Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

1 hour ago, yumeaki said:

So the whole of Italy will be under lockdown now? How will that affect the Italian skaters? 

https://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/world/covid-19-coronavirus-all-of-italy-to-be-placed-under-lockdown-12520536

Ok, maybe under 'verified professional reason'.

https://www.euronews.com/2020/03/08/italy-coronavirus-lockdown-what-the-emergency-measures-mean

Some of them are already here in Canada anyway

8 minutes ago, Sukigirl said:

This is nuts. 

@yumeaki have you decided if you're going?

I am turning nutty.  Changing my mind every minute. 

I am now 90% not going mode. My real worry is being called up for quarantine just because I am traced to be a “close contact” of someone with the virus sitting near me on the plane. If this happen back home, I will be down on quarantine and I don’t know who else can attend to my company’s audit which will happen 2 weeks after Worlds (see? I am not even worried about getting the virus). 

Well, there is my elderly parents who live with me to think about too in case I unknowingly import the virus home. 

I may have to talk to my boss later...

Just now, yumeaki said:

I am now 90% not going mode. My real worry is being called up for quarantine just because I am traced to be a “close contact” of someone with the virus sitting near me on the plane. If this happen back home, I will be down on quarantine and I don’t know who else can attend to my company’s audit which will happen 2 weeks after Worlds (see? I am not even worried about getting the virus). 

Well, there is my elderly parents who live with me to think about too in case I unknowingly import the virus home. 

Oh dear. I think self-quarantine is advisable, but can you somehow isolate your parents from you? 

4 minutes ago, yumeaki said:

Same, except that I have some time before I start work, so being quarantined is not that disruptive. But the last thing I want to do is bring virus home. What's making me determined to go is just stubborn-mindedness I guess. Planning for this for so long.

I'm probably going as long as it doesn't cancel. I guess. For now. 

Guess who is being proactive and planning to reschedule events to mitigate COVID transmission risks? Not the ISU...

Since it seems Evenko, et al are confident that their enhanced precautionary measures will be sufficient, I hope everyone who does decide to go will have a great and safe time! On the off chance that they decide to cancel the event or hold it behind closed doors, they'd better not announce it TOO late. It's a long and expensive flight to Canada not only for fans but also small Fed skaters and it'd be gutting if they spent all that money for nothing. Fingers crossed for everyone!!

I need them to let us know definitively what their plan is, like, right now. This is driving me up the god damn wall. 

54 minutes ago, Fay said:

Oh dear. I think self-quarantine is advisable, but can you somehow isolate your parents from you? 

Well, there is the option to shut myself in a hotel room (bye money~) or in my room and wipe down any common area I touched. 

Though we have about 160 cases here in Singapore and we still go on with our lives as usual (just more cleaning and less face touching). Worlds has the extra risk due to close proximity with people either in stadium or on plane so that’s bothering me. 

50 minutes ago, Sukigirl said:

Same, except that I have some time before I start work, so being quarantined is not that disruptive. But the last thing I want to do is bring virus home. What's making me determined to go is just stubborn-mindedness I guess. Planning for this for so long.

I'm probably going as long as it doesn't cancel. I guess. For now. 

Well give me any month and I will push through with the trip. But audit month.... sigh...  

i will try to avoid crowd if I am there. Maybe enter the stadium earlier or leave earlier/later than others. Imagine the crowd at the entrance/exit. 

Has the practice schedule/group rotations come out?the first practice is on the 16th right?usually when will they come out.Are they planning to cancel and thats why it hasn't come out yet?

1 hour ago, yumeaki said:

Worlds has the extra risk due to close proximity with people either in stadium or on plane so that’s bothering me. 

That's exactly it. Out and about in Montreal, just by itself, isn't any higher risk than most places. Probably a lot lower risk than some of the more densely populated cities of the world. 

It's the event itself that's the issue

13 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

That's exactly it. Out and about in Montreal, just by itself, isn't any higher risk than most places. Probably a lot lower risk than some of the more densely populated cities of the world. 

yes. My greatest fear is the getting there and coming back - busy airports, multiple transfers, long-haul flights, public transport to get there and back. Montreal itself is fine. 

As for the rink, I think if most people wear masks, it’ll help. One person wearing it won’t make much of a difference but if everyone does, it’ll definitely mitigate the risk.

46 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Exactly

5 hours ago, shanshani said:

Seasonal flu doesn't overwhelm hospitals and cause 4-5% death rates in badly hit areas. This is far more dangerous than seasonal flu. Read up on the experiences of people in Wuhan or Northern Italy, and remember that what they've experienced can happen anywhere. If this virus achieves the same spread as seasonal flu, especially within a short period of time, it will kill far more people. Whether it does so isn't just some fact of nature like a natural disaster--it comes down to how we react and what measures we take to stop it.

I recognize that you're just trying to keep people from panicking, but the idea that covid-19 is comparable to a bad seasonal flu is not correct. And at this point, belief in that comforting lie will result in failures to take adequate measures to prevent the disease from spreading.

We had a recent very good press conf with our Chief Med Officer Proff Chris Whitty.  Spread through sneezing n touch, which is why always wash hands.  Virus stays on surfaces for 48 hrs gone in 72.  Gone off soft surfaces quicker than hard.  Touching won't give you virus it's if you touch n then touch your face. 3.4 % WHO mortality rate incorrect as it's based only on the % who died and were identified, not those actually infected and not diagnosed.  So 1% is actual figure.  He thinks we are missing a lot of very mild cases which show no symptoms so poss lower than 1%.  

Read this:

And this:

This is what is happening in Italy right now. It's the same as what happened in Wuhan several weeks ago. Hospitals overrun, doctors unable to save people due to lack of resources, patients crowding and dying in hallways. This is what happens when the disease is not controlled. Countries don't shut down over seasonal flu. China didn't kill its economy over seasonal flu.

Death rates depend heavily on whether the outbreak is adequately controlled. In places like Chinese provinces outside of Hubei and in South Korea that are controlling their infections and aren't overrun? Yeah, maybe it's 1% or less, although that's still one out of every 100 people and several times seasonal flu. If 100 or so people you know get it, on average one will die. Somewhere like Wuhan or Northern Italy? It's a medical disaster zone. It's not just people dying of coronavirus too, it's people unable to get medical care for all the other medical emergencies because the hospitals are overloaded and have to prioritize. Even people who survive are often hospitalized for weeks.

As someone living in Asia, who has relatives who were put under lockdown, who was quarantined for two weeks inside a 10 sq meter apartment, the West has been far too complacent about this virus. The reason why Hong Kong, Taiwan, Singapore, South Korea, and China (eventually) are able to keep this disease under control is because of serious commitment to social distancing measures (as well as widespread testing, contact tracing, and quarantines). Schools were closed, businesses told people to work at home, large gatherings are canceled, in Hong Kong at least everyone wears a mask outside and washes hands and disinfects frequently. There are widespread temperature checks. It is not business as normal here, it is serious, everyone is doing their part to prevent the virus from spreading. Our authorities are not downplaying it. It is possible to keep infections low, to keep deaths low, but not if people proceed as though it's business as usual. That's how you get Wuhan. That's how you get Lombardia. 

Sorry if this is a bit ranty, I'm just tired of people trying to downplay this epidemic, and I'm tired of how sclerotic and business-as-usual the response in some countries has been until it's too late. Like, maybe your individual chance of dying isn't that high if you're young and healthy, but what about the elderly, the immunocompromised, and those with pre-existing health conditions? Covid19 doesn't have to be a disaster, but it will be if people go on believing that there's not that much to be concerned about.

Anyway, as long as Evenko isn't refunding, I'm still going (I'm young, live by myself, and don't have regular contact with high risk groups), but I'll come with a supply of surgical masks and hand sanitizer and disinfectant wipes and I encourage everyone else who is showing up to do likewise if at all possible (though obviously don't buy masks if your area has a shortage and medical workers are having a hard time getting them). I also think that fans should avoid doing things like sharing meals as that increases the chance of disease spread.