sallycinnamon

[2018/19] 4CC (04.02-10.02) - Men SP & FS

1 hour ago, rockstaryuzu said:

In Kolyada's case, I'm not sure training with Yuzu is the answer. Kolyada already has a work ethic and amazing technique. It's the mental game he needs to focus on, in my opinion. I don't know if that's something TCC could help him with.

He probably needs to get away from Russia. He seemed to do well at the start of the season fresh from his training camp with Arutyunyan in the U.S.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, Cassidy said:

Question is.... Would Boyang have won if Shoma's many URs were called?

Maybe?

Vincent does have a very over(?)-confident attitude that isn't going to endear him to fans. But while our rules state that constructive criticism is allowed, repeated criticism even when constructive becomes closer to bashing. So feel free to make your points but let's not to dwell on it too much. This was a decent event, all the top men skated well, and depending on the tech calls (which are limited in scope and thus will never be the "ground truth" even without bias) so many permutations of the podium would have been valid, including this one. :pbow:

If I may add, we also need to distinguish between criticising someone's skating and criticising their personality. The latter can quickly become unconstructive and insulting so it's best to avoid dwelling on such points of criticism specifically.

Putting under Spoiler because very long post. 

Rant about re-scoring 

Spoiler

Personally, I'd take any "re-scoring" from Twitter with more than a grain of salt. When there is an injustice perceived, usually overscoring, fans tend to over-compensate in the opposite direction, because we're human. I mean, maybe for a single element wrongly judged it's more accurate, but re-scoring/calling multiple elements becomes quickly a messy business that can be influenced by our own opinion on skaters. Yes, I sometimes scratch my head at the scores from the judges and won't shy from criticizing them, but fans aren't 100% fair either... (I know I'm certainly not) 

About Shoma's LP:

Spoiler

On a side note, I went to the LP with a friend who knows basically nothing about figure skating but as a dancer, I thought she would enjoy the performance. And, yes, we both had a blast. Interestingly, despite being American and very patriotic in general, her favorite LP was Shoma's. She watched spell-bound and afterwards said that she was really touched by the softness of his skating and his emotions. I remember finding his LP rather boring at the beginning of the season, but it's undeniable that Shoma also has a special smth that can touch people deeply when he's on. I know there is still the technical aspect, the scoring, the competition that people will talk about and debate... But for us it was just a very beautiful moment. :tumblr_inline_mqt4gqGr4o1qz4rgp:

Other random thoughts on the night:

Spoiler

Kazukiiii! Poor baby, it wasn't a great week for him. I hope he can find more consistency in his jumps because I otherwise really like how he puts his heart on the ice. :10742288:

Keiji had a lot of support from the  audience, both before and after his skate (there were quite a few Japanese fans, including just next to me, but it wasn't just them, he seemed well-loved overall). So glad he had a good LP and landed his quads after his so-so early season. Go Keiji :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

All Americans were obviously well-cheered for, but if I'm not mistaken Jason seemed to be the favorite of the crowd (but I could be biased) Also, good for him to go for the quad. Yes, it was UR with a bad landing, but it's a step in the right direction. I think it was a good mental improvement. Now, get those rotations clean, boy!

I didn't expect Jun to have that many URs called... And I'm apparently terrible at recognizing them live (like, reallllly bad) so seeing the score was a bit of a shock :13877886:the reawakening of the tech panel was brutal... Hopefully he'll fix that issue. Not expecting a miracle by worlds, but he's still very young and has time to improve.

Boyang got a good cheer too, which surprised me a bit but I was glad for. :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp: great to see him back in shape just in time for worlds. His golden blades are very..... shiny... even from afar. I love it. 

I rewatched the event with some friends afterwards on NBC, and wow, it's really all about quad-quad-quad-quad. I'm kinda glad I didn't have the commentary live. Although Johnny did make an interesting comment about Vincent, basically saying that his team pushed him to do all triples+quads a bit too early in his career and because it was rushed on him, Vincent has taken bad habits (meaning URs) and that it will be very difficult for him to correct that. He wasn't saying that the calls were unfair or making excuses, but saying that it will be hard for him to "unlearn" even if he wants to improve. I hope for him though that he can still fix it in the future. 

And that's it for my disorganized thoughts. Overall, it was really a fun event for me :67638860:

5 hours ago, Veveco said:

Putting under Spoiler because very long post. 

Rant about re-scoring 

Reveal hidden contents

Personally, I'd take any "re-scoring" from Twitter with more than a grain of salt. When there is an injustice perceived, usually overscoring, fans tend to over-compensate in the opposite direction, because we're human. I mean, maybe for a single element wrongly judged it's more accurate, but re-scoring/calling multiple elements becomes quickly a messy business that can be influenced by our own opinion on skaters. Yes, I sometimes scratch my head at the scores from the judges and won't shy from criticizing them, but fans aren't 100% fair either... (I know I'm certainly not) 

About Shoma's LP:

Hide contents

On a side note, I went to the LP with a friend who knows basically nothing about figure skating but as a dancer, I thought she would enjoy the performance. And, yes, we both had a blast. Interestingly, despite being American and very patriotic in general, her favorite LP was Shoma's. She watched spell-bound and afterwards said that she was really touched by the softness of his skating and his emotions. I remember finding his LP rather boring at the beginning of the season, but it's undeniable that Shoma also has a special smth that can touch people deeply when he's on. I know there is still the technical aspect, the scoring, the competition that people will talk about and debate... But for us it was just a very beautiful moment. :tumblr_inline_mqt4gqGr4o1qz4rgp:

Other random thoughts on the night:

Reveal hidden contents

Kazukiiii! Poor baby, it wasn't a great week for him. I hope he can find more consistency in his jumps because I otherwise really like how he puts his heart on the ice. :10742288:

Keiji had a lot of support from the  audience, both before and after his skate (there were quite a few Japanese fans, including just next to me, but it wasn't just them, he seemed well-loved overall). So glad he had a good LP and landed his quads after his so-so early season. Go Keiji :tumblr_inline_n18qrbDQJn1qid2nw:

All Americans were obviously well-cheered for, but if I'm not mistaken Jason seemed to be the favorite of the crowd (but I could be biased) Also, good for him to go for the quad. Yes, it was UR with a bad landing, but it's a step in the right direction. I think it was a good mental improvement. Now, get those rotations clean, boy!

