Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

I am angry enough about how all of this is being handled that I’m going to boycott next season, still sitting here waiting to see if I fly to MTL on Sunday or not

23 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Yes. For example, if the Russians drop out, that'll be it. 

That might actually force their hand. 

Or if JSF incl Yuzu pull out....

I read an article in The Guardian about how most music festivals in the UK are insured against scenarios like adverse weather but not communicable disease specifically, and I'm wondering if that might be the same for the ISU. I also wonder how much of the ticket revenue and sponsors' money have already been "sunk" into paying the venue, vendors, hotel, etc. and if there is enough liquidity left over to refund all ticket purchasers even without an insurance payout. 

I completely agree that the right thing to do (at minimum) is to offer full refunds to those who are no longer able/want to attend the event, with the best case being a closed door competition with no spectators. I'm just wondering if the event's financial position at this stage (presuming no insurance payout) allows the ISU/Skate Canada to do that. 

If anyone here is familiar with event management or project accounting I'm very interested in whether you've experienced something like this before.

59 minutes ago, makebelieveup said:

honestly, the fact that the ISU isn't willing to cancel and give a refund shows how money hungry they are. They rather risk the health and safety of the athletes and fans than cancel the event. call me nasty but one day i really hope they get full boycott because there's gotta be a way for them to pay for these actions

What's throwing me for a loop is the part where all the media and other participants now have strict health guidelines and standards to meet, but they're saying absolutely nothing about the elephant in the room, aka the spectators. At the very least, acknowledge people's concerns. 

4 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

What's throwing me for a loop is the part where all the media and other participants now have strict health guidelines and standards to meet, but they're saying absolutely nothing about the elephant in the room, aka the spectators. At the very least, acknowledge people's concerns. 

they have learned to be silent for years. i guess all these years fans have been screaming into their ears about scoring corruption really train them to stay deaf and ignorant

1 hour ago, Sukigirl said:

Or if JSF incl Yuzu pull out....

No way JSF drops out - Yuzu and Shoma are definitely not in any quarantined area....

5 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Excuse me but what the [email protected]$# is this $#*! ???? Are they trying to spread it?!?!

This would've been amazing... IN A YEAR WITHOUT A CONTAGIOUS DISEASE OUTBREAK! The mind boggles.

Well, well, so still no word on Worlds. So still the uncertainty here. If the government is not saying anything, then I am pretty sure Worlds will continue as usual and ISU will push for the red carpet (and oh wow, we now have a fan festival?!). But still no specific measures on how to protect the spectators except for Evanko's announcement on more cleaning? Come on, even if mask is out of stock, at least go lease a fever detection device and make everyone fill a health declaration form like what 4CC did (then again, if they are not going to go through those health declaration form, better save some trees then). 

Perhaps they are waiting for people like me (who has kind of decided not to go) to voluntarily give up on the ticket. They can save on the refund and the crowd will now get thinner and lower the risk slightly. 

Anyway, regarding the use of mask, I kind of agree with WHO's guidance on wearing masks only IF you are sick. Not because I think masks are useless but because there is a worldwide shortage now and even health sectors are seeing their stockpile diminished. I would rather leave the supply to people who really need it. That said, i will also try to lower my risk by reducing social interaction in my normal life. However, if I go to Worlds, I will wear mask just because of the prolonged exposure to respiratory vapour from people who cheer and shout. Think most people have some stocks at home so just 7 masks for a week wouldn't harm future supply right? 

And If anyone has any mild symptoms, PLEASE stay home. I know it's easier said than done. Consider those who fly all the way to Montreal only to have a cough and I can imagine the urge to dismiss it as slight flu. However, we recently have 2 new clusters here in Singapore and a few was found to continue work or go for a private dinner function when they already have symptom (fever). It's unclear if they are the one who spread to others in the cluster but the possibility is high. I swear our Government is getting a headache now. They do so much to contain the virus and we just need a few socially irresponsible people to destroy the effort. For now, the clear symptoms are cough, chest discomfort, fever, shortness of breath. I think running nose symptom is unclear. If anyone has sinus problem especially in cold weather, I think that should be fine (I am not a doctor, don't quote me!). 

