Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

Did we ever get an answer about whether the ISU Awards nominees who aren’t competing at Worlds like Eunsoo and Kaori will be obliged to show up anyway? Or will non-Worlds participants just be quietly dropped off the list because heaven knows this entire farce was never meritocratic in the first place.

2 minutes ago, jitterbug70 said:

Did we ever get an answer about whether the ISU Awards nominees who aren’t competing at Worlds like Eunsoo and Kaori will be obliged to show up anyway? Or will non-Worlds participants just be quietly dropped off the list because heaven knows this entire farce was never meritocratic in the first place.

I think ISU is supposed to publish something today, like maybe a short list of nominees? (like the Oscars and such) Those on that short list will probably be expected to show up, but I doubt they'll punish anyone who doesn't come. That would be ridiculous.

As of right now, I'll probably be going if they don't cancel as well. I'm armed with masks - older ones, not recently bought - and gloves and sanitizers and wipes... There's definitely a part of me that doesn't want to let this put my life on hold, but it's also important to take all the safety measures one can take. And I'll probably be extra careful after returning home, too and will discuss working from home for two weeks upon return and limit my contact with my father and dog as much as possible, too. (Luckily, while my father has asthma, he's otherwise in great health, probably even more than I am.)

we all have the urge to go if we r not refunded [me included]

however, its like playing with fire, getting burnt n then wondering why? what did i do to deserve it?

i, for one, believe i have received too many sings as to why NOt to go.

my flight back is cancelled

14 days isolation or quarAntine once i am back

managed to cancel my non-refundable hotel without having to pay

i do believe that instead of going n risking our lives n other ppls lives, we should stay at home

n sue SC, Enenko and/or quebec govt for NOT cancelling n putting us at risk.

if they dont n ppl choose to go n do get infected, who will u blame then? urselves? i doubt it

1 hour ago, NILI N said:

we all have the urge to go if we r not refunded [me included]

however, its like playing with fire, getting burnt n then wondering why? what did i do to deserve it?

i, for one, believe i have received too many sings as to why NOt to go.

my flight back is cancelled

14 days isolation or quarAntine once i am back

managed to cancel my non-refundable hotel without having to pay

i do believe that instead of going n risking our lives n other ppls lives, we should stay at home

n sue SC, Enenko and/or quebec govt for NOT cancelling n putting us at risk.

if they dont n ppl choose to go n do get infected, who will u blame then? urselves? i doubt it

In my case I have already played with fire by taking the train and then flying out of China during January/February, and then going to 4CC. But ironically, if I have been exposed to the virus, it was almost certainly at home. There was an outbreak in my neighborhood, including in the apartment building next to mine, about a month ago. (Don't worry, it's under control. There haven't been any cases recently, nor has anyone I know gotten sick.) So I don't feel as though I'm playing with fire by going to Montreal much more than I feel like I'm playing with fire by stepping outside my own apartment. There's necessary precaution, and then there's refusing to live life out of fear.

That's not to say other people should go. These are my own risk calculations based on my own situation. Everyone should make a careful evaluation of their own circumstances. If you do choose to go, you should do whatever is possible to minimize the potential spread of disease. 

Maybe I'm being selfish. After all I did just spend a lot of time emphasizing how serious this disease is. But at the end of the day, it isn't my responsibility to make determinations about what is best for public health. That's the government's job, and if they determine that the risk is acceptable, well, I'm not letting thousands of dollars and the first opportunity for me to see my best friend in years go to waste because I think people who are ostensibly experts and whose job it is to make these types of determinations might be wrong. 

8 hours ago, shanshani said:

Seasonal flu doesn't overwhelm hospitals and cause 4-5% death rates in badly hit areas. This is far more dangerous than seasonal flu. Read up on the experiences of people in Wuhan or Northern Italy, and remember that what they've experienced can happen anywhere. If this virus achieves the same spread as seasonal flu, especially within a short period of time, it will kill far more people. Whether it does so isn't just some fact of nature like a natural disaster--it comes down to how we react and what measures we take to stop it.

