[TW] Sexual Abuse & Misconduct in Figure Skating

From what I understand (and I have long suspected as much, though very distant from ice skating until I saw what Yuzuru Hanyu could make of it) the whole bunch is rotten, at the head of the FFSG as well as in main rink clubs on which Gailhaguet has long forced his favourites to help reelecting him (these clubs having more electoral weight than smaller ones). And I don't know what to think of Sports Minister Roxana Maracineanu (always "the compliant type" but there can happen good surprises among them), have no confidence in the government (ready to catch a few votes in forcing Gailhaguet to resign, but at best not willing anything too hard to do, at worst having in mind a new rotten team), I am not super optimistic as to the future. And that's only French federation, it doesn't seem to be the only one rotten.

Gabriella Papadakis expressed her support towards Nathalie Pechalat candidature and towards women who spoke out about sexual abuse.

Google translatoin:

Following the recent cataclysmic events which occurred within the French Federation of Ice Sports, I would like to publicly share my support for the candidacy of @nathaliepechalat as well as and especially to all the women who had the strength and the courage to speak out to denounce all sexual abuse that has been suppressed for too long. Sport must be a place of fulfillment, where one must feel safe. A great feminine force is being deployed, and it is time.

Source:

Upsetting thoughts under spoiler.

Spoiler

This whole post at FSU (in their second thread about the topic, the first one was very informative as well, hope it's okay to bring those links here) is HORRIFYING. So many girls have talked about having stuff happen at the hands of several different men, I'm sorry, but I'm just coming away from it with the impression that every single French elite skater has been sexually abused in one way or another... And if that's happening in France, is it happening everywhere else as well?
Burn it all to the ground!

4 hours ago, GraceAndPower said:

Upsetting thoughts under spoiler.

Reveal hidden contents

This whole post at FSU (in their second thread about the topic, the first one was very informative as well, hope it's okay to bring those links here) is HORRIFYING. So many girls have talked about having stuff happen at the hands of several different men, I'm sorry, but I'm just coming away from it with the impression that every single French elite skater has been sexually abused in one way or another... And if that's happening in France, is it happening everywhere else as well?
Burn it all to the ground!

Ugh

Spoiler

That is beginning to look like systematic abuse by a group of predators. Only a police investigation would be able to say for sure.

gonna be brutally honest and say that these latest developments -- the interim president defending Didier and the upcoming election with two candidates that... don't really get my enthusiastic support -- are making me increasingly pessimistic about a complete and definitive overhaul. Current environment is rotten (judging from the several people speaking out and all the prominent names involved in abuse and the covering of those abuses) and is gonna stay rotten if the message is that abusers are gonna get away with everything again.

There needs to be and exemplary punishment and it looks like that's exactly what is NOT gonna happen.

One can only hope that the minister is sufficiently fired up to refuse to accept business as usual with a new figurehead and insists on a root and branch reform - or kicks the existing body into touch and puts it in the hands of a new organisation. This will solve nothing.

17 hours ago, LadyLou said:

gonna be brutally honest and say that these latest developments -- the interim president defending Didier and the upcoming election with two candidates that... don't really get my enthusiastic support -- are making me increasingly pessimistic about a complete and definitive overhaul. Current environment is rotten (judging from the several people speaking out and all the prominent names involved in abuse and the covering of those abuses) and is gonna stay rotten if the message is that abusers are gonna get away with everything again.

There needs to be and exemplary punishment and it looks like that's exactly what is NOT gonna happen.

I was expecting Peizerat to run and win. But I guess he has talked too loudly about reform for any of the old guard to support him. 

9 minutes ago, rockstaryuzu said:

I was expecting Peizerat to run and win. But I guess he has talked too loudly about reform for any of the old guard to support him. 

Afaik, he and others, including Sarah Abitbol, formed a collective that is working to offer some kind of proposal to the ministry (I think like maybe a proposal for a new organization, if things will to go that far, to show that yes, even that is a viable solution). He felt first-hand the disappointment of running against the old establishment only to crash against the insurmountable wall of Didier&co :/ That experience probably made him & those who supported him both distrustful and more cautious. It basically was like attempting a coup and failing, skaters and coaches and clubs who had picked "the wrong side" probably had to deal with heavy retaliation by Didier &co.

Maybe Gwendal wants to wait for the next move by the ministry and if there won't be decertification, he will run himself in these elections or officially support one of the candidates. At the moment, yes, he is one of those that inspires more trust (Most info came from the FSU thread linked by @GraceandPower above)

20 hours ago, LadyLou said:

I must admit, I was immediately skeptical when I heard of Pechalat's candidacy for FFSG presidency — one cannot reform, let alone revolutionize, the whole organization just by proposing a female candidate. I later hold myself on that and try not to be so skeptical about it — I knew little of the actual situation after all. 

This plan, however, legitimized my skepticism. Even if this turns out to be a compromise of sorts, I just feel that... No... One should not compromise with those buggers...

I support Sports Minister Roxana's effort to raze FFSG to the ground and rebuild it — she has no reason to hold back on that, and I truly hope that that's truly her plan, along with other former skaters that sincerely support this cause (Peizerat, Abitbol, etc.)

More French child athlete abuse in the Times today - this time a runner, Ophelie Claude - Boxburger, who says that her coach abused her as a young teenager and has admitted to secretly doping her.  The man on this occasion is involved with her mother, who seems to be part of the hush up.

On 2/19/2020 at 10:19 AM, Sombreuil said:

More French child athlete abuse in the Times today - this time a runner, Ophelie Claude - Boxburger, who says that her coach abused her as a young teenager and has admitted to secretly doping her.  The man on this occasion is involved with her mother, who seems to be part of the hush up.

:headdesk:Sweet J**us Murphy on a stick...

On 2/14/2020 at 4:47 PM, rubyblue said:

Gabriella Papadakis expressed her support towards Nathalie Pechalat candidature and towards women who spoke out about sexual abuse.

Google translatoin:

Following the recent cataclysmic events which occurred within the French Federation of Ice Sports, I would like to publicly share my support for the candidacy of @nathaliepechalat as well as and especially to all the women who had the strength and the courage to speak out to denounce all sexual abuse that has been suppressed for too long. Sport must be a place of fulfillment, where one must feel safe. A great feminine force is being deployed, and it is time.

Source:

Ooof did Gabi delete her Insta post?

In other news, not sure if this is relevant (would be happy for our mods to delete if it isn’t). I’m aghast but unfortunately not surprised that Art On Ice is allowing Morgan Cipres to perform like nothing has happened.

8 minutes ago, jitterbug70 said:

In other news, not sure if this is relevant (would be happy for our mods to delete if it isn’t). I’m aghast but unfortunately not surprised that Art On Ice is allowing Morgan Cipres to perform like nothing has happened.

Check recent posts in General skating chat, we were discussing it there.