[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

28 minutes ago, Fay said:

Actually, it would leave the same aftertaste with me even if they only chose to speak of adult skaters. This sort of “humour” just puts me off - ok, there are certain contexts where it would be ok-ish, but to see this on television about a fellow skater - or any other athlete, come to that, - is just so much wtf. 
I won’t be sorry for them to leave commentating behind. Both come across as narcissistic beings, really. 

Agreed but it makes it so so much worse that it's such a young sport and one in with commentary isn't completely removed from judging.

I hope they both lose their jobs. 

22 minutes ago, SparkleSalad said:

Agreed but it makes it so so much worse that it's such a young sport and one in with commentary isn't completely removed from judging.

I hope they both lose their jobs. 

Or at least, make very serious amends.

5 hours ago, Fay said:

Meanwhile Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski took part in a vulgar spoof making dirty jokes about Bradie Tennell. I always thought they weren’t really smart, but this is downright stupid 

:headdesk:

5 hours ago, Fay said:

Actually, it would leave the same aftertaste with me even if they only chose to speak of adult skaters. This sort of “humour” just puts me off - ok, there are certain contexts where it would be ok-ish, but to see this on television about a fellow skater - or any other athlete, come to that, - is just so much wtf. 
I won’t be sorry for them to leave commentating behind. Both come across as narcissistic beings, really. 

Unfortunately, they're pretty typical of NBC Olympic sports coverage as a whole...it's all cringe-worthy and often inappropriate. It's like they can't find a single professional in the whole country.

2 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

Tara and Johnny have always only been out for their next 5 minutes of fame. They're only in this for themselves and could care less about victims or fairness.

Do you think it is that? They seemed to be mostly targeting themselves in that bitchy fit of theirs, and "only incidentally" Bradie Tennell. What I don't understand is why Tara Lipinski put it on her Instagram account because it was so mean and, as you all said, bringing something to that nest of abuse. And I don't understand why they haven't sent apologies yet.

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, yuzuangel said:

oh no f*ck this shit

This is terrible, I can’t believe she was gaslighted to believe this is normal :( how can all these coaches do this?? Abuse young children who have beautiful dreams they want to work hard for?

Some of her words echo those of Elliana Pogrebinsky from just a few days ago.

Not surpising, sadly, that at a point, looking around, her younger self started believing that the abuses were just strictness and something necessary to succed.

I watched her skate in that Nebelhorn2017 she mentions: this sport is such that it's really hard to see beyond the appearance. Just like skaters are taught to shrug off hard falls that would make any other person sit stunned for several moments (when not yelping in pain), they are also taught to accept a great deal of things with the promise of success. And why should they doubt their coaches, the adults they trust, when everyone goes along with those methods and beahviours?

Jessica is right when she says it's something that isn't just limited to one Country. Abusive coaching methods are that dirty little secret everyone in FS knows but it's rarely talked about on media... for some it isn't even a "dirty" secret, but just how things ought to be. There are far too many apologizers around (heck, there are people who look at Nini punching the ice in frustration and from that deduct she is ill-tempered and use that to downplay her mom's abuses:facepalm:). Even when it is talked about, it often degenerates into a "haters vs fanatics of coach X" or in a "holier than thou" attitude towards certain nations. This is why Jessica's post is even more significant - she has experienced abuses under Chinese system, but she was empowered to talk thanks to stories from other places and even different sports.

It feels that lately more and more stories are coming to light - off the top of my head, also France, Sweden, USA, Russia. Possibly the reckoning that's happening in gymnastics is empowering skaters (mostly retired skaters, at this point), but ISU is still there turning one or two blind eyes and making things even harder for those who are still competing.

Hoping FS won't need a big scandal for this matter to become a hot topic

I still haven't watched the Netflix doc, hope I'll get to see it, but in the meanwhile, I wanted to share this subbed documentary, it's about rhythmic gymnastics and OGM Margarita Mamun

16 hours ago, yuzuangel said:

:/

it really looks like FS a LOOOOOOOOONG way to go to properly address abuses :( What the heck of a statement is that? No evidence submitted? Just say that J/C is your best pairs team (and the only hope for a potential 2022 team medal)

The revolution of Feb is being proved to be nothing more than facade. How (not)nice.

23 minutes ago, aribou said:

Disgusting! These people are infuriating.

It sounds like they held a hearing without asking for evidence? Why bother having such a hearing at all? Especially since the appropriate measures needed to get the evidence could currently be tied up due to corona or unavailable due to ongoing investigations in the US...