38 minutes ago, jitterbug70 said:

I completely agree that the right thing to do (at minimum) is to offer full refunds to those who are no longer able/want to attend the event, with the best case being a closed door competition with no spectators. I'm just wondering if the event's financial position at this stage (presuming no insurance payout) allows the ISU/Skate Canada to do that. 

If anyone here is familiar with event management or project accounting I'm very interested in whether you've experienced something like this before.

I'm in accounting, but not project accounting, so if anyone is more knowledgeable, please feel free to correct me. Also, I am speculating only. 

I would think planning for Worlds is something like planning for a wedding....with the advantage of having the cash upfront since tickets were paid for as early as May of last year. The revenue from ticket sales were probably used to pay for, at a minimum, the venue. Even for weddings, you usually have to foot the bill for the venue by the 1-month before the event timeline. I can't imagine for an event as big as Worlds that the Bell Centre would give the ISU a more lenient timeline. So, by this point (less than a week from the event), typically almost everything has been paid for. I don't actually believe the ISU has the free cash to refund all the tickets, because it's probably already all tied up in all the other expenses. 

Usually, the contract between the venue and the organizer would include a clause for "force majeure", which would basically release either party of the contractual obligations including the financial obligation in the event of an unforeseeable circumstance that stops either party from fulfilling the contract. Interestingly, I just had to review a contract with this clause 2 days ago - it doesn't include disease outbreak or threat of disease outbreak. That means the two parties would have to voluntarily release each other of the contract for them to get their money back, assuming this clause is the same in their contract. I speculated awhile ago that they were waiting for the QC government to step in and forcefully call it off in order to activate the clause.  That doesn't seem to have happened so it's probably back to whether the Bell Centre and Evenko would give them a refund, for them to even have cash to refund us in a cancellation.

The thing is though - I understand the financial aspect of it and maybe they don't have a choice on this front. What I don't get is why there's no precautions being taken with the audience. From everything I heard out of 4CC, they were on high alert about the virus and did a lot to make sure everyone was safe. Why isn't Worlds being given the same treatment when the COVID-19 is worse now than it was at the time of 4CC?

I agree that ISU is just trying to delay saying anything about audience safety, and confirming whether the event is going ahead or not, so that more ticket holders get “scared” and voluntarily miss the event.   Therefore ISU can pocket the money, and less risk of outbreak with less people attending.  ISU is taking a gamble and hoping no outbreak happens.   Which is totally selfish.

I will probably still go to Montreal

because my flights are not refundable, and I can only get back about one-third to one-fourth of my Airbnb if I cancel now.  I will try to make the most of the trip if the competition gets cancelled.  Walking around Montreal is actually safer than Toronto now as there are much less cases in Montreal....

23 minutes ago, Chitsuki said:

What I don't get is why there's no precautions being taken with the audience. From everything I heard out of 4CC, they were on high alert about the virus and did a lot to make sure everyone was safe. Why isn't Worlds being given the same treatment when the COVID-19 is worse now than it was at the time of 4CC?

I also think similar precautions should be taken, at minimum. As to why they aren't, my guess is that the measures at 4CC were instituted by the venue and/or the Korea Skating Union, not the ISU.

1 hour ago, SparkleSalad said:

Excuse me but what the [email protected]$# is this $#*! ???? Are they trying to spread it?!?!

So much bullsh*t in this. Red carpet isn't enough but they want a fan fest lasting for "a week long"?. GROSS GROSS GROSS. 

I honestly just want Yuzu to fly back to TCC right after medal ceremony. No Awards, no red carpet, and definitely, 100%, 10000000%, not this Fan Fest plsssssssssss Yuzu hear me. ISU & SC care nothing but $$$$, they're not here for your safety. Pls protect yourself. At time like this I just hope he has his own team that's in charge of his security. Airport scene at Korea is still a nightmare (and here we have ISU saying "Go for it!" :sick::sick::sick:)

Some notes from the front line in Lombardy. ISU Figure Skating and the Worlds 2020 organizers  should take note of what the good doctor says at 6:24 and have a long hard think about what they're doing: