2019 Russian Ladies World Team Selection

3 hours ago, shanshani said:

I think so. 30 something coaches voted, and I know Eteri and Mishin were among them. I think there's a list somewhere of everyone who was on the council.

Is it how they've always done it though? Someone on another FS board mentioned the vote was only done by phone (not sure how true it is). So I'm curious if this is how they usually decide the team, or only in cases when the selection isn't clear cut. 

2 minutes ago, katonice said:

Is it how they've always done it though? Someone on another FS board mentioned the vote was only done by phone (not sure how true it is). So I'm curious if this is how they usually decide the team, or only in cases when the selection isn't clear cut. 

When it’s not clear, it’s customary for the committee to vote. In this case, it might have been done through phone, there was pretty little time for all of them to get into one space. Russia isn’t small.

2 hours ago, katonice said:

I can't find the link right now, but yesterday there was an opinion/editorial piece on TASS.ru discussing the decision and saying, if Google Translate got it correct, that the problem is really that the Russian federation doesn't have any official, written selection criteria for picking the team, just a process of voting among coaches and officials. So they could pick anyone they feel like, in essence. They're not obligated to send the national champion or anyone else for that matter.

5 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I can't find the link right now, but yesterday there was an opinion/editorial piece on TASS.ru discussing the decision and saying, if Google Translate got it correct, that the problem is really that the Russian federation doesn't have any official, written selection criteria for picking the team, just a process of voting among coaches and officials. So they could pick anyone they feel like, in essence. They're not obligated to send the national champion or anyone else for that matter.

The National Champion is routinely sent to the Worlds. Unless you get a case like this season’s. 

This season was just so strange at Nats. The top 3 were juniors, the Olympic champ didn't skate well, the Olympic silver medallist didn't skate well, the hot 3A skater was sick...the lower ranked seniors skated a bit better... etc.... Nationals really didn't decide anything among the top ranked senior girls so they were left with many skaters, many competition medals, on and off performances.... no wonder it was tough to decide. Honestly, if I had been on that panel I'm not sure who I would've chosen either....

3 hours ago, Fay said:

When it’s not clear, it’s customary for the committee to vote. In this case, it might have been done through phone, there was pretty little time for all of them to get into one space. Russia isn’t small.

I see. Since this is the first time I heard of a vote being done, I was wondering if this was unusual. But it seems not the case. And ig it just shows how important it is to maintain good relationships and ties within the FS community in Russia. It's amazing how Zhenya has been able to do it, what with being the first elite Russian skater to train overseas. 

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Ig they don't mind opening themselves up to controversy, like what happened now. But then again, a season as unusual as this in terms of selection probably doesn't happen so often.

10 minutes ago, katonice said:

I see. Since this is the first time I heard of a vote being done, I was wondering if this was unusual. But it seems not the case. And ig it just shows how important it is to maintain good relationships and ties within the FS community in Russia. It's amazing how Zhenya has been able to do it, what with being the first elite Russian skater to train overseas. 

Ig they don't mind opening themselves up to controversy, like what happened now. But then again, a season as unusual as this in terms of selection probably doesn't happen so often.

I think the fact Zhenya’s mother used to be a skater also helps. But basically, Zhenya has been the first skater for a while with a whole array of gold medals, and she’s made herself... respected. She’s also proved herself highly motivated and utterly devoted to FS, not giving up after a breakup with a coach who made her famous, but wanting to try something new. 

And I guess many coaches might think Zhenya’s stay with TCC as sort of apprenticeship as well. It is the first time a Russian skater has trained with a non-Russian coach, so some might consider it as a sort of investment. 

So basically, yes, the past record allowed Evgenia Medvedeva get chosen now. Get your popcorn now and get ready to see another exciting episode coming up. This has been a most exciting season so far! 

2 hours ago, hoodie axel said:

I guess yagudin doesn't count because he was still with TAT?

Yes. I should've said first to train with a non-Russian coach. 

2 hours ago, Fay said:

I think the fact Zhenya’s mother used to be a skater also helps. But basically, Zhenya has been the first skater for a while with a whole array of gold medals, and she’s made herself... respected. She’s also proved herself highly motivated and utterly devoted to FS, not giving up after a breakup with a coach who made her famous, but wanting to try something new. 

And I guess many coaches might think Zhenya’s stay with TCC as sort of apprenticeship as well. It is the first time a Russian skater has trained with a non-Russian coach, so some might consider it as a sort of investment. 

So basically, yes, the past record allowed Evgenia Medvedeva get chosen now. Get your popcorn now and get ready to see another exciting episode coming up. This has been a most exciting season so far! 

I honestly don't know what to expect from Zhenya, how she will be able to compete with the young up-and-comers who have a brimming technical arsenal. But I'm all here for the popcorn and to see how it all goes for her. 

On 2/27/2019 at 8:36 AM, Yuazz said:

Same. 

This is about sport and should be fair in making decision. This season liza did better. She deserves it. 

I'm disappointed and liza must be 1000x more disappointed than me. This killed the fun in watching the sport. 

When has FS been about being fair? I've watched FS since the late '80s and it was not fair then and it's not fair now so us fans should just get over that. Fed politics has always been and will always continue to be a big part of the sport. I honestly did not think Zhenya was going to selected (was hopeful as her fan) but I would have been just as happy for Liza T. It's unfortunate she had the illness in the middle of the season that stopped her momentum. 

I am a big Zhenya fan so I'm super stoked that she's going to World's but on the other hand I'm disappointed for Liza T. The amount of on line vitriol that gets slung at Zhenya (for just about anything) is absolutely appalling and I'm so happy that she was able to feel the crowd support in Russia. No skater deserves the kind of hate she gets but she's one tough cookie.

I'll be rooting for her at Worlds! #ZhenyaDavai

11 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:

There's a full translation here, worth reading:

https://fs-gossips.com/alexei-mishin-we-need-more-benevolence-and-sympathy-for-the-wonderful-skaters/

Q: How do you feel about the decision of the Federation of figure skating to include Evgenia Medvedeva into the team for World Championships who, in fact, failed the current season? And what do you think about the national team selection system, when the coaching council decides whom to include into the national team as the main athlete and whom as substitute?

Alexei Mishin: It is very difficult for me to answer your questions, because all these people who are involved in making such decisions are all my friends. Half of the judges who worked there are also my friends. But I have one comparison. I will try to be very soft. You know, Boris Pasternak once wrote his novel Doctor Zhivago. And in that historical era, the best writers expelled Pasternak from the Writers Union. Well, we have the situation with Liza Tuktamysheva – the best Russian coaches voted for Liza not to go. None of the Soviet writers read the novel Doctor Zhivago, but they thought it was bad. Not all coaches saw Liza Tuktamysheva skate. Probably, they had some important considerations that resolved the issue not in favor of Tuktamysheva.

I would not like to pedal this question, because thre’s already not a very good environment in the Internet. It is not right. We need more benevolence and sympathy for the wonderful skaters. Zhenya Medvedeva is an excellent athlete who is deeply respected by me, and Lisa Tuktamysheva. All of them are good athletes and deserve a lot of good words.

On 3/2/2019 at 7:28 PM, katonice said:

Yes. I should've said first to train with a non-Russian coach. 

I honestly don't know what to expect from Zhenya, how she will be able to compete with the young up-and-comers who have a brimming technical arsenal. But I'm all here for the popcorn and to see how it all goes for her. 

Well after what happened this season, i bet things will go pretty well for her.