sallycinnamon

[2018/19] 4CC (04.02-10.02) - Men SP & FS

Shoma has presence on the ice...of course I wish he would try other styles or genre of music.

Not a lot of skaters have that ...I don't want to pick on anyone...but someone on the podium has none of that IMO

4 minutes ago, Katt said:

I'm quite agree with this. IMO if Nathan was here, they would call Shoma's UR. I don't think its concidence that Shoma's UR often get call when he was direct rival of Nathan. At both GPF, they make the same amount of mistake and judges went with Nathan. 

With Boyang, he need to be crystal clean, any wonky jump would likely get call, judges often don't give him much benefit of doubt

3 minutes ago, Yume said:

Sadly he will never catch up if his PCS don't get a major boost. And i don't think his own improvements will ever be enough to get that boost. It's always PCS that keeps him behind Shoma. Far behind. Like at junior worlds or 2015 gpf where he beat Shoma in TES but Shoma was 14 points ahead in PCS in the free (which i understand because back then Boyang's skating was terrible)

I hope that even if Boyang isn't paying attention (actually I think he is) at least his team is paying attention. 

As far as USfed is concerned, 2022 Men's OGM is theirs, especially if Yuzu's status is in doubt. The campaign has already started, and US fed wants to do away with as much home turf advantage as possible. His PCs has always been attacked, as for his jump technique, Weir (NBC commentator) has gone after his jump landings. Ideally, for the US, Boyang is placed in a position where his TES (due to GOEs) can never go above Nate, and his reputation in artistry will not rise significantly enough to pose a threat. Boyang didn't go to TCC, which makes this long and hard road, even harder. 

As for Shoma- in my opinion, visually and scoring wise, his PCS have stagnated. He has plenty of issues with the lutz jump that he likely won't ever get that 4Lz, and even his 4F has some issues so he won't combo off of it. Considering that all the top men, and even some not top men like Keegan have a 4Lz, this is a pretty significant disadvantage. 4CC is honestly the first time I've seen his PCS go past 90/91 all season, and that's possibly due to Nate not being here. Personally, IMO I don't think his SS or anything has improved drastically, and I'd probably score him lower than Jason in some marks-he's kind of a solid 87/88 for me (and Nate is around 82/83).  But more importantly, he's a non-issue due to the fact his UR issue is well known. That's a card that can be used at any time by any major fed. However, JPN currently has no other major man outside of Yuzu and Shoma, so whether JPN likes it not, if it wants its 3 men's spots, it has to back Shoma, else he is an easy target. 

IMO beijing quad is this (in USFed's mind at least):

1. Yuzu (if he stays)/Nate

2. Shoma

3. Boyang/Cha/Vincent

5 minutes ago, ICeleste said:

Can you enlighten me about his "marvelous artistry"? All I saw were crossovers, spins, jumps and 2 spread eagles

In term of choreo, Boyang and Shoma are on the same page, lack of transision and complexity. Howerver, Shoma has better speed, deeper edgework, better carriage and flow across the ice. and IMO he has better presence on ice. I don't agree with his PCS and GOE most of the time but there's no question that he should get better pcs than Boyang. 

3 minutes ago, shanshani said:

Shoma has great carriage and flow across the ice and does a good job interpreting the music. His footwork isn't as complex as Yuzu's, so Yuzu should get higher PCS overall, but here he is being compared to Boyang who has some of the same issues with simpler footwork. I don't actually particularly like Shoma because the GOEs he gets on his jumps annoy me to the point where it's hard to root for him, but having seen him skate in person he absolutely deserves the reputation for skating beautifully.

He should've had jumps called today but his performance and interpretation were honestly better than usual. He usually infuriates me because he does IntenseFocusedShoma over and over and over again but today he had sharpness during the dramatic parts and softness where the music needed that. His TR is pretty sad and I'm not thrilled with the composition of his free skate at all but his PE and IN were very good today, and his SS is very good, too. 

Off topic but I swear Yuzu is the only one that manages to make the euler not look like some kind of awkward, janky mistake.

1 minute ago, Ashley2162018 said:

I am lost at where Jun went wrong except on the quad toe at the start.

Please enlighten me in what happend?

I did the MOAR TEQUILA a little too well to find the protocols myself, somebody help because obviously what I need in my life is more rage and fury. But I'd say he had the 4T downgraded, and one each of 4S and 3A called UR. 

1 minute ago, kaeryth said:

Nothing wrong with the boy's confidence, that's for sure! :D

Just now, Ashley2162018 said:

He underrotated his jumps--it's hard to catch if you don't specifically look for it. He's had this issue this whole season, but sometimes the tech panel sees it and sometimes it doesn't. I think since Jun is so young and relatively tall, it might be harder for him to get all the way around. (Younger guys have less muscle and are less used to their adult body.)

What a great night to be in the arena. I feel like I gave standing ovation to so many skaters. (Probably too many, but I was captured by the moment) :tumblr_inline_n18qr5lPWB1qid2nw:

The energy was so amazing. You can feel the excitement in the air when the last 1.5 group started pulling out cleanish skates with great step sequences one after one.

So happy for Shoma to win his first big international Gold. So happy for Boyang to have landed his lutzes. And For Jason to have not popped the 4S, and just for everyone for skating so well. 

10 minutes ago, Ashley2162018 said:

He got 5 ur calls (6 if you count 1eu), out of 7 possible jumping passes. So bv and goe took a hit, to say the least

2 minutes ago, Nutmeg said:

I think Boyang has better choreo than Shoma this season.

Boyang's SP choreo is my favorite choreo this season besides Yuzu's :D Not sold on the FS yet, but it was better here than I've ever seen it.