[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

• 4 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, SitTwizzle said:

Is it really established that she is?

I don't think so, as Takahashi's agent denied that (as mentioned). Very few cases are "established" in FS world - that's the core of the problem and that's what this article is about. But I appreciate that they listed it as a significant case to show it's a problem of entire skating world, no matter what country and culture.

• 2 months later...

Tangentially related, goes to show it's in every sport:

https://ca.yahoo.com/news/top-u-swim-coaches-abused-192548406.html

(By the way, the above article hits home for me as we had a coach at my swim club in the 1980s who "seduced" (groomed, he definitely groomed her) a girl a year older than me aka 16 (and at the time I was swimming for the club!) and then dragged her off to another city with him after the club found out what he was up to and fired him. The club wasn't able to take any further action than to warn the next place that hired him unfortunately, as there were no further mechanisms available at the time (late 80's).)

• 3 weeks later...

Meanwhile Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski took part in a vulgar spoof making dirty jokes about Bradie Tennell. I always thought they weren’t really smart, but this is downright stupid 

Actually, it would leave the same aftertaste with me even if they only chose to speak of adult skaters. This sort of “humour” just puts me off - ok, there are certain contexts where it would be ok-ish, but to see this on television about a fellow skater - or any other athlete, come to that, - is just so much wtf. 
I won’t be sorry for them to leave commentating behind. Both come across as narcissistic beings, really.