I recognize that you're just trying to keep people from panicking, but the idea that covid-19 is comparable to a bad seasonal flu is not correct. And at this point, belief in that comforting lie will result in failures to take adequate measures to prevent the disease from spreading.

Your points are excellent. Adequate measures are essential. The problem Is defining what are adequate measures. While health officials are hardly infallible, I believe that at this stage they are serious about limiting the suffering. 

If they say cancel, I will accept it with regret but (I hope) grace. If the event proceeds, I will take stringent personal measures. 

One quibble with your analysis: We have no idea what the death rate is, because we have no idea how many total infections have occurred. Given that many people apparently have only mild symptoms, and the scarcity of testing kits, it’s possible that many cases have gone undetected. That would make the death rate lower. It will probably be a good while before medical researchers fully understand the dynamics of COVID-19. 

In the interim, it’s best, of course, to practice excellent hygiene and follow all directives from health officials. 

ETA: I don’t take flu lightly. My husband nearly died from the H1N1 that was so bad a decade ago. I know how serious flu can be, and I try to protect myself. My point is merely that that doesn’t mean isolating from life whenever a new threat appears. 

21 minutes ago, katonice said:

the ISU learned that the Quebec Health Ministry has scheduled a meeting for this morning Quebec time to discuss all major events in the province

eh, I'm 99% sure that they won't cancel it

If ISU will be forced by Quebec Health Ministry to cancel worlds, will people finally get their refunds?

16 minutes ago, Paskud said:

eh, I'm 99% sure that they won't cancel it

If ISU will be forced by Quebec Health Ministry to cancel worlds, will people finally get their refunds?

ISU thinking about the lost money:

giphy.gif

41 minutes ago, monchan said:

ISU thinking about the lost money:

giphy.gif

it's possible that like a previous tweet mentioned, the ISU only gets refunds if the event is canceled by the govt. or their insurance policy only covers such situations, so they cannot make the call to cancel.

either way, we'll know our answer soon enough. i'm looking forward to go and have everything booked but ... if they cancel then it's for the best. 

So in a few hours or so? Thank goodness. Should have been done already but better late than never.

1 minute ago, NILI N said:

For everyone

Oh, ok. And the ones who already flew in to Montreal? 

3 minutes ago, mrsaybia said:

Oh, ok. And the ones who already flew in to Montreal? 

Take the same precautions

3 minutes ago, mrsaybia said:

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/sports/1656683/coronavirus-patinage-artistique-montreal-isu

This is only for the athletes, right? I read it on google translate, as my French is terrible. 

Hastyy, probably inaccurate translation :

Coronavirus : preventive measures for Wolrd Figure Skating Championships in Montréal.

ISU have set measures compulsory for all travellers who will go to Montréal and ask for an accreditation to be part of [probably the source of misunderstanding, Mrsaybia] Figure Skating World Championships, from 16th.

ISU recommend travellers to regularly check their temperature. And within the seven days before their travel to Montréal, they will have to fill a form regarding their health condition. This form will have to be given to the Accreditation Office upon arrival.

Any person whose temperature doesn't exceed 38°C, who has no symptom of cold or flu and who have not travelled in a "risky zone" [quotation marks and emphasis mine] in the 14 previous days shall be admitted. An accreditation shall be given even if this person has visited such "risky country" [quotation marks and emphasis mine], but then she will have to check her temperature everyday.

If ever a person would show fever or any respiratory symptom, she would receive a mask and would be isolated. Of course, the request for accreditation would be rejected.

These measures have been announced after Québec Health Minister Danielle McCann mentionned, on Monday, the possibility that Wolrd Championships could be cancelled.

ISU have also been informed that a meeting will take place on Tuesday morning at the Ministry to discuss the different major events due to happen next in Québec, including these World Championships.