Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

Excuse me but what the [email protected]$# is this $#*! ???? Are they trying to spread it?!?!

:8:

I can only hope that this is a case of right hand not knowing what the left hand is doing, and that their PR team is following a plan they laid down long before coronavirus hit, and that they have stupidly not considered the current inappropriateness of this. 

Not going to lie - if there were no incredibly contagious pandemic going on, a Fan Festival actually would be kind of fun. But now is not the time. 

1 hour ago, Chitsuki said:

hy isn't Worlds being given the same treatment when the COVID-19 is worse now than it was at the time of 4CC?

Probably because such measures aren't up to the funder (ISU/SC) or the venue (Bell Center) or the ticket seller (Evenko), but to the organizing committee (probably some random conglomeration of paid staff and SC volunteers). As we've seen, The Worlds 2020 organizers aren't the sharpest tools in the shed. 

What are all the "should we have big international gatherings or not" guidelines for if they aren't going to follow them...??? I wish NA govts/ISU/SC would stop acting like they are some kind of special exception and take some responsibility. This fan festival piece reads like they have their heads in the clouds. Not to mention the whole red carpet awards thing. Or the lack of communication with spectators about the actual competition. There are many attendees from places with widespread outbreaks and also from places with inadequate testing/ignorance (like the US, where I am). I'm not even going and I'm so anxious about this.

Well, they paid Ari Zakaryan for his contribution to the enhancement of the WC glamour with the spectators money, how could ISU and SC get their money back to refund?

For those people thinking about cancelling but are hesitating due to non-refundable flights / hotels or have cancelled, please please contact your airline, booking agent, hotel or airbnb about the possibility of refund no matter what the original cancellation policy stated - travel providers are being incredibly flexible and responsible at the moment with refunds and cancellation fees despite their own losses. 

Not to do with Worlds, but many people I know have cancelled their upcoming travel plans and managed to get full refund or rebooked for later in the year after contacting the airline or booking site. 

2 minutes ago, mambook said:

For those people thinking about cancelling but are hesitating due to non-refundable flights / hotels or have cancelled, please please contact your airline, booking agent, hotel or airbnb about the possibility of refund no matter what the original cancellation policy stated - travel providers are being incredibly flexible and responsible at the moment with refunds and cancellation fees despite their own losses. 

Not to do with Worlds, but many people I know have cancelled their upcoming travel plans and managed to get full refund or rebooked for later in the year after contacting the airline or booking site. 

This! I just found out my flight to Canada from Japan is fully refundable! I didn’t think Japan was on the airlines list of places eligible for refunds but it was! 

3 hours ago, mambook said:

I can attest to this - I just cancelled what were supposed to be non-refundable “promo fare” flight tickets only 6 hours before departure, and the airline agreed to convert it to travel credit that can be used towards any destination in the next 12 months. Same with the ground package that I had booked with a tour agency.

While it’s unfortunate that the ISU/Evenko insist on not refunding tickets, I hope everyone here who’s cancelling the trip can at least recoup some costs from the airline/accommodation provider. It’s breaking my heart to see posters desperately trying to sell off their Worlds tickets at such deep discounts through no fault of their own.

I might try calling airline/accommodation today and see if they can do partial refund/credit even both are supposedly non-refundable for me. 

I wonder if it would be worth doing a media campaign asking ISU and the organising bodies for answers at the very least about the superfluous events they're having and safety measures apart from hand sanitisers they would have in place for the audience. Because the lack of information and answers is ridiculous at this point. 

There are still 5-6 days until first practice. If numbers of infected people will start to rise suddenly during that time, probably Health Minister can still immediately force ISU to cancel everything. :/

But: weren't they supposed to announce 3 nominees for awards yesterday? I guess not everything is going as planned?

If Isu didn't want to cancel maybe they can do the closed competition without the audience ?Some of the skaters already there already.They can still make the money with the broadcast and why not so much concern during worlds junior? No one asked for cancellation during worlds junior

13 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

why not so much concern during worlds junior? No one asked for cancellation during worlds junior

A couple of reasons off the top of my head, although I'm sure there are more:

1. The sheer difference in the number of spectators at Jr Worlds vs. Senior Worlds (Bell Centre can accommodate approximately 20,000 people) and the international demographics who are likely to be present.

2. The side activities planned for Senior Worlds encourage open mingling which increases virus transmission risks e.g. red carpet for 1,000 fans as skaters arrive; the Fan Festival with meet and greet between skaters and fans, food trucks, DJ and music acts, interactive exhibits etc. All these run counter to recommendations for social distancing.   

16 minutes ago, lynnidolz said:

If Isu didn't want to cancel maybe they can do the closed competition without the audience ?Some of the skaters already there already.They can still make the money with the broadcast

It's just my guess, but

1. probably no help from local gov in paying for expensive arena (it's their decision; not forced by Health Minister).

2. they still need to refund tickets.

in short: :free-random-smileys-214:

I suppose no statement = business as usual. They have always been irresponsible like that, i think if they dont say a word it means it will happen like it's supposed to be. I have accepted ISU and co. are living in a parallel universe so don't expect them to be in tune with society. They'll give u a few hand sanitizers at most, as a global pandemic isnt in their big plan apparently :deadinside:

No statement probably means they’re hoping local health authorities won’t shut it down.  Today’s jump in figures in the US is worrying, and that is on the same landmass, not an ocean away - I think the powers that be will shut it down if the situation continues to get worse.

56 minutes ago, Sombreuil said:

No statement probably means they’re hoping local health authorities won’t shut it down.  Today’s jump in figures in the US is worrying, and that is on the same landmass, not an ocean away - I think the powers that be will shut it down if the situation continues to get worse.

when will that happen though? Will they shut it down on the eve of when practice start? during the competition? There's only 5 more days until the first official practice, are they really going to hold out until the last minute to do so? 😭