Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

It has been a really wild night:

• NBA suspends rest of season
  • Tom Hanks and Rita Wilson test positive for COVID-19
  • NYC postpones St. Patrick's Day Parade
  • US suspending travel from Europe except the UK
  • Universities quite literally kicking students off campus

39 minutes ago, buttercup said:

Universities quite literally kicking students off campus

A friend of mine works at Rensselaer, and that is quite literally what's happening. But, as he put it, the only students left on campus at this point are the ones who literally have nowhere else to go

3 hours ago, Veveco said:

I don't fully buy it personally. I think maybe they just said that to keep the option opened "officially". For whatever reason. Save face? Investors? Who knows. October is just odd and impractical. Lakernik himself said "it would be hard" so...?? Why must everything be unclear with them?

This 'worlds might be rescheduled but not before October' is exactly the same statement they made after cancelling the short track speed skating Worlds too, so I'm not convinced we should take it seriously

6 minutes ago, monchan said:

They made RIGHT decision:

I'm afraid this might just be the beginning. Hopefully the Govt realizes now how quickly the situation can derail and take appropriate measures. 

Cases are escalating FAST in Europe and the US...

Sure the govt takes the appropriate neadures.

So far anyone from sny country can enter freely

2 minutes ago, amylance1215 said:

I'm afraid this might just be the beginning. Hopefully the Govt realizes now how quickly the situation can derail and take appropriate measures. 

Cases are escalating FAST in Europe and the US...

Western countries are all going down the same path. Italy is just quicker on their way.

9 hours ago, Sukigirl said:

So many interesting things here, particularly in these lines :

"

In fact, the International Skating Union said in a statement it would discuss the possibility of having the 2020 worlds later this year but that it could not occur before October. The ISU did not say if Canada would be the only country under consideration.

“We will do our due diligence to see if that is possible,” Skate Canada chief executive Debra Armstrong said Wednesday evening. “We appreciate that the ISU also is looking into it.”

Armstrong added she has had “very preliminary conversations” with management of the Bell Centre.

“They have provided us possible opportunities to consider,” she said, “but a lot more is involved than just, ‘Can we get the rink again?’”

Arutunian said that even if the 2020 worlds were held this autumn, he would not alter training plans designed to have his skaters peak at the more significant pre-Olympic worlds March 22-28, 2021 in Stockholm.

If U.S. Figure Skating’s Olympic team selection process remains the same as it has been recently, results of the 2021 worlds would factor heavily in the two-year “body of work” considered for selection. The 2021 worlds would be one of three “Tier 1” events in those selection criteria, along with next season’s U.S. Championships and Grand Prix Final.

The results of the 2021 worlds will also significantly impact countries’ quota spots in each discipline at the 2022 Winter Olympics in Beijing, China.

“Yes, it would be a world title, but you cannot be prepared to be your best in October and then prepared again to be in your best shape in March,” Arutunian said.

It might lead athletes to intensify summer training, which could take its toll by the end of the next winter.

“An (autumn) worlds would not be ideal,” Chen said. “We would all be ready for it and do the best we can, but it will be a very strange situation."

"

So there will be probably pressure by USFed to declare Worlds 2020 cancelled. Now, let's wait and see about RusFed's position. It might be complicated because "most medallable" single athletes are Eteri Girls, and Eteri Tutberidze seems to have many enemies at RusFed, as any successful newcomer "should". But then there are pairs.