Alex_Trusova

2020 World Figure Skating Championships - Tickets and Discussion!

Hello, I’m new around here even though I’ve been a fan of yuzu for quite a while. This is my first time attending a figure skating event. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice (when to get to the event, what to bring, etc.) I don’t have much money so I’m on the cheapest sections of bell center. Thank you.

17 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Half empty where? 

Reveal hidden contents

kelowna

skate canada, 25th oct 2019

4 minutes ago, NILI N said:

kelowna

skate canada, 25th oct 2019

But it wasn't empty at all??? At least not for any of the men competition. It was packed. Anyone who was there can tell you that. The only section that was empty was the one behind the judges, because it was reserved as a passageway, basically, and not sold.

3 minutes ago, Veveco said:

But it wasn't empty at all??? At least not for any of the men competition. It was packed. Anyone who was there can tell you that. The only section that was empty was the one behind the judges, because it was reserved as a passageway, basically, and not sold.

i dont need anybody ti tell me what was there, since i was there myself n i definitely saw that it was far from packed

indeed behind the judges it was almost empty, but other areas were not full either. even not in Men;s comp

@NILI N The videos are right there and the seating map showed only a few unsold tickets for practices in the last rows on the short sides. For PRACTICES. For men’s events, the videos show it was clearly packed apart from what wasn’t sold in the first place. Not sure why you’d want people to believe otherwise. Even the commentators remarked on the nearly full house for Yuzu’s practices. 

14 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

@NILI N The videos are right there and the seating map showed only a few unsold tickets for practices in the last rows on the short sides. For PRACTICES. For men’s events, the videos show it was clearly packed apart from what wasn’t sold in the first place. Not sure why you’d want people to believe otherwise. Even the commentators remarked on the nearly full house for Yuzu’s practices. 

i am only saying what i saw, u dont have to believe.

i have no interest to make ppl believe other than what they want.

it may be true that the event was sold out, but also that many ppl didnt show up.

i was sitting behind the judges, in the part they did sell tix to. n more than half of the seats near me were empty [ n i am not talking about those ppl who moved to better seats right in the center behind judges, like i did]. i could see very clearly what was in front of me, just as i saw waves of ppl [jpn probably] arriving suddenly in the midst of the comp

the vids never show the whole arena

n there was absolutely NO full house during practices

3 hours ago, Exulzae said:

Hello, I’m new around here even though I’ve been a fan of yuzu for quite a while. This is my first time attending a figure skating event. I was wondering if anyone could give me any advice (when to get to the event, what to bring, etc.) I don’t have much money so I’m on the cheapest sections of bell center. Thank you.

You should get to the event a little early in case there's a line to get in.  The ticket or the website usually says how early the doors open.  It's usually 1/2 or 1 hour before the event.  If you arrive 1/2-hour early, you should be able to get in on time.  Yuzuru will probably not be skating in the first group, so it shouldn't be a mad rush to get to your seat. 

If you are going to practices, you might have the chance to move down to a seat closer to the ice, but, if the person with the ticket for that seat arrives, you have to move.  During most practices, there are plenty of seats near the ice.  During Yuzuru's practices, the seats closest to the ice will be full, but you might still be able to sit substantially closer than your ticketed seat.

It can be cold in arenas, but maybe not if you're sitting far back.  So, bring layers of clothes to add, if needed. 

A portable charger for your phone is useful.  You might want to bring binoculars.

If you take screenshots or make printouts of the time schedule (which you can find on the ISU website for the event), you can know when the different skaters will be warming up and skating.

11 hours ago, NILI N said:

that wasnt really the case in Kelowna

surprisingly enough it seemed half empty even when yuzu was competing.

only the gala was full house, almost

This is kind of off topic for this thread, so putting it behind spoilers.

Spoiler

I waited until Yuzu was confirmed before I bought my ticket and I ended up with row M. I also checked back later and the only seats left were some from the very back rows, so the event pretty much sold out. The practices were emptier than I expected. I was sitting in the front row during practice and wondered why the rightful owner of the seat didn't come to kick me out. When the competition started, I saw that the owners of those seats were elderly so I guess they didn't want to spend the entire day in the arena. Also, I know some people went sight-seeing instead of attending practice. The casual skating fans probably are not interested in practice, and I heard some people didn't even know about practice.

As for the competitions, I thought the arena was pretty packed. There were some empty seats, and that's bound to happen cuz we have to buy these tickets so far in advance and sometimes things come up and people can't attend. Or people buy tickets in the back and then find tickets closer to the front and can't sell their original tickets. Also, I suppose tours will buy blocks of tickets and maybe they don't end up selling all of them.  In addition, some people buy all-event tickets, but don't watch all the disciplines. There were 2 women in my row who watched dance and pairs, but left during the ladies competition, then came back for the men's. 

6 hours ago, Exulzae said:

I also recommend getting there early so you have enough time to get through the security check. Also, lines to the ladies room can be looong since it's mostly women attending the comps, so you want to allot some time for that too. Lol. 

10 hours ago, solene said:

It's not a gamble. Read the ratings and the comments before booking, that is easy. I travel a lot, and Airbnb is often the best option. I have never had any problem.

Avoid booking a place which does not have any comments or ratings.

A lost of hosts don't mention additional charge for the cleaning, because guests tend to think "I paid a charge for the cleaning. I can leave the place very dirty, I don't have to make any effort".

That does not mean they don't clean the place. There is a rating on cleanliness on Airbnb. You can check it before booking.

During your stay, you can ask your questions by Whatsapp/email/Airbnb app.

You can ask for the address of the place before booking, by sending a message to the host. You will not have the owner's name or phone number before booking, but after booking. That is perfectly normal. Otherwise, people would by-pass Airbnb.

I would rather give my money to a nice elderly italian couple (Airbnb hosts) like I did in Torino, rather than to give it to big corporations like Hilton or Accor.

Besides, it is cheaper...

There is a building with that name.

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_des_Canadiens

LOL. Such guys do not care/know about Yuzuru and figure skating events. 

Montreal is a big city, with large events every day. Center Bell is hosting hockey games every week. Celine Dion will give concerts there too.

Anyway, look for a Airbnb place with ratings and comments, and you will be fine.

Oooh, Celine Dion. I always joked around with my husband if her music echo's through the house while I'm watching skating. I said that I put on some music, just for him! We both so don't like her music. And then I saw that she had some shows in Bell Centre. Oh no! The 'new style gala'. An Award show with some famous musical guests. DON'T LET IT BE CELINE DION! Then I'm literally going to scream and so does my husband. ;);) 

24 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

If it’s Celine Dion I’m suing for emotional damages. :dpooh:

:happy0007:Haha, me too!! We'll see what the Award Show will bring.......

23 minutes ago, mrsaybia said:

:happy0007:Haha, me too!! We'll see what the Award Show will bring.......

My bet is on:
Buble PChan collaboration

Bieber Yuzu collaboration 

7 часов назад, SparkleSalad сказал:

My bet is on:
Buble PChan collaboration

Bieber Yuzu collaboration 

Only if I see PChiddi giving an award to Yuzu (or a collab number) than I'll forgive them this clownery show :rofl3:*or PPoS*

OK for this Gala/Awards thingy.  Anyone know which location on the ice the chairs are going to be???  Also are they there for full show or just awards part??