I didn't expect Jun to have that many URs called... And I'm apparently terrible at recognizing them live (like, reallllly bad) so seeing the score was a bit of a shock :13877886:the reawakening of the tech panel was brutal... Hopefully he'll fix that issue. Not expecting a miracle by worlds, but he's still very young and has time to improve.

Boyang got a good cheer too, which surprised me a bit but I was glad for. :tumblr_inline_mqt4graWWO1qz4rgp: great to see him back in shape just in time for worlds. His golden blades are very..... shiny... even from afar. I love it. 

I rewatched the event with some friends afterwards on NBC, and wow, it's really all about quad-quad-quad-quad. I'm kinda glad I didn't have the commentary live. Although Johnny did make an interesting comment about Vincent, basically saying that his team pushed him to do all triples+quads a bit too early in his career and because it was rushed on him, Vincent has taken bad habits (meaning URs) and that it will be very difficult for him to correct that. He wasn't saying that the calls were unfair or making excuses, but saying that it will be hard for him to "unlearn" even if he wants to improve. I hope for him though that he can still fix it in the future. 

And that's it for my disorganized thoughts. Overall, it was really a fun event for me :67638860:

Very well put, and I would  agree.  I"m not very knowledgeable about Shoma's skating, but he did have "something" that night.  At the risk of sounding creepy,  when I think of his skate, I think of muscle encased in velvet. 

I haven't been posting online for some time but I really wanted to drop by and say how much i loved this competition!! I was at the men's FS in person and seeing the comp live was so eye opening! 

I have to say that Shoma has made me a total fan, I am still weeping over how beautiful the FS was

if you ask me, after seeing them all live id rank the skaters in SS like this

shoma/jason > keegan/jun > boyang >>> vincent/bradie

On 2/10/2019 at 2:30 PM, rockstaryuzu said:

How does anyone UR an euler? It's only a frickin' half a rotation in the first place!

I ask, because this issue same up during the GP season, too. 

An Euler is actually a full rotation, it just lands on the opposite foot (a loop, for most skaters, takes off and lands on the right foot, while an Euler takes off from the right foot and lands on the left inside edge). The term half-loop is entirely misleading. But my guess is they don't land the first jump correctly, and in an attempt to save the combo, the Euler becomes more of a step than a jump. I was very amused when Yuzu somehow did it last year :xD:

I guess it's a mistake on par with falling during the step sequence - embarrassing, but happens to anyone on a bad day. 

One thing I found interesting about the FS scoring is that Jason scored higher than Vincent  in spite of more serious mistakes and much lower base value.  Every once in a while there are flashes of the system working the way it's supposed to.

Call me a naive optimist, but I think scoring will improve over the next couple years.  Right now judges are still adjusting/taking advantage of having the new system as an excuse for corruption.

44 minutes ago, guitarist said:

An Euler is actually a full rotation, it just lands on the opposite foot (a loop, for most skaters, takes off and lands on the right foot, while an Euler takes off from the right foot and lands on the left inside edge). The term half-loop is entirely misleading. But my guess is they don't land the first jump correctly, and in an attempt to save the combo, the Euler becomes more of a step than a jump. I was very amused when Yuzu somehow did it last year :xD:

I guess it's a mistake on par with falling during the step sequence - embarrassing, but happens to anyone on a bad day. 

I just find the fact that it gets called for URs as amusing and kind of unbelievable at the same time... it's almost like getting GOEs for a bunny hop...

I'm actually kind of shocked people were impressed by the competition. I thought not a single skater gave a good performance. It was definitely the best competition of the season though.

OT but tbh mistakes don't really take away from a program for me the same way they do for others. For example, Yuna's programs at 2011 Worlds are one of my favorites of hers, and that free skate is hands down my favorite free skate. But she didn't skate perfectly in either. 

Skating skills and good performance ability are more important IMO.

On 2/11/2019 at 3:52 AM, TallyT said:

Oh now you've made me imagine a throne for Yuzu.  But not an iron one, nononono, let's have a gold one. And sparkly.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:08 AM, Paskud said:

Yes. And two big wings in background.

On 2/11/2019 at 4:09 AM, rockstaryuzu said:

And not just the throne, the whole room is sparkly because of those mirror mosaic scenes on the walls...

I could only find this one...would it fit for the absolute king??

qy2cfVv.png

whoa...those thrones... so much gold..... and yeah I think Yuzuru would look dashing up there:laughing: 

this tweet is a #mood

and we also celebrate anniversary of GPF15 and Helsinki H&L....crossing fingers that we can add one more(or even better a couple more) celebration day(s) for Origin (and Otonal) too :snonegai: and for the return of Spring :snpeace:

ETA: apparently posting on phone when you've sleepy is bad, you risk mixing threads LOL half post was meant for somewhere else:facepalm:

Well it still kinda fits so leaving it there 

:embSwan: