2019 Russian Ladies World Team Selection

19 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

God...

Ahhhh. I always do wonder about the naïveté of skaters. My personal recommendation to all of them is retirement, but I doubt they'll ever listen. I've heard enough about the training conditions of skaters (and they really do seem to be kept in bubbles) to make the political aspects of this "sport" strike a pretty bad chord. I sincerely hope the sport dies.

8 minutes ago, PapiandPooh422 said:

I understand that you're disappointed of what happened but please refrain from being harsh to a girl who also fought for her right. It's not her fault the situation escalated to this and it's extremely unfair to say all of these when she just did what she's supposed to do and worked hard.  

I don't see why that post is being interpreted as such. They are expressing their opinions on the situation, and are saying they can't root for skaters who have strong political backings. Goodness knows I and several here can't root for certain male skaters for similar reasons. Doesn't look like they're taking away Med's hard work. If it leaves a bad taste, it leaves a bad taste, and if they don't look forward to Med on a team, that's all it means -- not like they're actively rooting against her to fall or to never make the team again.

Now, people are also attacking Brian for his statement. Of course, he's gonna say he's happy. Of course, he's gonna say it's fair. What coach wouldn't do that? Twitter is such a filthy place especially when you see fellow Yuzu fans jumping the hate bandwagon. Pls, if you're there, don't engage. Let's keep the criticism to rusfed, not the skaters or their coaches.

4 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Now, people are also attacking Brian for his statement. Of course, he's gonna say he's happy. Of course, he's gonna say it's fair. What coach wouldn't do that? Twitter is such a filthy place especially when you see fellow Yuzu fans jumping the hate bandwagon. Pls, if you're there, don't engage. Let's keep the criticism to rusfed, not the skaters or their coaches.

And while we're at it, Tat might be influential but she is only one person, not 17, and each of the 17 people who voted for Zhenya made their own decisions there. If Tat was working the scene, they still agreed to be worked into the scene, so, yeah. I don't even want to look for any individual scapegoats. 

2 minutes ago, WinForPooh said:

And while we're at it, Tat might be influential but she is only one person, not 17, and each of the 17 people who voted for Zhenya made their own decisions there. If Tat was working the scene, they still agreed to be worked into the scene, so, yeah. I don't even want to look for any individual scapegoats. 

TAT wasn’t a member of the committee which made the decision anyway, I think.

You know, even though I'm a Zhenya fan, I honestly thought the Worlds spot would go to Liza. 

And I don't want to diss Alina, but I don't think going to Worlds is going to work out well for her, given her injury issues and the season she's had. 

The pressure's on for Zhenya now. She absolutely has to turn in a clutch performance in Saitama, regardless of whether she podiums or not. And I'm concerned that she isn't ready to do that yet.

IMO, this team selection of Russia's makes it far more likely that we'll have an all-Japan ladies' podium at World's. 

Well, if Zhenya doesn't get that famed head and consistency back in a few weeks, I'd hate to see what's tossed her way afterwards. It would get pretty brutal, I think. And ugly. I really hope she does well now, so much at stake. 

I guess the dice have been rolled. Now it's up to her. 

1 minute ago, rockstaryuzu said:

IMO, this team selection of Russia's makes it far more likely that we'll have an all-Japan ladies' podium at World's. 

Actually, I wouldn’t mind, as that would mean that the most all-round skaters would win for once. 

So so far we know that Mozer and Zhulin voted for Zhenya. 

The choice was between Liza and Evgenia, not Stanislava.  Liza definitely deserved 3rd spot. her score at international competitions is higher and she has 3A. There are two explanation:either RusFed is corrupted and this decision is dictated by  favoritism or they are just sincerely rooting for Evgenia and totally ignored bases of fair sport. Anyway  I feel sorry for Liza and wish her not to give up.

3 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

We won't. Because for all the Rusfed drama choosing, the Japanese ladies still get low balled on their PCS unlike the Russians. So the Russians only have to skate clean-ish and judges will be throwing PCS at them anyway. 

Popping in to say that Russian ladies drama makes men's drama look tame.

I think Liza should have gotten it, but I have faith in Zhenya. I think she's in a better mental place now after doing Rusnats and CoR. I don't actually think Russia's spots are in as much danger as a lot of the pearl clutching in some places implies. Sofia's been solid and shown the ability to perform under a lot of pressure. Even if Alina does badly, she's still getting good PCS so is unlikely to fall that far in the rankings. Evgenia seems on the mend. Really only one of Alina/Zhenya need to do okay to preserve the spots if Sofia continues her consistency streak, and I think it's excessively pessimistic to think that both of them will bomb badly enough to knock the Russian combined ranking below 13. It's possible, I guess, but honestly I don't think it's that likely.

Really sucks for Liza though. Poor girl, none of this was her fault.

27 minutes ago, freyaminnie said:

We won't. Because for all the Rusfed drama choosing, the Japanese ladies still get low balled on their PCS unlike the Russians. So the Russians only have to skate clean-ish and judges will be throwing PCS at them anyway. 

I agree. The Russians just needs to be clean and even a clean Kaori won't have a chance. Satoko would be overscored in TES but underscored in PCS which will just even out her score. If we'll base the scoring from how the ladies were scored this season, Rika is the only one who has a guarantee to be given good scores. 

On 2/26/2019 at 6:04 AM, sallycinnamon said:

Alena is amazing, can't wait to see her at Junior Worlds :)

Here's a new interview with Kolyada with English subs:

Ladies' drama aside, this interview makes my heart ache for Misha. You can tell his confidence in himself is getting rattled. I hope he can find the right mental space to be in for Worlds, and at least give two strong, clean skates. He needs it badly. Never mind medals. 

29 minutes ago, MeowZu said:

Maybe he could avoid the word "fair" because it did make me roll my eyes. 

At this rate people would looking forward for drama at WC than actual skating. Not sure its good for any parties. 

On 2/25/2019 at 2:16 PM, Mastyaeva said:

Alexander Kogan, general director of the Russian Figure Skating Federation : “We can make changes to the starting lineup up to one hour before the team leaders meeting at the World Championships. That is, by convention, until March 18. Based on the people in the list of main (participants) and alternatives. ”

https://sport24.ru/news/other/2019-02-25-rossiya-mozhet-do-17-marta-izmenit-zayavku-na-chempionat-mira-po-figurnomu-kataniyu 

I literally have no words. 

Wow, RusFed. Way to put everyone on eggshells..."you've been selected but don't forget we can change our minds at any time..." :snbleh: