Jump to content
Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not even close. There was one nation in BC that took their blockade down, but the blockade in Ontario is still up, and because of the way the rail network is built, this one blockade has shut down all rail travel/ shipping for Eastern Canada. CN, who owns the tracks, issued the first 450* of an estimated 1000 temporary layoffs to their workers in Eastern Canada today as a result. 

 

Without delving into too much detail, since it's very off topic for this forum, it's a delicate situation. 

 

* Just fact-checked this: yesterday CN said this is how many people they anticipate having to  lay off, but as of this morning, so far they've only laid off 10, in what they're calling 'progressive lay-offs' designed to make sure they can get rolling again the second the blockades end. 

 

 

 

I live on Vancouver Island near ground zero, and the situation is continuing to be very tense and intense.  Our BC Ferry has also been disrupted between Vancouver and the Island.  This is the issue where Canadians have a heavy cross to bear: centuries of injustice are boiling over onto the surface and it is not likely to settle soon.  In addition to Covid-19, this will have an impact on the Worlds, both directly and indirectly through the mood of the country. 

 

PS PM Trudeau has cancelled his overseas trip to address this growing insurrection at home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Umebachi said:

This is the issue where Canadians have a heavy cross to bear: centuries of injustice are boiling over onto the surface and it is not likely to settle soon.

Well, it's all stuff that should have been addressed years ago, but successive governments opted to kick the can down the road rather than deal with the divisive headache of reforming the necessary legislation and now those chickens are coming home to roost. On the other hand, a little more patience and flexibility taken on the part of the parties involved, before the deal for the pipeline got signed, probably could have avoided all this trouble altogether. They'd already spent five years trying to sort it out, why not take another six months or a year to make sure that they had unanimous support before proceeding? 

 

Anyway, it's a good object lesson in how vulnerable Canada's rail system really is to disruption. If I were the CEO of CN, I'd be thinking about ways to fix that. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

Not even close. There was one nation in BC that took their blockade down, but the blockade in Ontario is still up, and because of the way the rail network is built, this one blockade has shut down all rail travel/ shipping for Eastern Canada. CN, who owns the tracks, issued the first 450* of an estimated 1000 temporary layoffs to their workers in Eastern Canada today as a result. 

 

Without delving into too much detail, since it's very off topic for this forum, it's a delicate situation. 

 

* Just fact-checked this: yesterday CN said this is how many people they anticipate having to  lay off, but as of this morning, so far they've only laid off 10, in what they're calling 'progressive lay-offs' designed to make sure they can get rolling again the second the blockades end. 

 

 

Thanks for info.  I'll keep an eye on things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 часов назад, Cynthia сказал:

What time does everyone start lining up for each of the events? At ACI 2019 I was lining up at 6 AM with others while some of the fans camped out overnight.

Usually doors are open 1 hour before the event. So problems might start only if men's practice is very early or before Gala. In Saitama I was only lining up an hour before of doors opening before Gala, the main problem was they had one entrance for a big arena, but after opening check-ins went fast, so I was in my seat on time. Hope in Bell Center it will be better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been to bell center 4 times for sold out concerts. There are many doors around the arena so the longest Time was to wait for security around 15 min. In canada you wont be able to stand too long if it is cold, once i was there was -25C so people was waiting in the inside area. I would recommend to watch the weather to bring proper clothing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2020 at 8:54 AM, SparkleSalad said:

@Danaaaax33

Sorry to hear you won’t make it.
 

You might want to try posting in this thread as well to make sure more people see your ad. 

 

 

 

Okay, so I wanted to post my Day 6 and 5 tickets because they were in SECTION 209 - ROW E - SEAT 13 and SECTION 203 - ROW B - SEAT 5 (respectively and they're awfully high up), but I find out they're doing something different with the gala. What is going on with that? Does this have anything to do with Yuzuru? Just wondering how this year's gala format is going to differ from last year's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cynthia said:

Okay, so I wanted to post my Day 6 and 5 tickets because they were in SECTION 209 - ROW E - SEAT 13 and SECTION 203 - ROW B - SEAT 5 (respectively and they're awfully high up), but I find out they're doing something different with the gala. What is going on with that? Does this have anything to do with Yuzuru? Just wondering how this year's gala format is going to differ from last year's.


They’re still not telling us the details. So far all we know is they’re probably only inviting the medalists to perform and will fill the rest of the time with an awards show with a stage that will take up room on the ice as well as performances from non-competing skaters and acrobats from Art on Ice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, SparkleSalad said:


They’re still not telling us the details. So far all we know is they’re probably only inviting the medalists to perform and will fill the rest of the time with an awards show with a stage that will take up room on the ice as well as performances from non-competing skaters and acrobats from Art on Ice.

every time I see this description, I :sick:. Why can't they just let the competitors shine, and then maybe tack on a fun but short awards ceremony at the end, if they absolutely must? If I want to go to an ice show, SOI is coming in April and I can buy tickets for that. 

 

But at this point, I'm just grousing I guess. I'm so not a happy camper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

every time I see this description, I :sick:. Why can't they just let the competitors shine, and then maybe tack on a fun but short awards ceremony at the end, if they absolutely must? If I want to go to an ice show, SOI is coming in April and I can buy tickets for that. 

 

But at this point, I'm just grousing I guess. I'm so not a happy camper.

You're not the only one grousing.  I don't even know what the purpose of this "show" is - and no one knows what the program will be or where the stage will be or who will get to skate.  If this is truly suppose to expand the figure skating popularity base, this isn't the way to do it.  They're just making the fans crazy.  Is there ever a complaint about the gala? I doubt it.  Maybe they could un-geoblock their broadcasts.  That would get a lot more fans without alienating the ones they're going to lose after Yuzuru isn't competing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also the ridiculousness of holding voting before the season is over. How many of us voted for a costume and program that doesn’t exist anymore? Lucky for them their “star studded panel of judges” can just pick the least embarrassing option for themselves because our votes were meaningless anyway. :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is it normal that there is still no detailed schedule yet? How do we figure out, for a given day, which OP will occur at which arena? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quite normal. Entries close next Monday and the schedule will come out after that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, anniered said:

Quite normal. Entries close next Monday and the schedule will come out after that.

Thanks bud, I will wait for it before booking flight 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...