sallycinnamon

[2018/19] 4CC (04.02-10.02) - Men SP & FS

5 minutes ago, LeadenMyr said:

Yes, exactly. 

Honestly, this whole competition was SUCH a mess. If things were fair, the only thing I'm sure of is Shoma would have podiumed, Boyang would have won, Vincent would be off podium and Jun too. Maybe Jason would have been on the podium? I am ashamed to say that I didn't pay enough attention to Keegan and his scores to see if they were fair... 

I'm thinking that if it weren't for Vincent's over-inflated SP score, Keegan would have podiumed today, all other things being the same. 

7 minutes ago, Xen said:

Honestly, if I were to use politics to explain stuff, the result isn't that surprising. 

IMO, this is how it's ranked. 

1. Yuzu-of the non-JP feds, only US views itself as having a competitor that could reach Yuzu's level, and it's Nathan. I think in China, usually we view Yuzu as just too high above, so it's a pointless political fight to get into. 

2. US fed views Shoma, Nate and Boyang to be a cluster, but since 4Lz is the bigger threat, USfed goes after Boyang first. JPN also goes after Boyang and CHN fed goes after both Nate and Shoma. 

3. USfed views Vincent as a potential backup for Nathan, and will boost Vincent versus Shoma and Boyang, but views Boyang as an easier target due to PCS cookies that Boyang never gets. 

4. Hence if both Shoma and Boyang are equally clean, Boyang gets more likely targeted, because he's a bigger threat due to his TES and the fact he doesn't have a UR issue that can be called at any time (which Shoma does have)

In so far as politics go, I think Shoma is just a side distraction since he lacks the 4Lz and 4Lz3T combo, plus has a giant UR issue. It does however, keep Japan distracted since JPN feels compelled to protect Shoma (if only just to protect its 3 spots). The most plausible TES threat to US is Boyang-and if you look at US commentary and Boyang erasure, it's kinda obvious that there is a dis-credibility campaign going on (if this were a political race). 

(BTW, my bet is that if Nathan were skating here and went clean, Shoma would either get calls, or that PCS will drop to under 90 which is what happened at GPF).

I'm quite agree with this. IMO if Nathan was here, they would call Shoma's UR. I don't think its concidence that Shoma's UR often get call when he was direct rival of Nathan. At both GPF, they make the same amount of mistake and judges went with Nathan. 

With Boyang, he need to be crystal clean, any wonky jump would likely get call, judges often don't give him much benefit of doubt

2 minutes ago, hopeandlegacy2018 said:

Like youth winter olympics and Asian winter games ( that gold should have been boyang’s btw, that comp was in Japan, it was ugly. ) 

Shoma and Boyang have been competing together since they were little. Hope Boyang can improve and catch up! 

Sadly he will never catch up if his PCS don't get a major boost. And i don't think his own improvements will ever be enough to get that boost. It's always PCS that keeps him behind Shoma. Far behind. Like at junior worlds or 2015 gpf where he beat Shoma in TES but Shoma was 14 points ahead in PCS in the free (which i understand because back then Boyang's skating was terrible)

I was at GPF 2018 and I much preferred Shoma's performance over Nathan's.  Shoma was way more artistic IMO, I found Nathan to be

very 'wooden' in his jumps, landings and overall carriage

Tbh I wish Biyang could have performed better himself because he can. Yuzuru was lowballed and underscored very much from 2012 to 2014, even a bit afterwards... but what he did is that he skated so well, he improved so much, he didn't give the judges any excuse to lowball him. You can only control what YOU do on the ice, and this Yuzuru knows. So I know there's politics and favoritisms, but there's also skating, and I want Boyang to work hard on those landings, perfect those jumps so you can gather +goes here and there, and then he will make it impossible for the skating world to keep ignoring him...

The reality is that some always have to work harder than others, and it's unfair, but I wish Boyang will embrace the challenge... I want him to shiiiine! 

Spoiler

An annoying thing about being a Yuzuru fan is that his technique is basically perfect, his musicality is unparalleled and his skating skills gorgeous, he puts so much thought into his programs, he has such difficult transitions and such intricate footwork, not to mention his incredible spins. 

He is never going to be overscored, only ever underscored. I am doomed to a permanent state of deep frustration. 

Eta: I did not mean to put a spoiler and I don’t know how to remove it. Oh well :68468287:

It’s OT anyway

2 minutes ago, Dreamer said:

I was at GPF 2018 and I much preferred Shoma's performance over Nathan's.  Shoma was way more artistic IMO, I found Nathan to be

very 'wooden' in his jumps, landings and overall carriage

Yeah, I agree. I think you can justify Nathan winning because he does have much better jump technique, but the score difference was, imo, kind of shocking. They made a similar amount of mistakes, so imo they should have been neck and neck--Shoma off superior artistry, Nathan of superior jump technique.

I liked Boyang's spirit...he kept plugging away....one of his combos had almost zero flow coming out...but he is still smiling.

Ga yow,(add oil), Boyang!!

hace 9 minutos , shanshani said:

Shoma has technical issues, but that was a pretty marvelous skate artistically and Boyang's not quite there yet for his FS

Can you enlighten me about his "marvelous artistry"? All I saw were crossovers, spins, jumps and 2 spread eagles

1 minute ago, caterpillar said:
  Hide contents

An annoying thing about being a Yuzuru fan is that his technique is basically perfect, his musicality is unparalleled and his skating skills gorgeous, he puts so much thought into his programs, he has such difficult transitions and such intricate footwork, not to mention his incredible spins. 

He he is never going to be overscored, only ever underscores. I am doomed to a permanent state of deep frustration. 

Spoiler

Mostly. Of course there are moments when judges lose their minds and overscore him on GOE but they're usually isolated incidents and not very common.

Well, judging controversies aside, that was a marvelous night of phenomenal skating. There were no major meltdowns (other than poor Kazuki :tumblr_inline_n2pjd9Lx401qdlkyg:) and everyone gave the best they were capable of, so all the men who landed in the top 12 can feel proud of their efforts. 

You can't ask any more from a competition than that...oh, wait.

5 minutes ago, yuzupon said:

Hide contents

Also, so that I have it on record here. You should all be prepared for the homecooked scores in WC for Uno and Miyahara (this will be the test whether they still have her back, or drop her now that they have Kihira who also comes from the same coach). There I said it. Hidden because OT, somehow.

I don't know about homecooked scores but the media definitely will be hyped for Rika. Satoko has lost her JPN national title to Kaori and Rika has won over Satoko during gps so unfortunately Satton may not have her usual treatment if she's received one in the past...

As for Shoma, if they can see Yuzu is not 100%, Shoma may get boost but if Yuzu's in his top shape when he hits the ice, there's no way Yuzu'd lose with or without so called homecooked scores.  

Just now, ICeleste said:

Can you enlighten me about his "marvelous artistry"? All I saw were crossovers, spins, jumps and 2 spread eagles

Shoma has great carriage and flow across the ice and does a good job interpreting the music. His footwork isn't as complex as Yuzu's, so Yuzu should get higher PCS overall, but here he is being compared to Boyang who has some of the same issues with simpler footwork. I don't actually particularly like Shoma because the GOEs he gets on his jumps annoy me to the point where it's hard to root for him, but having seen him skate in person he absolutely deserves the reputation for skating beautifully.