to solve the situation. I hope, after WC, whoever is in charge will release a statement and bring a bit of clarity.

And I hope some skaters could refrain from dismissing the issue, Eunsoo is a real person as much as Mariah, even if they are friends with Mariah it doesn't mean Eunsoo's side of the story is clickbait and fake. And I also wish people could refrain from flooding a skater's personal social media calling names when things are still unclear...

personal opinion

Spoiler

even if I were to believe ATS only wants to stir up troubles, I fail to see how stirring troubles between Mariah and Eunsoo would be helpful to Eunsoo's career.

Eunsoo's career has just started and she can use all the help, included that from US fed and US coaches...She isn't the biggest medal contender here at WC and even if she were, Mariah for sure isn't the one that could steal her medal. Heck, I don't even see how Mariah's could steal Raf's attention either... at most the main competitor for Raf's attention would be Marin, cinically it would be more..."useful"  to stir up troubles with her japanese rinkmate, more so given the precedents, rather than with a much older skater, a skater that is in a very different stage of her career and it's unlikely will be a direct rival in the future...).

Also, many korean skaters, included the other biggest hopeful among korean ladies, train with US coaches, so I'd think korean fed wouldn't take well a made-up feud with a Big fed they'd love to keep working with. idk how much more powerful ATS is compared to Korean fed, but I fail to see how tainting Mariah's image, who's certainly not a Mao or a Yuzu, could help Eun Soo's budding career.

That said, I also have hard time reconciling myself with the idea that Mariah, who looks so joyful and sweet on the ice, could have bullied anyone, so I'd love if everything could be only a big misunderstanding, but I fear it won't be so "easy"...

One thing I'd like to know is if Mariah has, at a point, apologized for the accident. Intentional or not, if you crash on someone and that someone is hurt, it's polite to apologize and inquire about the condition of the other. Of course it's entirely possible there was some kind of private apology already...

ETA: ok, it looks like maybe it wasn't a crash crash but more of a slicing of the blade...but still... I remember clearly that when something similar happened with Patrick (Sochi gala? I dont' remember if Patrick was hurt) Yuzuru rushed to him to make sure that he was ok.

What a lovely defense squad that camp has formed.

https://twitter.com/AshWagner2010

[Edit: Keep criticism constructive/specific!]

https://twitter.com/Adaripp

(yes, YOU are being bullied, Rippon!)

I am not looking up Ponsart's anything, but apparently he pretty much claimed Lim's lying about being injured by Bell (whether by accident or not).

[Edit: Keep criticism constructive/specific!]

While we do need proof, I also don't think a minor from a small fed would file a complaint if she didn't feel genuine discomfort in a foreign country.

2 hours ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

This is a New York Times article back in 2009 that mentioned Yuna Kim’s warm up incident. Wonder how the media will approach the issue this time. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/27/sports/othersports/27skate.html

“At Four Continents, when she suggested that Japanese skaters intentionally stymied her warm-ups, her fans rallied to her defense. The Japan Skating Federation said there was no intentional obstruction. But Kim’s compatriots steamed.” 

Yuna took gold and Mao took bronze in that competition. 

This was miscounstrued by the media, IIRC.

https://www.france24.com/en/20190321-isu-launch-probe-after-korean-skater-injured-american-rival

ISU will investigate Eunsoo and ATS claims.

Figure skating's ruling body is set to investigate claims America's Mariah Bell deliberately injured South Korean rival Lim Eun-soo during a warm-up at the world championships in Japan.

Korean officials told AFP on Thursday that they had lodged a formal complaint following the incident, in which Lim's management agency alleged Bell kicked their skater, causing a cut to her leg, while limbering up for the women's short programme on Wednesday night.

The officials refused to speculate what action, if any, the International Skating Union (ISU) might take, admitting it was "difficult to prove" intent on Bell's part.

"At this stage we can't conclude Bell caused the injury on purpose," a Korea Skating Union official said, adding that Lim's parents also brought the clash to the body's attention.

"It is hard to tell just by watching the video footage of the incident."

On 3/21/2019 at 12:44 PM, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

[Admin edit: Mean-spirited speculation of Eunsoo and her agency's motivations.]

But why would they risk her long term development when she is at a rink where she's making good progress, and yet has to return to it to train with the same person being accused of bullying her. She could get her name out there by simply skating well too as Korea is receptive to that. 

I was neither at this practice nor at their home rink and know absolutely nothing about these skaters other than that I like their skating. There is very little evidence of anything, certainly not enough to condemn either skater at this point.

That being said, this absolutely could have been an accident. I once got a big blade cut on my leg, and get this, I never saw or felt a thing, let alone did whoever did it. IF anyone did it. Maybe I did it to myself, although I highly doubt that. Maybe an invisible skating gnome knifed me.

If it were another skater, she's most likely been walking around for two decades with no idea that she sliced my leg open. She probably doesn't even remember me at all. It's possible we never even so much as made eye contact with each other, let alone had any conflicts.

That being said, if it were intentional, or if Eunsoo misinterpreted it as such due to prior mistreatment by Mariah, I really hope that isn't swept under the rug.

On 3/21/2019 at 1:02 PM, Danibellerika said:

But why would they risk her long term development when she is at a rink where she's making good progress and yet has to return to it to train with the same person being accused of bullying her. She could get her name out there by simply skating well. 

[Admin edit: Mean-spirited speculation of Eunsoo and her agency's motivations.]

On 3/21/2019 at 1:05 PM, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

[Admin edit: Mean-spirited speculation of Eunsoo and her agency's motivations.]

You literally just said agency can gain, not skater... And if it turns out false, no one will want to work with Lim to save their own arses. Lim might end up suing this agency them for ending her career (there hasn't yet been an official statement from her on this I believe), unless she's ultimately desirous of a reality tv queen sort of career. Could you expound further?

8 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

You literally just said agency can gain, not skater... And if it turns out false, no one will want to work with Lim to save their own arses. Lim might end up doing this agency them for ending her career (there hasn't yet been an official statement from her on this I believe)  could you expound further?

Lim did get a cut, so she is a victim nonetheless; she’s also only 16, it’s her first worlds, she’s nervous and inexperienced, and all her decisions are made by adults. Why wouldn’t people want to work with her? Even if things turn out to be false, they can explain that it’s a misunderstanding due to cultural differences and language barriers.   

4 minutes ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

Lim did get a cut, so she is a victim nonetheless; she’s also only 16 and all her decisions are made by adults. Why wouldn’t people want to work with her? Even if things turn out to be false, they can explain that it’s a misunderstanding due cultural difference and language barriers.   

Why would anyone want to work with someone whose agency blows something out of proportion with her own coaching team? Think about it, and apply it to your own workplace. And no, claims of racist harassment and intentional harm cannot be explained away due to cultural differences.

2 minutes ago, hoodie axel said:

Why would anyone want to work with someone whose agency blows something out of proportion with her own coaching team? Think about it, and apply it to your own workplace. And no, claims of racist harassment and intentional harm cannot be explained away due to cultural differences.

Because of money? medal potential? strong connection?  Service providers don’t need to love all their clients. 

Just now, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

Because of money? medal potential? strong connection?  Service providers don’t need to love all their clients. 

Service providers like to provide good quality services for the rest of their customers, and potential customers too who might not choose them if a problem child is present. Not to mention their own reputation.